All going wrong

10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

County -  A solid 2-1 away win at Gillingham. "That man" Macauley Langstaff put them ahead in the 38th minute, Gillingham equalised just after half time and Lewis Macari got the points for Notts with a goal in the 78th minute. The win was not enough to return them to the top of the ladder and remain second 2 points behind Stockport. An obviously frustrated Gillingham collected two yellow cards in added time at the end of the game.

Three home games in a row starting with Newport County on Tuesday.

Stags - Match postponed due to waterlogged pitch. Away at Harrogate Town on Tuesday.

Forest - 29,361 fans saw Forest snatch defeat from the jaws of victory this afternoon at the City Ground. A second half brace from Chris Wood saw Forest seemingly cantering to victory yet inexplicably conceded two goals in the last ten minutes of the game and share the points. Simply not good enough against a lowly team like Luton. Now five games without a win and slowly sliding down the table. Home against Villa next Sunday.

The way that Notts bounced back after being well beaten by Mansfield last week shows immense character particularly against Gillingham the early front runners in L2. Even with midfield general John Bostock missing Notts controlled the game for long periods and thoroughly deserved their win. Lewis Macari had a very assured debut crowned with a cracking goal.

A win on Tuesday is essential to get ready for the visit of Hollywood next Saturday. We pricked their bubble at Meadow Lane last season. Here's hoping for a repeat performance this season. COYP.

I can't say I'm not worried about Mansfield. They certainly looked the business against Notts are are still unbeaten. Clough Jnr. rightly points out that if they had been able able to convert just two of their eight draws into wins they would have been second behind Stockport but with a game in hand. Maybe this is going to be their year after all. I don't begrudge them promotion particularly if Notts can go up too.

Forest are starting to look unconvincing as a mid table Premiership side and Steve Cooper needs to get them a win or two quickly or they could be back in the mire by Christmas. He's clearly a decent bloke but you can't let your heart rule your head in competitive sport. Personally I think they are going to continue to struggle because of mounting injuries and lack of firepower but what do I know?

• Like 2
  • Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Football is/was the beautiful game..........nobody loved the game more than me.......played till i was nearly 40....loved Forest and County...........however money took over alot of years ago now....

Just when you thought the world couldn't get any more unbelievable and ridiculous.....   Forest 1 - 0 Liverpool.

Forest in 2nd division......early 50s   Run by a commitee.. Reserves in Midland league.. Trent end 1/6 Players going to Ground on the Bus... Had to take a job in Summer

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I have said that for a long time but nothing seems to happen. Why?

Oz,

Cooper is clearly a defensive minded manager and he could well be telling his players that if they don't concede they can't lose. 

He just doesn't seem to put much emphasis on attacking.

Since Forest have been in the Premier League they have only won one game when they've conceded first. If the opposition scores first then Forest will usually lose. At best they may scrape a draw.

Attacking football just isn't Cooper's forte at all.

• Like 3

Maybe it's in the RED MEN'S training??                                 Just a thought but instead of doing a full training session when they get to the last 5/3 mins." they think It's All over" 

well it is for them.

Come back Brian Clough & Taylor. 

just a few of Brian Clough's quotes.

"Now then young man""

"The seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in the mirror rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that."

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business but I was in the  TOP ONE "

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mess said:

Cooper is clearly a defensive minded manager and he could well be telling his players that if they don't concede they can't lose. 

All they have to do is score 1 more goal than the opposition. Something they seem incapable of doing.

• Like 1

County - Dan Cowley put the Magpies ahead in the 24th minute and "that man" Macauley Langstaff scored a brace ten minutes either side of half time to secure a comprehensive 3-0 home win against Newport County. The win leaves them in second on the ladder, two points below Stockport. The win improves their goal difference which is way behind Stockport and the Stags may prove crucial come seasons end. Home against Hollywood FC on Saturday.

Stags - A meagre 2,304 turned out at Harrogate Town's Wetherby Rd ground to see the Stags score regularly to win 1-4 with a brace in two minutes from Lucas Atkins. The win still leaves them in 4th place a point below Hollywood FC. Notts could do the Stags a big favour by beating Wrexham on Saturday whilst they play Walsall on Saturday at Field Mill.

A Notts side without 3 regulars (Cameron, Bostock and McGoldrick) were still able to overcome a very poor Newport side 3-0. 
Jodi Jones ran Newport's defence ragged with an outstanding MOTM performance. The Notts midfield was far too good for Newport with Lewis Macari and Dan Crowley looking very impressive. Sam Slocombe had a quiet night as Notts strolled to victory. Luke Williams has got some big selection decisions coming up on Saturday. A nice problem to have. 
Wrexham are on a good run of form so it’s a cracking game in prospect.

Mansfield seem to have forgotten how to lose. An impressive win at Harrogate last night keeps them right up there with the pacemakers. Notts couldn't slow them down so I'm wondering who can?
L2 has some good teams fighting it out at the top so it's consistency that's going to make the difference. Leaders Stockport have taken 28 points from their last 10 games.

It's interesting to note however that Mansfield managed to beat Stockport back at the start of the season. That along with their win at Notts have to go down as two fantastic results for the Stags.

• Like 2

County - In the battle between the promotion rivals, two goals in 4 minutes saw Hollywood beat County 0-2 at Meadow Lane. 16,000 fans were on hand as County had the bulk of possession but could not find the net in a game that saw 5 yellow cards handed out. The loss still leaves them in second spot but now 5 points adrift of Stockport. Next Saturday sees them play Crawley Town at home in the first round of the FA Cup.

Stags - Beat mid table Walsall 2-1 at Field Mill, Jordan Bowery's 71st minute goal was enough to break the deadlock and give the Stags a win which keeps them if 4th place one point behind County and Wrexham. Another game with 5 yellow cards. Still unbeaten in all competitions this season. Home against league one Port Vale in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night and then will be tested at home by Wrexham in the FA Cup on Saturday.

Yellow cards - In 16 games this season Notts have received 35 yellow cards and Stags 31. Is it just me or are far more yellow cards being issued than there used to be or is it stricter interpretation of the rules by the referees?

• Like 2

Notts missed several chances in the first half and paid the price in the second half.

Wrexham's goalie was very good but Mullin should have been sent off when he kicked out at Jodi Jones who had an excellent game.

Wrexham had to put three men on him and he still got away to put in his trademark crosses.

Wrexham's Lee was a real handful. His goal was a deflection BTW.

A draw would have been fair. Phil Parkinson has got his team well versed in the dark arts.

A fully fit Matt Palmer and John Bostock would have got us the win but we're still second and there's still a long way to go.

Mansfield and Stockport look the strongest teams in L2 at the moment. Let's hope Notts can grab the third automatic promotion place.
I can't see Wrexham getting anything from Mansfield next Saturday. The Stags played much better than Wrexham at Meadow Lane without resorting to the rough stuff.

Forest are 2-0 down to Liverpool as I write and with Everton winning earlier they could slip down another place by the end of the afternoon.

A point against Villa next week would be a great and much needed point. Bournemouth have started winning and Burnley don't look a bad team. Sorry but at the moment Sheffield, Luton and Forest are favourites for the drop. A long way to go but unless Forest can get a win soon it will only get worse.

• Like 2

Forest - A 3-0 loss to Liverpool at Anfield sees the slide down the table continue and with again no goals on the scoresheet. This lack of goals will only result in one outcome, relegation. Like County and Mansfield's games there were 5 yellow cards issued in a game where Liverpool outplayed Forest in all aspects of the game. Forest had only one shot on target in the whole game again reflecting their main problem, goalscoring. Home against 5th placed Villa next Sunday so probably no points there.

• Like 1

Stags - Lose their unbeaten in all competitions tag when they were beaten by Port Vale 0-1 in the Carabao Cup 4th round at Field Mill last night in front of 7,432 fans. It was a goal just after half time then ended Mansfield Towns impressive run. In a game where the possession was shared the difference was the number of shots on target with the Stags having only one and Port Vale having seven. Home against Hollywood United in the first round of the FA Cup on Saturday. Should be a close game.

County - After going behind in the 3rd minute to a goal by Danilo Orsi-Dadomo which was cancelled out 10 minutes later by Dan Crowley. Notts scrambled to a 3-2 win in front of only 3,952 fans at Meadow Lane. McGoldrick gave Notts the lead in the 58th minute, then Crawley Town equalised with Orsi-Dadomo second for the game. "That man" Macauley Langstaff scored the winner for Notts 15 minutes from the end of the game. It was a game that saw 4 Magpies given yellow cards against one for Crawley. Away against the Imps on Tuesday evening in the EFL Trophy.

Stags - Exit the cup in the first round with a 1-2 home loss to Hollywood United (Wrexham). Stags were always behind in this one and only managed to find the net in the 60th minute to claw one back after going behind 0-2 two minutes earlier. Their run comes to an end with two home defeats in a row. Away at mid-table Salford City next Saturday.

Forest away at 5th placed Ason Villa on Sunday, not expecting much joy there.

11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Notts scrambled to a 3-2 win in front of only 3,952 fans at Meadow Lane.

I suspect the weather may have played a part there; it was incredibly wet, cold, and unpleasant.

On another local point, today (Sunday) ITV1 are showing the Chesterfield v Portsmouth match live.

2-0   2-0   2-0    OH MIST ROLLING IN FROM THE TRENT

YOU MUST HAVE FAITH IN THE RED MEN!!!!!!

5 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Bloody hell what happened to Forest Oz?

Forest - For me a very unexpected but welcome 2-0 win at the City Ground for the Tricky Trees and finally a couple of goals! A crowd of just over 29,000 turned out to see Forest take a 5th minute lead followed by a second just after half time. It was a match in which the stats would have indicated a Villa win but Forest who only had three shots on target converted two of them. Villa who had the same number did not. It was the Reds first win in seven matches and takes them into just below mid table on the ladder. Forest goalkeeper debutant made a couple of fine saves. I am not making an attempt to spell his name right but it certainly fills a space on the team sheet. Away at West Ham who are one place above them next Sunday.

12 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

On another local point, today (Sunday) ITV1 are showing the Chesterfield v Portsmouth match live.

Yes Cliff Ton, the Spireites beat Top of the table league one side Pompey 1-0 at home to earn a second round home tie against Leyton Orient.

Eighth tier Isthmian league Cray Valley earned a replay against League One Charlton with a 1-1 away draw. I just love it when the minnows get a shock win.

The Rams scrambled a 2-2 draw away draw against Crewe with two goals in the last five minutes of the game.

Alfreton beat Worthing 2-0 at home which earns them a home tie against Walsall in round two.

21 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Nice to see Chesterfield being classed as local.....i like to see teams from next door winning....even Derby county...and Lincoln City...........except when they play Notts or Forest........

County - Suffer a heartbreaking 90+8 minute penalty loss away at Crewe Alexander in a game which saw them get 5 yellow cards to Crewe's 2. The loss sees them tumble from 2nd to 5th place. Home against Bradford City in an early kick off next Saturday.

Stags - Move into an automatic promotion spot with a 1-2 away win at Salford City in front of a poor crowd of 3,281 saw Stags take the lead in the 19th minute. Salford equalised 3 minutes later and Davis Keillor-Dunn hit the winner 15 minutes later, his 14th goal in 30 appearances since joining the Stags in Jan 2023.

• Like 1

Oz,

It might be time to get some money on Mansfield. They are looking quite formidable. They're third with a game in hand and are playing very well (in the league)

Notts have slipped a bit in the last few weeks and the last minute penalty they conceded at Crewe yesterday was extremely disappointing. A draw would have been fair but football continues to confound the pundits with alarming regularity. Notts have certainly missed John Bostock but it looks like he could be on the bench next Saturday. Palmer is a huge loss but getting Dan Gosling on loan is a great move and should pay dividends.

It's rumoured that Conor Keeley will be joining Notts shortly. He became a free agent when the Irish League season ended. He's a highly rated central defender who stands 6’ 4” yet is very quick and skilful so the defence will get a huge boost when he arrives.

I expect the Notts turnaround to begin next week.

Forest are at West Ham this afternoon. I suspect Cooper will send them out to respect the point as Neil Ardley used to say when he managed Notts.

If West Ham score early it will be a struggle for Forest to get anything, but Cooper really deserves a huge pat on the back for the result against Villa last week.

18 hours ago, Mess said:

If West Ham score early it will be a struggle for Forest to get anything,

So it proved Mess!

Forest - In Cooper's 50th match as Forest manager they fell behind to a third minute goal but fought back well and snatched the lead with goals from Awoniyi in the 45th minute and Murillo in the 64th. The lead did not last long as two minutes later the Hammers equalized. Sadly again a point was lost when Soucek hit the winner for the Hammers two minutes from the end to deny Forest what should have been a well earned draw. They have developed a nasty habit of conceding right on half or full time. Do they lose concentration?

Home against 8th placed Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday at the proper kick off time of 3:00pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so too, he’s our chief multi-sports reporter, which is admirable as he’s the other side of the World, I’ve often thought he must stay up all night  
Did I see a while ago he was planning a holiday to one of those beautiful South Sea Islands (with no internet!)