Been in it and shopped there while waiting for my car to be serviced at Beanland Motors, opposite the Beechdale pub.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

ben UYC stands for United Yeast Corporation they were suppliers of different meats to most meat shops accross the country and my favorite potted meat they kept me supplied with potted meat in those brown pot dishes.

On 3/24/2024 at 11:11 PM, LizzieM said:

@benjamin1945I thought that was Paper Lace’s Chris Morris, I knew him as a young lad in the 60s as I caught my school bus outside his house on Coppice Road Arnold.  He was a few years younger than me. 

I can't be 100% certain but that doesn't look like the Mick Vaughan I remember. I first came across him when we booked 'Lambs of the World' into the 360 club. He was I think 16 and lead guitarist of what was essentially Clive Lynch (aka Nottm's Lord Sutch)'s band. At that time Mick Vaughan was widely regarded as a very good guitarist for his age and I have to say he acted the part..:rolleyes:

Here's a link to a page on Lambs of the World and their later careers.

https://playedinaband.com/lambs_of_the_world.htm

Mick Vaughan later joined Paper Lace and the rest is history. Young Vaughany was always very keen to get 'in shot' when they were on the telly.

Clive (Sutch) Lynch now works solo as Carrington Brookes.

And Lizzie, our mutual friend Graham Wyvill joined Paper Lace later, and later still The Billy Fury Story, along with , I think John Raynor.

And that's the simplified version....:laugh:

• Upvote 1

I never knew that Den.  I shall pass that on to Picko.

So, after spending yesterday at a family gathering at my daughter's, for which the weather allowed us to sit outside for at least part of the time and then managing to get grass cutting etc., done today without getting wet..

I got to thinking about Summery songs..

Even 'oblique' references..

Then somehow the songs got a bit more sophisticated...

Add your own faves!

• Like 3

Finding that Acker Track above, reminded me of what is probably my all time favourite Clarinet blues...

Wally Plays the Blues, from the 1954 live album 'Humph at the Conway', by Humphrey Lyttelton and His Band of which I have a very rough copy..minus cover.. acquired about 1960.

Wally Fawkes, as well as being a very fine clarinet player, was possibly better known as the cartoonist Trog. He only died about a year ago..aged 98.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/mar/07/wally-fawkes-obituary

Arguments rage around 'Traditional' Jazz, with many 'purists' looking down on it and questioning its 'authenticity', but for me if it sounds good, it is good... and this sounds superb..

An epic blues, which plumbs the depths of misery, but seems to finish much more hopefully..  That's how I hear it anyway...

Can't believe its been 50 years since i did the ''Hustle''

Memories of my travelling days. '''''''''''.Always.....happy smiling faces..when this music began........

• Like 3

Great music Ben. Released by Van McCoy in the summer of the year we emigrated. Used in so many films.

This version with Pan's People really gets my motor running.

https://youtu.be/V3kE0rvAJhM

• Like 1

I remember all those songs too, but the ones which produced the most vivid memories were the ones pre 1962.   I associated each of these early songs with  different places and people and I feel so sad that those days are gone forever and many  of the lads and lasses I used to go round with will quite possibly no longer be here…..

Running through that lot shows an interesting cultural change.

In the first few years all the artists look like identikit younger versions of older people....dressing like their parents. It's only when the Rolling Stones appear in 1965 that young people start having their own identity which doesn’t involve copying what went before. (even the Beatles continued to wear suits and ties in those early years).

Love the old 'Cowboy'  associated songs.......and there was none better than ''Marty''......known as the 'Dude' on account of his style of dress.....sadly left us in his 50s........

• Like 1

Here's another.........and why not............

Old Deano could fit in anywhere........even with the 'Smart Dressed Pips ''

Mixed with the great voice of Gladys...and the song ''Midnight Train to Georgia''........don't make em like that anymore do they.......

• Like 1

Yes OZ...........He used to live in Netherfield.......:)

19 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Yes OZ...........He used to live in Netherfield.......:)

14 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Yeh!  and 'E's still 'ere  :biggrin:

Why would the devil live in Netherfield?

• Like 1

Enjoy 'Dire Straits''.........hope there's a few more to come....:)

• Like 1