• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

When I worked at school, you could get paint for.....

A greenboard

A whiteboard

Or a chalkboard ( not allowed to say B....board).

The one and only Rod.......unique voice....great dresser....and mover.....

Mind you he'll have somebodys ''Eye out'' with that 'Mic-stand''

• Like 1

I've just spent a good bit of my evening 'digitising' a Lovin' Spoonful LP so that I can make a CD of it for Mrs Col's new(er) car..which doesn't have a tape player. She loves her tapes....

Anyway, I had almost forgotten a couple of the old Lovin' Spoonful hits..so here goes.

Different age...

Another band came into my thoughts today.  The Troggs.  We always saw them as a bit of a joke.  While Lovin' Spoonful were super cool and more than a bit fond of 'certain substances'.. the Troggs were more about getting legless and having very sweary recording sessions.  But.. looking back they were innovators and old Reg Presley wrote some great songs, most notably of course, 'Love Is All Around', which was in the charts for about ten years when Wet Wet Wet covered it.

'With A Girl Like You' ..with a few laydees for our Ben...

• Like 1

I liked most of their stuff.  Paul Jones was an excellent singer.  Of course I wasn't aware at the time that many of their songs were covers of US hits. ( Doo Wah Diddy -The Exciters, Oh No Not My Baby-Maxine Brown, Come Tomorrow-Marie Knight..etc) It became rather more obvious when they covered a string of Dylan songs which had been hits here...and it all got a bit tedious. Still.. they deserve credit, like many other UK bands for 'breaking' R&B/Soul etc.. over here, to audiences stultified by low grade UK 'pop'.

When Mike D'Abo replaced Paul Jones.. I liked him too. and D'Abo wrote Handbags and Gladrags.. possibly one of the best songs of the 60s.

Judge for yourself..

I like the origiinals and the covers, but since I learned about the originals, which would almost certainly have never got played on BBC Radio.. , or even Luxembourg, I always try to pay respect to those pioneering and mostly black Americans.

• Like 1

Just to complete this session...

Mike D'abo wrote this and this is his version.

The first released version was this..by Chris Farlowe:

Next up was our Rod.

And then the Stereophonics.

It's a fascinating progression for a song.  And I think that it is such an inherently listenable and beautiful song, many people end up missing the point of it.

My personal fave is the Rod version.. but they are all stunning.

3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Just to complete this session...

Mike D'abo wrote this and this is his version.

The first released version was this..by Chris Farlowe:

Next up was our Rod.

And then the Stereophonics.

It's a fascinating progression for a song.  And I think that it is such an inherently listenable and beautiful song, many people end up missing the point of it.

My personal fave is the Rod version.. but they are all stunning.

Paul Jones using the pseudonym Sheila McLeod wrote "I Want To know" that was recorded by Ten Years After. Regards,Will2017

'

• Like 1

Another nice bit of trivia Will.  Thank you.

Kev, I didn't include Summer in the City because it's possibly one of their best remembered songs now. It always reminds me of the Penguin Cafe in Boowul Market.  Maybe they had it on the juke box.

Nice song......forgot about the ''Fortunes ''..........must get a double breasted jacket......1964 last one i had....went stiff when i spilt Whisky on it........in a bath in Tamworth........

• Like 1

Can't mention Tamworth without thinking of my all time favourite song/singer..........saw em live about 1969 there......think i play this most days.........Polly a good Brummy girl........

• Like 1

I Still Get That Same Old Feeling was originally an album track by the Foundations and was also done by The Fortunes and a few other bands...  But that's not important right now.. Who remembers this classic?

• Like 3

Ben, I love all of those harmony singing bands from the 60s.  I guess the fortunes were the best.  And of course it is a little known fact that Fortunes singer Glen Dale left the band so that he could concentrate of solo work, like the gig he did at the Deerstalker on Southglade Rd. one Sunday lunchtime.  Honest.. I saw him.

More Fortunes, here obviously performing in the US on something like American Bandstand or whatever...  You can tell by the obligatory loony girl dancers... :laugh:

Ivy League.. Sorry about the creep doing the intro..

David and Jonathan: (Cook and Greenaway)

Marmalade:

Merseys: ( Bit of Trivia.  Mrs Col was at uni with Sandy Kinsley, wife of Billy Kinsley of the Merseybeats/Merseys.)

I never tire of this stuff.

• Like 3

Change of style now.. The Chairmen of the Board all had some individual pedigree on the US soul scene, but were brought together as a band by Holland/Dozier and Holland, after they left Motown in 1967.  From 1969 onwards, the Chairmen of the Board had a string of hits in the UK charts and clubs, of which the following are probably best known. The band seem to be till around, although a couple of original members have left us.

And 'Everything's Tuesday'..with a totally bizarre dance routine by Pan's People.

Whatever....