Well that's what they useter call them way back. Over-sentimentalised songs full of either teen angst.. or maudlin reflections on stuff.  But I think we all secretly loved some of them.  I was never an Elvis fan, but I suppose  'Old Shep' is up there with the best of a bad bunch.

I've got loads of them but I'll start with these.. please add your own choices.. :)

There are loads more...  Fill yer boots!!

• Like 1

Here's a nice one for you.  Even in the days of the baroque they were singing sad songs.   ' Lascio Chio  Piangia'. Written by GF Handel.  If I remember rightly the story revolves around a lady's boyfriend being kidnapped by some kind of witch.  Very moving story and a beautiful rendition IMHO.  Enjoy  :)

I have an arrangement for organ which I really enjoy playing.  It is not as hard as Bach.

That's beautiful Loppy. 

Kidnapped by a Witch?  That's what he told Her..... ;)

Only kidding. it is gorgeous. I like the use of Lutes .

After every other kind of music, it is the human voice which tops the lot.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, crankypig said:

dont think this has worked,ive forgotten how to add a video

anyway it was spposed to be hey paula,...more sickly than sick

Cranky.  Find the video you want on youtube.

Copy the address bar at the top.

Paste it in here.

Like this:

Col

Some lovely songs coming up in the thread, but drifting away from what I meant by sick songs.  Back in the day.. 'Sick ' songs usually involved over-sentimental and frankly bad taste stuff about car accidents/motorbikes/struggling home through blizzards and being found next morning frozen stiff inches from the front door.  That sort of thing.... 

Some of the others range from just sentimental tear jerkers... to 'naff'.. and through to some really nice songs.

A couple more 'on the borderline'.

Enough already!!    :laugh:

This one is very different.  I've read all sorts of theories about the meaning of this typically 'absurdist' Smiths song, but I just tend to think of it as Morrisey and Marr's modern take on or send up of classic 60s 'sick' songs.  But with the Smiths.. who knows?

• 7 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:34 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I just speak English. If people can't understand me, hard cheese!

Yer wot? izzat like wot they talked in olden days? Yer no warra mean, it's stuff like wot wrinklies do innit , it's wicked sick man. Not nobody can do that s**t with their homies n ho's nahdays.

Enjoyed seeing some "sick" songs but they aren't. There are many songs I like that are sad like C&W songs. It brought to mind a couple of Italian songs. One called Piange al telefono , an estranged father tries to phone his wife and his daughter answers the phone saying that when a man calls and asks for her, tell him I'm not at home. The singer Domenico Modungno goes on to ask his daughter about school etc. His daughter has never seen him so doesn't know who he is. He cries and daughter asks why he's crying. It's very sad. Another one is a bit silly but I love it. " Lu Grillo e la Luna" the grasshopper and the moon. Sung by the same singer but in Sicilian. The grasshopper sees the moon every night and falls in love with it. The moon says " Come to me , look how beautiful I am, come and I'll hug you" so the grasshopper jumps in the water and drowns but the song goes on.

A bit babyish I know but sung in Sicilian it's very emotional. 

I know I'm soft.

• Like 1

You don't have to understand the words but they are beautiful. Domenico Modugno wrote and sang some lovely songs such as Volare ( nel blu dipinto di blu) and ciao ciao Bambina.

• 1 month later...

Two lovely songs above but neither are 'sick'

According to the BBC news website Christmas songs such as Baby it's Cold Outside could be seen as offensive due to connotations of date rape and consideration should be given to not playing them on air.

Beam me up, Scotty. This planet has gone insane. Think I'll go and live in the funny farm...it'll be less stressful!

• Like 2