1975 was our 3rd year visiting the Highlands with our young children. Two kids, dog and small boat. We were in a cottage in a remote part of Wester Ross. We fished for trout in the Lochs and sea fish in Loch Ewe. When beaching the boat on Loch Ewe I spotted a knife in shallow water. It looked like a home made knife with a woven string handle - the sort of thing that took skill and time to make. A knife that would be used by an old salt or a pro fisherman. The area was deserted and no where to hand it in. I used the knife for it's intended purpose for 20 years and each time I was reminded of that remote sandy bay and wandered who the knife's owner was. A knife like this would be sorely missed by it's creator.

I've been using a Highland fishing website for a while and during exchanges by email with a fellow angler I discovered that he used to live in a cottage close to the sandy bay. He was at that time a pro fisherman. It was his knife! What an amazing discovery 42 years later. I will be calling on him in June to present him with a new Opinal Inox knife. 

• Upvote 5

Wow, what a coincidence!  I suppose you don't still have the original knife hidden away somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of stag horn.....I found a Roe Deer antler in the garden the other day. I put it on a small stone table to pick up later and clean.  The following day I remembered the antler and went to pick it up.  Alas....it was gone!  I am puzzled as to what would have wanted a short antler and what they would do with it.  No human had entered the garden between placing the antler and discovering it missing.

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't be a dog - none around here nearer than the local farm whose sheepdogs stay by the farm.  So maybe a fox; I know we have them around here because we see them from time-to-time.

The year after the Loch Ewe knife finding we rented a remote cottage near to Rosehall. It was owned by the Lord Lnt of Sutherland's son. His dad, Colonel Sir Allan Gilmore. (google him up). was a fantastic bloke and I was privileged to know him. He took me on his private beat on the river Cassley where I caught 2 salmon on the first outing. He also had one of the two boats on a fabulous Loch where he gave us permission to fish every other day except Sundays. I was just a Radford lad and spoke 'Radford' but he treated me like an equal. He and his grandchildren and me and my children had a fishing contest one day on the Loch and we beat them! Fabulous times, fabulous bloke. We stayed there during two summers. He died about 10 years ago, but his wife, Lady Jean Gilmore was killed when her house was burnt down 2 years ago. Lovely woman - very upper crust but she had all the time of the day for commoners like me. I think of the Gilmore's quite often. Not wealthy but real class. Col Gilmore ran a minivan and Lady Jean ran a coffee shop to pay for her G&T's and fags. Illustrious history, wonderful house, people of stature - all gone!

• Upvote 2

PP, next time you are at Rosehall look out for a railway signal box in a garden.  It is an old Highland Railway box and it belongs to singer/songwriter and drystone dyke instructor, Dave Goulder.  A great bloke who allows camping in his grounds and a former fireman on the railways in Lancashire.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

The knife. I still had the sheath for the original knife that I found 40 years ago so I bought an Opinal Inox knife to go with it. I engraved the handle with the owner of the original knife's nick name. We made a surprise visit his house a couple of weeks ago. I parked outside a local museum to ask where he lived. It was next door. As I returned to the my illegally parked car a grizzled man was eyeing me up and obviously ready to tell me to move. I approached him and asked if he was Mr ?? . Well, yes he replied. Who are you? I showed him the knife sheath - he was stunned. Recognising his own workmanship immediately from 40 years ago. I then gave him the replacement knife with his engraved nickname on the handle. and thanked him for lending me his knife that I used for twenty years before losing it. His stern countenance vanished to be replaced by a look of disbelief and pleasure. We were invited in and shared a lot of tales about Wester Ross, fishing and families.

He is a remarkable Highlander and we agreed that fate dictates that we will share a boat and dram for a days fishing. 

• Upvote 5

I can admire it from an aesthetic point of view but what possible reason could anyone have for owning something like that?

• Upvote 1

I inherited it along with a collection of different knives, Brew.  Some I display in my little museum of 20th century tat and others are kept locked away.

• Upvote 1

It is always satisfying to return something that has been missing for years.  

1. I lost a pair of expensive side-cutters in the garden around about 1995ish.  Two years ago, I was digging out a dead piece of hedging when I rediscovered them, several inches deep beneath the hedge.  They were quite pitted with decay but after a clean-up they are still usable!  

2. I once borrowed a book about railways from a fellow Morris Dancer.  I had intended to return it before he left for foreign climes but alas, he left whilst I was on holiday.  By the time he was due back I myself was living abroad.  I kept hold of the book and still have it to this day, so if I can ever remember his name, I will attempt to find him and return it.

• Upvote 1

Gave it up some years ago Phil. Can't get me legs as high as they used to go :(

Morris dancing is popular hereabouts in Staffs. The Horn dance at Abbots Bromley being quite well recorded. Mrs PP's brother plays the melodion for a Morris group captained by his wife. I seems that some groups regard women taking part with distain.  In fact the Horn dance group are all male although one of the dancers is Maid Marian!

Not seen a Morris dancer in Scotland but seen a 'Lone Piper' shuffling in circles on a rocky outcrop by Loch Maree. Maybe piping to his ancestors buried on one of the Loch's sacred islands.

The roads around here are cluttered up with Morris dancers at the weekends - can't move for them and this is not traditional Morris dancing territory. You'd cut a lonely figure Morris dancing on the quayside in Thurso and probably win a bravery award!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Wasn't sure where to fit this picture in but here seems as good a place as any, thought it would go with Compo's new avatar, dancers in our village a few years ago celebrating St Georges day outside the now closed pub

ST_Georges_day_08_(2).jpg

Rog

• Like 1