Paradiddle

Top of Woodborough Road - Mapperley

Using the google map link I did a virtual tour of Woodborough Rd. I hardly recognised it! when did all those changes take place? I'm it's sure it's only been a couple of years since I was last there...…….  I really should get out more...

No, the off licence was closer to the Porchester, where you can see the new bricks, immediately to the right of the brick wall next to the Porchester.

Caretaker for the church lived at the bottom of Eaton Street, on the left and you had to go down and get the keys to open up for Cubs.  From memory he had one or maybe two daughters who were in the Guides.  Paradiddle may well remember them. 

169_0405_101b.JPG

Seem to have forgotten how to insert an image from my own website where I host my pics. Properties/links direct to pics on a webpage, no longer show up as a specific link.  Tried doing a link to the image directory and the image, but still no luck. 

Eventually found it was .jpg should have been in uppercase...

April 1969 Pic clearly shows the off licence in the background.  Sadly, even three of the younger people in this pic are no longer with us.

• Like 1

I think this might also show the shop in question. On the right-hand side (although it's been artificially overdrawn) you can see a vertical sign on the wall saying 'Ale and Stout'.

kACGTRJ.jpg

• Like 3

What was the 'British success' that was reported on the stand outside the church, I wonder.

I was looking at this area on Google and I can see an end terrace house with a stable in the backyard on nearby Eaton Street. Back in the 50’s my uncle who lived nearby in Woodthorpe use to stable a pony there. At weekends we would hitch it up to a trap and go hurtling along the Plains to the top of Woodborough hill and back. The pony had been couped up all week and was full of energy when he was let out. There were very few cars and I think we overtook most of them!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

What was the 'British success' that was reported on the stand outside the church, I wonder.

Almost certainly something that was happening in WW1.

Just been looking at our wedding photos.  This one shows how the front steps of the church came straight out on to the street.  The little girls were giving me a horseshoe and a lucky black cat.  I don't believe in such stuff but some would say they worked as we married in 1966 and are still together!

IMG-5269.jpg

• Like 5

Looking further on Google I was trying to find the rough path that ran from Woodthorpe Drive, behind the park greenhouses and came out on Woodthorpe Rd. at the back of the Methodist church. This is now a road with houses! Mapperley brickyard where we caught newts is now a housing estate. 

Regarding CT's photo a few posts back, there are only two bay window houses left, the ones either side look to have been replaced.  I remember the off licence shop but seem to think it ended up as a betting shop, could be wrong.

As for Phil's path, you can still walk past the side of the church down Woodthorpe Road, keep straight on when the road takes a left turn, past the row of houses on the right and there is a path which takes you past the greenhouses into the park - used it many times.

@philmayfield  I certainly don't look like a young bride now... when you come to a meet up you'll just see an old lady, but Thankyou for the comment ilikeyou,

The path that @Paradiddle  mentions does indeed still exist, but the cinder path that YOU are thinking of, Phil, no longer exists.  I remember coming down Woodthorpe Road and turning left down the track with a ditch on the left.  It then bore right and passed the greenhouses on the left.  We sometimes used to buy salad produce from them.  Then the track came to the gated entrance to the park on your left and carried on down to Woodthorpe Drive.  There was no entrance to the park as now - via a car park!   

If you travel by google again, there are 2 big trees where the cinder track turned left as you get to the bottom of Woodthorpe Road

• Like 1

We used to use that route for cub/scout 'tracking'.  Tying knots in clumps of long grass, arrows from twigs or stones.  Such simple pleasures.  

One memory is of a Scout open evening, when I was still in cubs, about 1956, held on what was the old railway station area in Woodthorpe Park. I remember either Beverley Abel (son of the butcher, Albert from Mapperley) or Derek Savage, giving a cowboy style rope spinning demonstration. Most impressive.

I had two wedding photos with pics on those steps Margie.  Neither were blessed with black cats, so maybe we were doomed from the start? 

I was in the same form as Beverley Abel at Carlton le Willows!  I remember him as being the form joker - always making us laugh..

Socram, I'm not a believer in such things as lucky black cats, so I doubt that was the reason.  I hope you've now found happiness....

Liz.I have just googled CRR 91 which I recall was one of Roy's double deckers which I went on in the early sixties when I was at ACHS.Previously it was owned by West Bridgford UDC and I think Roy also had CRR 93.Pictures appear on bus websites and actually mention Roy's Motors.

Prior to Roy's acquisition of the two double deckers, as I remember, he had 1 Bedford OB coach, on which we travelled to Bramcote 1957. (Maybe he had another for the Eastwood run?) He must have bought the double deckers ready for the 1958/59 school year.  Out of the area, but on the way past Wollaton Park on Derby Road, there was a fair sized strip of subsidence in the road and there were a few banged heads, morning and night.

Coming home to Mapperley, the drivers opted either for a run at Woodthorpe Drive - steep at the bottom, or Breck Hill, steep at the top. Only Roy himself seemed to be really adept at a swift double de-clutch down change to get up Breck Hill. More than once, pupils had to get off and walk up the last bit of the hill, especially in one of those thick fogs.     

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, MargieH said:

I was in the same form as Beverley Abel at Carlton le Willows!  I remember him as being the form joker - always making us laugh..

Socram, I'm not a believer in such things as lucky black cats, so I doubt that was the reason.  I hope you've now found happiness....

A long time since I’ve been on this site but glad that I did as was reminiscing of people and places from yesteryear.In the sixties I was in care ‘Springfield’ NCH.
For some of us Mapperley Methodist Church was our regular on a Sunday.

One Sunday in every month after service I’d walk to the Abel’s res in Digby Avenue Where I’d been invited.Always hoped Beverley would be there as he’d a great sense of humour.

I left Nottingham In ‘69 and lost touch with all I knew.Very happy days looking back.

Welcome tuller, I'm sure you will find lots of answers to your questions,and look forward to reading your posts. There are a few members who have some connection with the church in question, just give it time. all the best and stay safe.

Hello Tuller and welcome!   I think you must be younger than me - I was born in 1943... how strange that you knew Beverley Abel.  I wonder if his ears are burning!

I used to attend some Sunday morning services at the Methodist around 1957 - 60 as a teenager, got married there in 1966, and my husband and I would also go when we were over  in Nottingham visiting my parents.  It was Rev Widdowson who married us, along with my husband's dad who was also a Meth minister...

Looking forward to reading  more of your memories about your early life.

23 hours ago, Waddo said:

Welcome tuller, I'm sure you will find lots of answers to your questions,and look forward to reading your posts. There are a few members who have some connection with the church in question, just give it time. all the best and stay safe.

Hello Waddo and thanks for the welcome though have to say my link to Mapperley fairly tenuous, that being a walk to and from church (x4 on Sunday) plus the annual school cross country, knee deep in mud, around Woodthorpe Park. 

19 hours ago, MargieH said:

Hello Tuller and welcome!   I think you must be younger than me - I was born in 1943... how strange that you knew Beverley Abel.  I wonder if his ears are burning!

I used to attend some Sunday morning services at the Methodist around 1957 - 60 as a teenager, got married there in 1966, and my husband and I would also go when we were over  in Nottingham visiting my parents.  It was Rev Widdowson who married us, along with my husband's dad who was also a Meth minister...

Looking forward to reading  more of your memories about your early life.

Hello MargieH and thankyou for the welcome.Have been trying to send a link  re Beverley .trying again now ..fingers crossed

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/16607766.obituary-bev-abel-eminent-urologist-and-pioneer-in-kidney-treatments/?ref=erec

• Like 1

@Tuller  Thank you for the link.   I just remember his  making us all laugh in class.   What a remarkable career he had......  I've put the link on the Carlton le Willows Facebook group and people are already responding.

........ but it's made me feel sad....

Well thank you Tuller for telling us about Beverley Abel (funny name for a boy) and thank you Margie for putting the link on the Carlton-Le-Willows Facebook page, it’s certainly created a lot of interest amongst old pupils.  Even though I didn’t know him I’m feeling proud that he was educated at the same establishment as me ........ he achieved rather more than me though!  

• Like 1

Success in life comes in many forms, Lizzie....  and it's not necessarily through academic achievements and amazing careers!   

• Like 3