IAN123.

Down Clumber Street.

One of the most prized areas to have a shop today...the rent & rates are costly..part of the so called Council dubbed 'Golden Mile'.

Clumber i Remember.JR_TEM_Bygones_010618_07.jpgA tied house, The Crystal Palace..next door to Thorntons Toffee Shop.

A 'nip in ' pub..like the Corner Pin..or The Old Corner Pin..being right.54351.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgserved halfs only and anyone recall the stilton sandwiches they dished out?

Burtons was on the corner..which in turn became a Top Man.

06ee92135f85a6263c4feba578663405--nottin

• Like 2

I don't recall the Kardomah being here..wasn't born yet.

Now a sports emporium- The Pepper

Mill cafe was on the same side..up an alley opposite Evans Ladieswear..trendy coffee and quiche.2c5a6e087bb937e97d6022bd8ad91600--nottinnottingham-clumber-street-c1950_n50301.jColmans Yard is on the right.

• Like 2

bradleys_clumber.jpgHindleys, Bradleys and Virgin -this shop housed all three record and tape sellers.

Great for Deep Purple imports!

Thraves was around here one time..and over the road was Lincoln Street - Johnathan James ..a watch repairer and a photo studio up a flight of ancient stairs.26092104.jpgSpalls,Truform for cheap boots and Howitts.Dennis & Roberts are having a clean up, Glance back on this drizzly day and the Welbeck is in the haze..Walkers the Jewellers - next to The Lion.4abf889ccd9ae1d042d53c192b8133ac.jpg

• Like 2

Hornes on the corner and another Pizzaland existed further up..where the poplar/Prefect is.. when they paved this street it lost it's character...and the curve...by the look of these photos!9ddb3f0880b027c658b2483f5ee176ac.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

68845.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgMays for watches, next to Skinner & Rook.Probably a Starbucks or a Superdrug today.

Nice to see W H May  I recall getting my engagement ring from there also my mum had hers from there, mum and dad married n 1936 just goe's to show. My ring cost £23 00 and it had a diamond in it, not quite like Liz Taylor's diamond ring though, but Diamonds are forever even if it's only a chipping.

• Like 1

I remember the Stilton sandwiches at the Old Corner Pin but I thought those at The Bell were better.

I have some great memories of Clumber Street.

Near to the alley where the Pepper Mill was located there was a small, very olde worlde jewellers with an upstairs where you could buy all sorts of jewellery bits and bobs and watch parts. A woman worked there who could strip down and reassemble a watch in about ten minutes. I think a lot of so-called watch repair businesses took their work there for her to do for them.

• Like 1

Thanks jonab..what was the Chinese Restaurant near The Crystal Palace..was it the Nan Kok...such a long time ago!

Nice post from Mary1947...my Dad bought his watch from May's.

A late night mistake....Colmans Yard is on the left...entrance to Primark today.

Nan Kok - yes! had lots of 2/- (then half-crown, then five bob) lunches there. I was introduced to the jam fritter there. A complete abomination but luckily I was well into enjoying Chinese food before that so it didn't put me off entirely. (For anyone that doesn't know, a jam fritter is a normal bread and jam sandwich dipped in batter and deep-fried).

• Like 1

'Jam Fritter'  Sounds scrumptious, especially topped with a dollop of icecream........................Pass the Rennies :biggrin:

1 minute ago, carni said:

'Jam Fritter'  Sounds scrumptious, especially topped with a dollop of icecream........................Pass the Rennies :biggrin:

Not into deep-fried Mars Bars are you, carni?

The end of Clumber Street:5ee4c3b9298a62ed621bbe1fe216be3e.jpgLate 19th Century?..anyway facing the High St...with what we know as 

Bridlesmith Gate in the distance.

1950.68850.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgSplit screen job outside The Kardomah.63267.1.280.99999.unpad.jpgA quiet Clumber St.in 1944. Thomas Cook must have had lean times..trips up the Rhine...might have proved a little hairy!

• Like 1

Repairing more images that were lost last year.67033-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgHindleys..which became Bradleys ..which became Virgin Records.

• Like 1

Looking towards Milton and Parliament Street...just out of shot is the Kardomah Cafe.63265-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

• Like 1

The Home & Colonial Store on Clumber St. Gable end of the Lion pub to the right.50176-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

I find it incredible that so many people still buy chewing gum but even more so that so many of them are so filthy. When and why did this disgusting habit start?

Mind you, what on earth has been deposited in that bench? Don't think I'd sit on it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1