36 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

This is what i was trying to add to my post ref Liverpool....

I’ve been on a ferry across the Mersey well before that song was written. I think it was the Royal Daffodil. We went to visit one of my dad’s old workmates who lived in a prefab in Speke. It must have been in the ‘50’s. My girlfriend was at college in Liverpool and I used to go up there some weekends in my Healey Sprite. That was when Liverpool was the place to be. I later knew Alan Sytner who used to own the Cavern Club. He opened the Nottingham BMW dealership with his brother Frank on Mapperley top. I’ve been driven by Frank who was a racing driver. Even being driven through Nottingham by him was scary!

• Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

No, I think Plains Motor Co., which was further along towards the Miners' Welfare, was owned by another acquaintance of mine, Chick Wheelhouse who later moved to Gorse Hill Garage, then Lortas Rd, and ultimately Nuthall Rd. That was the sort of car he would sell back then.

Gerry was a very talented singer.

My current favourite song by Gerry and the Pacemakers:

• Like 1

Wheelhouse was the name back then they sold some exotic cars back then and on Westdale Lane was a chap named Bates rebuilt and rebored engines in a small garage at the back of his house my dad took his customers engines there for reboring lots of Ford 100E,s with their babbit big ends.

I think Bates is still there

434 Westdale Lane West
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7StYeBbNHML22JKCA

I remember taking a cylinder head there for skimming.  He also supplied a new head gasket and a set of other seals needed to complete the job.

• Like 1

I’m not sure who’s running Bates now. The old man is long gone. His son Phil used to work for Geoff Simpson the electrician in Arnold. He later worked for me as extrusion manager for a couple of years but went back on the road as a contract electrician. I last saw him at a funeral about 20 years ago and he was working with his brother installing kitchens. He must be retired by now. He did know about 105E engines though as he spotted a gasket in my office from a Caterham 7 I was working on.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Hi Oz I think i=Paper lace was also with the Reds and they made it together, not sure if it is the right Info 

You were 100% right Mary. I dragged out my copy. It was released in February 1978

This is the record sleeve. The Trent End stand in the background it is as I remember it.

Performance: We Got the Whole World in Our Hands by Nottingham Forest with  Paper Lace | SecondHandSongs

• Like 1

Cant believe its 60 years yesterday that this was made..................i was 19 and 'felt glad all over'' everyday..........back in my Coalville Farrands/Thrifty days and the West end club'' every friday night........

• Like 1
On 3/3/2024 at 10:41 PM, Cliff Ton said:

a great, original video

There are some interesting interpretation of some of the lyrics in Penny Lane.

Definitely the best ever Beatles "single" as it had Strawberry Fields Forever as its 'B' side

Most Beatles fans know that the Number 46 Liverpool Corporation bus went to Penny Lane, fewer knew that the 73A also went via Penny Lane as did the 77. I learned these useful facts from trivia nights at the pub

Can't believe its over 50 years ago......that i danced to this.....but sadly not in the moonlight........is it too late?

@benjamin1945 it’s never too late if you really want it to happen!

Well, dancing in tne moonlight is certainly possible…..

Perhaps someone could arrange an evening meet up when there’s a full moon :) 

• Like 1

Great Nottingham group

Believe it or not one of them did a few shifts for Farrands/Marsdens...Michael Vaughn......prior to his 'Paper Lace' days.........

paper-lace.jpg?s=594x594&w=gi&k=20&c=qyz-_Pbp-Zy2AIH_ywZwjxeBC4cZKH9hB6SsXyyYefo=

Nottinghams own..........with their biggest hit 1974

@benjamin1945I thought that was Paper Lace’s Chris Morris, I knew him as a young lad in the 60s as I caught my school bus outside his house on Coppice Road Arnold.  He was a few years younger than me. 

On 3/2/2024 at 7:11 AM, The Engineer said:

I remember taking a cylinder head there for skimming.  He also supplied a new head gasket and a set of other seals needed to complete the job.

When I was an apprentice toolmaker, back in the sixties, and doing night shift 10:00pm to 7:00am one of the guys used the factory crane to pull the motor out of his Zephyr 4. It was a 4 cylinder 1700cc motor. He had stripped the motor right down and had the cylinder head on a Parkson Milling machine being skimmed, the block was on a Newall Jig Mill/Borer boring and honing out the cylinders and skimming the block and the crankshaft was on a Jones and Shipman cylindrical grinder having the journals reground. All this was happening around 1:30 am when to his horror the managing director who had been out to some industry booze up decided to look in on the night shift to see how it was going. The MD was carefully steered around the shop so as to avoid the bits of engine being worked on and went home happy. Luckily the guy who's car it was was working one of the big copy mills which meant he had some time to do other stuff. He had brought all the stuff he needed to do a refurb of the engine, valve guides, big and little end bearings, oversize pistons and rings. seals/gaskets etc. By the time the day shift arrived at 7:00am the motor was back together and in the car, not without a lot of help from the rest of the shift during the night and surprisingly he drove home in the morning.

• Like 1

You could be right Lizzie..........it was a long time ago...i only met him once....his Dad was General Manager at Farrands based on Wigman road.....

Yes  '

@IAN FINN          down the bottom near a road island....and a Pub on the junction...cant recall its name........what did UYC stand for ?

That pub youre referring to Ben, is 'The Beechdale'.

Its situated where Beechdale veers off to the right and the road that goes straight ahead is Honington road. Wigman road starts at the next traffic island, ( this would be the route of the original buses, 56, 60 and 13 ((which turned left onto Glaisdale drive)). Often called in that pub when finished work at Bilborough depot. All those shops below Robins Wood road, I often pulled up at the bus stop and dash over to the paper shop for a paper or packet of fags. This was back in the mid 60s.

• Like 1

Yes Beekay.........and there was a Marsdens among those shops....did a week there early 60s..........