IAN123.

Nottm At War 1939-1945.

A series of photographs documenting the County during WW2.60592.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgStaff and nurses from Vale Brook Lodge and City Hospital fill sandbags..just off Hucknall rd.after war was declared.60581.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgThis poiceman takes the hand of a child who has been evacuated to Nottingham..pictured in 1940 at the bus station60582.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg.Bombed out children arrive at Bingham Station to be billeted safely.

• Like 4

Outside Bairnswear factory 1940.

Messrs Bairnswear and the Duke of Portland accepting a YMCA mobile canteen that has been donated60587.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgARP kitchen 1941, situated on Nottingham Rd .Basford.65408.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 4

Nottm ladies of the ATS marching off the parade ground 1940.60586.1.620.640.FFFFFF_1.jpg60583.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgchildren being bused to safer homes in Worksop in 1940...taken from the Regal cinema.

• Like 1

Air raid damage at Short Hill.52292.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg Food parcel distribution Centre Parliament St.60584.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgmayfair ARP building Nottm Rd.Basford.194265409.1.640.99999.unpad_1.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Is that Sketchleys chimney in the background?

Without seeing the Head an blocking I couldn't say for sure,but the location is near enough.

Henry Barker...VE  day flags 1945.53092.1.320.320.FFFFFF.jpgVE celebrations in Market Sq.60596.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 1

1945.mass at St.Christophers Church Colwick rd. It was later restored to how it looks today.59185.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpg

• Like 2

St. Christopher’s is C of E. Does that faction have masses? I thought it was the RC’s. My parents married there and they were not Catholic.

Posting this photo again as it was probably lost when Photobucket bullied us.

My Mum is there with her brother in the Old Market Square, celebrating VE Day.  

AFFA100_C-976_E-4491-87_B3-5_A3_F23_A221

• Like 2

Lovely photograph Lizzie! Nice to see a treasure like that.

Not a lot of actual wartime pics about..restrictions..

or just the climate of the time?

My thanks for the wartime images to 

Picture The Past.Many wartime street pictures on that site too.

I have private photos taken by Father when he served in the RAF and at its base in Wales..which became a 'secret air base' years later....that's a tale to be told with a pint !

Phil..i know very little about the Church - it was rebuit using most of the bricks and stone.

I have looked closely a few times and you can see the joins.

Now it is a church used by Baptists or Evangelists (?) ..some lovely singing can be heard on a Sunday morning.

No, St. Christopher’s is still C of E. It may be evangelistic reflecting the ethnicity of the locals, although the Sneinton Dale area used to have a large Italian population so there must be a Catholic Church nearby. 

I’ve just checked and they now share it with the Catholics and have a Sunday Mass. Ecumenicalism is a way to fill empty seats apparently!

That explains it then phil . Had just left a lady friends house on St.Christopher St.after a heavy session and a bad bonce...talk about juxta....drifting across Colwick road the serene singing and me limping towards Sneinton mkt for a £5 breakfast to get some soakage!

58 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just checked and they now share it with the Catholics and have a Sunday Mass. Ecumenicalism is a way to fill empty seats apparently!

Ecumenism is about working together with other Christian denominations, not about filling seats!   And actually,  there is only one Church, made up of PEOPLE (not buildings) .... one body of people with Jesus Christ as their head.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

What about the other lot then - The Religion of Peace. Would they share it with them as well? That would be true ecumenicalism.

Phil, Ecumenism is generally defined as unity between the various denominations of the Christian faith.  This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be dialogue with those of different faiths, which I personally believe is a good thing, but it isn't ecumenism.

As I said previously,  'The Church' isn't a building; it's the PEOPLE who are the Church.  For me, the church building is just a place to meet together - And I don't believe that God is only present in a church building!  I can really appreciate the architecture of a church building and the memories in can sometimes invoke, but the Church is a living breathing body of people with Jesus Christ as its head.  

I'm not going to  say any more on this - and if this post is reported, or the mods decide that it is too controversial, then so be it... I'm not going to have a hissy fit if it's deleted ...  xx

• Like 5

I don't see your post as controversial, Margie.  All you did was define the difference between Ecumenism, and the true nature of the church.  You are correct.  :)

The singing is very nice..my friends house is right behind the Church .and last time...even though hung over i listened to the Gospel singing whilst out on the deck.

I seldom go to mass anymore...i pray when i feel like it..and often light a candle for a particular person or purpose.

Many of the churchgoers here are -cliqeuy and look down there noses..

Whatever the denomination...no matter ..peace & love.

Ian,  I think it's very sad when 'churchgoers' don't live their lives by the gospel they purport to believe.   I know that no-one is perfect, but a Christian SHOULD try to live a life which is worthy of their beliefs.  I'm NOT saying that we must never  'fall short' to be accepted by God (the problem of our sin/failings has already been dealt with when Jesus died for us) but if a Christian doesn't even TRY and reflect the teachings of Jesus, then ......

• Like 1

Pray..why Phil?

I'll get back on topic in a bit and post a WW2 photo.