Big Dunc

New Member Here, Hi From Greece

I have stumbled across this forum and just had to sign up. I still get homesick even after 25 years!

Cracking forum from what I have seen so far. Hats off to all those involved in creating it.

• Like 1

Welcome, Big Dunc - hope you'll tell us all about your earlier years in/near Nottingham.

Btw, have you come across Lord Byron's heart - I read on a thread yesterday that he literally left it in Greece!

• Like 1

Ah, no wonder he's dead then.....

Reminds me of a joke I once heard about an angel having a last night out at his favourite disco before he had to stay permanently in heaven.  This disco was owned by a man called Sam Plank.  When he arrived back at the 'pearly gates' he wasn't allowed back in because he'd 'left his harp in Sam Plank's disco"

• Like 6

People don't seem to twist words anymore...at Meadow Lane..when a throw -in  or off- side was wrong we'd sing( Glen Campbell tune.)

"I Was A Linesman For Notts County".

• Like 2

Ian, A bit like the away fans during Mansfield's perpetual relegation struggles singing "Let's all drink to the death of the Town" from the Kinks Death of a Clown

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MargieH said:

Welcome, Big Dunc - hope you'll tell us all about your earlier years in/near Nottingham.

Btw, have you come across Lord Byron's heart - I read on a thread yesterday that he literally left it in Greece!

I believe he left his heart in Corfu Margie, I am in Paros, a long way away.

36 minutes ago, Big Dunc said:

I believe he left his heart in Corfu Margie, I am in Paros, a long way away.

So the 'old Streets of Nottingham' website has made a mistake!  Never mind,   I'm sure it's not bothering him where it is....  is it buried in a particular place in Corfu and is there a memorial I wonder...

I know my eyes are getting worse, Phil, but I thought you'd put "dig it up to confirm"!!!  

These days, I sometimes find I'm guessing what the end of the sentence is instead of reading each word..... my brain had predictive text!

• Upvote 1

Spooky..whilst reading about Pelham Street...this turned up.

On the morning of his death..37 guns

saluted his passing..the principle battery at Missolonghi and Salona ..after being embalmed..Byrons body was taken to Zante..his remains travelled to London on a ship called Florida..then transported to Nottingham..the coffin spent the night in Black Moores Hotel on Pelham St.Then buried in the family tomb on July 16th , 1824..his Daughter, Ada joined him 28 years later.

From my past readings and teachings..his body was 'intact'.

Amazing what these photos can produce!

• Like 1

Who knows exactly, and does it really matter?  The poor old boy died too young - that's all I know...  not my favourite poet, though...

• Like 1

Welcome Big Dunc

looking forward to reading your post's

Big Dunc seems to have spirited away.

Another spooky one is the Ghost House in Chilwell!!Image1.jpgThere also is a book.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I thought his heart was buried in the parish church at mucky uckna?

Don't know about his heart Jill,,but his body is in a tomb in Hucknall church,,i had the pleasure of looking after the painting of Ada lovelace,,overnight in the church,, just me,,lord byron and Ada,,    can't say it wern't spooky,, 

• Like 1

Think you and he would have had a lot in common, Ben. Bit of a magnet to the ladies, he was!

• Like 1

It was about ten years ago,,and the Byron society had the painting to display in the church,

As always there was a funny side,,i was asking the main man from the society where Byron was,,  ""you're bleddy standing on him"" says he. Lol,

• Like 2

Byron was a bit of a snappy dresser too! He'd have gone down well on Main Street Bulwell!

Apparently, his tomb was opened in 1938 at which time he was identified by his club foot.  Such disability didn't detract from his popularity with the ladies!

• Like 1

Yes he would have loved having a smoke out back at Wetherspoons,,with me, Chulla, and Trogg,,

Me talking about ladies and clothes, Chulla reciting his Poetry,,whilst Trogg could keep us supplied with Coffee's,,

Lol,,

• Like 2

Yes, Ben. Chulla could have told him his poetry was rubbish and the lad, George, would have been able to effect improvements! :blink:

• Like 1

Poor old Byron..i know the ladies swooned..but knee tremblers were a reality..Both feet were clubbed and withered up to the knee...details on his heart when i've had me tea.