my dubious claim to fame is fighting Joe Elliot ( lead singer of rock band Def Leppard ) at the boat club once, just as they hit the big time. Glad to say that i won but of course i wouldn`t want him to remember it now. Probably pay some hitman to get me back.

P.S. hope he does`nt join this forum...

My claim to fame is that I dated one of Dick VanPattons sons!!! That would be Jimmy, the middle one. Met all kinds of celebrities while at a celebrity tennis tourny with him. One whom Dennis might be interested in was Wayne Gretzky. He and his wife sat with us at lunch (I had no idea who either of them were!!! They were just introduced as Wayne and Janet!) B)

No fear of him reading this, (I didn't beat him up!) we left on good terms...

I'm sure I saw Def Leppard perform in that little place next to the Rock Gardens in around 1970?

Anyone know if my memory is right on that?

I could have been famous when driving a Lady Bay Laundry van.

I was hooting up Arkwright St into town and Jimi Hendrix and one of his mates ran across the road in front of me.

I went straight home to change me pants.Don't know how I missed him. :crazy:

Baz :ph34r:

that must have been when keane played for forest

It was about 18 years ago Keane and his cronies Ian Woan / Jemson / Gary Charles / Franz Carr they where the bees knees with the local Nottm chicks around town , like dogs on heat .

I'm not bitter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My claim to fame is I went to Top of the Pops & saw in no particular order, Blondie/Lynx/ & Kid Jensen ,don't remember who else,maybe one of the oldies on here might remember who else was on that particular show some 25ish years ago,or might there be a web page where I can look for myself ? boombox2

Yeah I seem to remember there was a shot of me,it was great. It took away a bit of the mystique when I saw the state of the studio in Shepherds Bush mind you. I remember we changed on the train back to Nottingham,some dingy station near there, I suppose Shepherds Bush station? Had to go that year as the cut off age was 25 thumbsdown

My claim is somwhat different as it involves such a coincidence that the whole event quite unnerved me for many years...

About 20 years ago I was travelling by train from Newcastle to Grantham, passing away the time by avidly reading the latest volume of the 'Tony Benn Diaries'. During the York stop I was, without looking up from the page, aware of a boarding passenger taking the opposite seat. Eventually looking up, I was totally gobsmacked to see....you've guessed it.......the man himself!

After the initial shock, and having briefly said 'Hello', I nervously decided to continue reading with the page laid flat........but my resolve only lasted till I turned the next page, when I raised the cover upwards.

"I'm sure you could find something better to read than that" says he.....and then our pleasant conversation lasted all the way to Grantham!

Charming bloke, with no side to him at all, full of anecdotes and funny stories. Thoroughly pleasant to everyone on the train; even to a couple who tried to be clever and made the great mistake of challenging him about his politics.....one smartarse in particular was eaten alive and spat out by Doncaster!

Cheers

Robt P.

That's fascinating Rob. I myself have many episodes like that, but I am surrounded by non believers, in fact they unashamedly take the wee wee out of me. I find it happens often & only just recently it happened twice in the space of a week or so, is is fate or something else??

PS

I am referring to thinking or readng about someone & very soon after sometimes the next day they are in the news or have died.

my claim to fame.....

meeting haircut one hundrad...

gary numan......

everything but the girl.....

slick...midge from Ultravoxs old band....the list goes on...

caz didnt one of the bands at totp comment on your perfume ?????

nearly forgot biggest claimt o fame...was selling Dale wintern when he worked at radio trent a pair of size 12 shoes...what a big boy !...he smelt devine.....

Unsure about the perfume story, but at that time my perfume would have been cheap so who ever it was that said it would have said "can anyone smell that B****y cat'?? !rotfl!

• 9 years later...

My claims are a little abstract:

Caught a drum stick at a snafu gig.

Knew Dinsdale Landon's window cleaner.

Saw George Harrison in a boiler suit.

Have been in the post 3 times.( not the winning one or in the courts column)

Told Jeff Beck to hurry up and finish the song as I was DESPERATE for a pee.

Sir Alec Guinness and Colin Blakley came to our restaurant whilst making the film Little lord Fauntleroy. As so did Ian Woan and some of his mates and also with his wife I may add. When we had the restaurant in town we had many actors and actresses from the theatre including Leslie Philips.

Was instrumental in getting a cookbook and a calendar published (for charity). Been featured in the Evening Post, twice, article about us in the colour supplement of Sunday Times, been published several times in Bygones, got my name in a novel as the proof reader.

• Upvote 1

No great claim to fame here, but when I wasa kid siiting outside the Ferry Boat Inn at Stoke Bardolph. Benny Hill arrived at the pub for a drink. Didn't look much like I'd seen him on TV. I think he was appearing at the Theatre Royal. Seemed like a nice enough ordinary bloke.

When I was a nipper we had a family holiday in Jersey. My Dad had paid a travel agent and it turned out we were in the same hotel as the Hollies. One morning I sat on the verandah next to Allan Clarke and asked him if he knew why all the gels were hanging around the main gate. He just laughed and said " I don't know " and then went in to take a phone call. Later on I was in the T.V. lounge and in comes the tall one Graham Nash and he just asked me what I was watching when all of a sudden a load of gels ran by the door with singles in their hands. I asked him If he knew what was going on and he reckon'd that he didn't know either. The penny dropped after a bit.

• Upvote 3