• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

How do we get to listen to your playing? It would be most interesting methinks.

My playing days are long over Barrie. It was only a brief venture into the world of showbiz before I took up the more exciting life of accountancy. I did get into folk music later on and regularly went round the folk clubs. My singing voice was not up to doing public performance though!

Was he one of the ‘screws?’ It was a scary place to go believe me. I used to see the inmates being taken for a walk on a Saturday afternoon along Lambley Lane. It’s a proper cat.B prison now holding nearly 1000 prisoners.

A Colin Cade was based there in the 1960s. His daughters, Carolyn and Andreana both attended the same ballet classes as myself. They came into Nottingham on the train from Lowdham. Their father was transferred to Glen Parva and they had to find a new ballet teacher!

There used to be a lot of staff houses up there but I think they were sold into private ownership when it became a ‘proper’ prison. The borstal closed in 1982 and the new prison opened in 1998. I used to drive past almost daily when I was working and a friend of mine owned the Springfield pub at Epperstone by the rear entrance. He converted his home into the pub. How many of us would like to do that! If you look on Google Earth you can see the prison layout. You can see the estate of former staff houses but I don’t think they have any connection now.

13 hours ago, Beekay said:

On a lighter note...

cheers big ears u must send me a silly sheet of how to get these great ladies on our site   noddy xxxxxxxxxxx

On 2/3/2024 at 11:16 PM, Brew said:

Many happy returns  Col, you are:-

Aquarius (January 20 - February 18)

Do people seriously believe that an any given day one twelfth of the human population is going to meet a tall dark stranger with a wooden leg?

• Like 1

Did you spot the ''Hemlock stone'' ?..........i think...

Had a girlfriend who could see it from her bedroom window.........

So she told me.......:)

Her name was Brenda.........she was a big girl...................

At the Jaguar....Jaguar Stapleford.........:biggrin:

Remember the Jaguar from childhood. Paternal grandparents lived at Stapleford then.  Drove past The Jaguar a few years ago on a diversion due to a road closure. It looked very run down and I've been told it now no longer exists.

If it's where I believe it to be, it's now a Co-op and Star fish chip shop. But I've been known to err.

• 2 weeks later...

67/68.......I was no longer a teenager but my love of music and dance had grown stronger........helped by( in my opinion)  this beautiful song and sound.....one of the best ever..........

Was still doing the 'Light Fandango''...even doing ''Cartwheels cross the floor''':)

• Like 3

Loved Whiter Shade Of Pale, Knights In White Satin as well by Moody Blues.

Listening to it brought back so many good memories. Consider myself so lucky to have been a teenager then, the music, the clothes, good friends and good times.

I think they did another one after that called Homburg Hat or something, never did reach the same heights after their first record.

• Like 1