David Whitfield    Anthony Newley....Dennis Lotus....Edmund Hockridge...

Ok Edmund was i think Canadian......but lived near him in Peterborough..little name dropper that i am.....

My favourite of the above was Anthony Newley.......

• Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Don't forget Michael Holliday or Joseph Locke. Realise I'm going back a bit but there you go ! I'm gettin owd.

Believe it or not Josef Locke appeared at the Railway club in Bulwell..under a different name when he was having troubles with the Tax -man sometime in the 60s

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

see how many faces you can recognise

Six, maybe seven recognised but can't put  names to all the faces...   :(

• Like 1

Joseph Locke (Velvet glove, Hear my Song Violetta), Eddie Calvert, Barcarolle (Hoffman), Cavaliera Rusticana, Eartha Kitt (Millionare), these were my bedtime lullabies when I was a kid in the 50s. 78rpm played by older sister on her portable wind-up gram. Same programme every other night, quite novel those days.

• Like 1

Well Willow Wilson you have brought back some memories for me, My dad used to be a pub singer, not full time of cause, just Saturday nights at the local.   One song he used to sing was Hear my song, also On mother kelly's doorstep and many many more, but my favorite was Good buy at the time i think it was sung by David Whitfield. When dad passed away as people went into the church we gave them all a paper tissue. Why? well not for any tears that flowed.  The last song to be played was good  buy so!! when the song came from the mick, the people all stood up and waved there tissue.

@mary1947, The song to which you allude is from the musical 'The White Horse Inn'. I recall we used to sing it at school in the music lesson, under the tuition of our teacher,

Mr. Hallam. That were back in  1957.

• Like 1

Catch a Falling Star. They Can't Take That Away From Me. Moonlight Serenade... my father was always singing these when I was a child, plus his favourite, Come Fly With Me.

Being an irreligious person, my father threatened to haunt us if he spotted anyone sporting a dog collar at his funeral. I therefore conducted the funeral 'service' myself.  We had In The Mood by Glen Miller as we went in and, at the end, I had asked for Come Fly With Me by Frank Sinatra. Frank recorded that song goodness knows how many times over his career and I had heard many of them. You can't choose a particular recording at a funeral, so I just asked for some version of it by him.  

When the recording ended, after the final lyrics, "Come Fly with me, Come Fly, Let's fly...Pack Up, let's fly away!" I was surprised to hear Frank Sinatra say, "And don't tell your Momma!"  

That phrase was often used by my father when he'd done something he didn't want mum to know about. He'd look at me and say it, then grin.  Hearing it at the end of that recording reduced me to fits of giggles.

Afterwards, I made a point of listening to all the old recordings dad had collected of Frank singing that song but the version they played that day wasn't among them. I'd never heard it before and I've never heard it since.

Strange.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

see how many faces you can recognise

I'd never heard of or seen Gay Byrne but out of curiosity I watched the clip and only knew about twelve of the faces. I sort of guess he was the Irish equivalent of Parky?

6 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Eddie Calvert

Cor blimey Willow, Eddie Calvert, The man with the Golden Trumpet, that brought back some memories, my mum loved listening to Oh Mein Papa and Stranger in Paradise.

Now den 'Geezers'....lets git down the ''Streffham'' Locarno...and do the 'palais glide'.........not to mention the 'Lambuf walk''..............

Cheers BK  you must have read my thoughts.

Now here's another one but this time it was my grandad who sang it  he was not a pub singer though, he only sang when he had, had one two many   song "I Would'ent leave my little wooden hut for you"

Go to top of the class young man there's a gold star waiting for you.

I will try and set you another task but this time no u-tube or internet 

I have just got to put my thinking cap on . x

One of my favourite tv series of all time.........loved the music and the words that went with it.........

Also love being ''Where everyone knows your name''.....sometimes...

• Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, Brew said:

Do we not have crooners of our own?  Munro, Humperdinck, Valentine, Hilton., Vaughan.. I'm sure there must be more,

Meant to come back on this...  The thing is that although they were all competent singers and in some cases 'broader' entertainers in the old 'variety' style.. they were used shamelessly by the UK recording industry as 'vehicles' for 'covers' of UK hits. A good way to cash in on the popularity of a song.

So Frankie Vaughan did 'Green Door' (Jim Lowe) 'Tower of Strength' (Gene Mc Daniels), 'Kewpie Doll' (Perry Como) 'Kisses Sweeter Than Wine' (Jimmy Rodgers) and many other covers.

Humperdink's biggest hit 'Release Me, was also an American song done previously by lots, including the Everly's.

Munro was a fine singer.  He was also less afflicted by the 'cover version' mania than others.  Even his version of the Beatles 'Yesterday', was released before theirs.

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

they were used shamelessly by the UK recording industry as 'vehicles' for 'covers' of UK hits

US? But does it make them any the less 'crooners'? Are they less entertaining?  Munro was brilliant, Humperdink a much better voice then Jones etc, it's surely all down to perception and as for the song writer.... who cares?