Didn't realise this great song was Banned about 4 years ago..........When it was in the charts about 50 years ago i recall listening to it on a ''Juke Box'' in ''Alum Rock'  Birmingham in a little cafe full of Black and Asian blokes....and no-one batted an ''Eye-lid''...........even a couple of Chinese chaps when they heard

''Curly black and Kinky mixed with Yellow Chinky''

How this country's attitude has changed from those far off days....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Nothing like a pair of blue Jeans'' that fit in all the right places.....they GO with anything.......No matter Male or female...young or old.....get em on  and feel good.........

We both wear denim jeans most of the time, except when going out for dinner.  My husband was gathering stuff to go to charity recently and I counted 15 pairs of ‘designer’ jeans still in his wardrobe, AFTER he’d had a clear-out!  They’re comfortable and easy to wear, go with everything, easy to wash and tumble dry.  When I get old I’ll no doubt be wearing tracksuit bottoms all day, every day as I sit all day watching the telly.  

• Like 1

Many songs have question in the title. Here are a few with my answers, can you add any others?

What becomes of the Broken Hearted?  They go to the cardiac unit

How do you mend a broken heart?   With a surgeon at the cardiac unit

Do you know the way to San Jose?   Yes, it's not far from San Francisco

Why do fools fall in love?   Because they are stupid

Is this the way to Amarillo?  I don't know I've never Amarillo'd before

Where do you go to my lovely?   An apartment off the Boulevard St Michel

Does your mother know?   Yes, mothers know everything

How much is that doggie in the window?    Ask The Pet Shop Boys

Have you ever seen the rain?   Yes, for most of our "summer"

• Like 2

It nearly has been lots of times Louis....................

No nicer place than sitting in the Park.......having a moan....and making no sense....

• Like 1

Walk of life  Dire Straits

• Like 1

I remember that song from the Premier dance hall days down Illson 1965 ish

I think the song was sung then by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

The Sultans of swing is my favorite by Dire Straits mary.

• Like 1

Just love this advert............especially when the girl looks back after tripping...:)

On 1/14/2024 at 1:06 AM, Oztalgian said:

Is this the way to Amarillo?  I don't know I've never Amarillo'd before

Reminds me of the old literary gag..

"Do you like Kipling?"  "I don't know..I've never Kippled...."

On 1/16/2024 at 4:18 PM, IAN FINN said:

I think the song was sung then by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders.

Yes, the Wayne Fontana was a typical UK cover. Major Lance did the original. Lance also had it at No. 40 in the UK and had several other 'underground' hits, some of which I used to play at the 360 etc.. when I was a Fab DJ. :).. including The Matador, The Monkey Time, The Beat etc.. Many of his songs were written by Curtis Mayfield, of Impressions fame.

I was reminded yesterday that it was 50 years to the day since Joni Mitchell released her gorgeous 1974 album 'Court and Spark', so I gave my original vinyl a spin today.  This is my fave song from it:

On 1/8/2024 at 1:18 PM, LizzieM said:

When I get old I’ll no doubt be wearing tracksuit bottoms all day, every day as I sit all day watching the telly.  

I'm already doing that Lizzie.. Not trackies exactly, but M&S cotton loungers with elasticated waist.  Comfy, easy wash etc. Otherwise mostly jeans type stuff, but not blue denim. Dunno why.. nothing against denim.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'm already doing that Lizzie.. Not trackies exactly, but M&S cotton loungers with elasticated waist.  Comfy, easy wash etc. Otherwise mostly jeans type stuff, but not blue denim. Dunno why.. nothing against denim.

I was fired once over a pair of black denim jeans.

As a student I had a summer job at McFisheries and company policy said black trousers, I couldn't afford several pairs, they quickly picked the smell of fish so need regular washing, so black jeans it was.

A Dutch trainee manager spotted the difference and to emphasise his point kept poking in the chest till i slipped and fell.

I hereby publicly confess "yes Mr Porter you were right, it was me that knocked him on his arse over the conveyer and into the fish boxes". I might have told a bit of a fib when I denied all knowledge...

I got a job at Burtons tailors next day

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thought i'd go through 'Chris de Burgh's'' songs to see if i could find one as good as this.........

Answer no i couldn't...........

IVE always found Ladies in red....trouble...

But you gotta have a bit of trouble in life...

• Like 2

Ben

This is my favourite song with Red in the title. Brings back memories of the Goose Fair, the smell of candy floss, hamburgers and onions. The diesel smells and sounds of the generator sets, the flashing lights of the rides and the sparks from the pole on the dogems.

• Like 3

The great Rod.....looking good at 78 yrs old.......here he is only last year in Northampton.......

I used to live near there.......but i don't want to talk about it either......

• Like 3

Can't have enough favourites.....but Glen Campbell is definately one of mine...