Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Ben....I live just an hour or so south of the Appalachians.  Mrs L is from that neck of the woods in Tennessee.  I often call her a Hillbilly.  She uses sayings like, "I'm fixin' to..."  Uses quite a lot of English sayings that you would know too.  Likes Cornbread and Grits and quite a few foods I'd never heard of until I came here.  

I think it's because a lot of her ancestors came from the Norfolk area.  Seems to be more folks of UK descent here than there was in Canada.   There's a lot of Scots and Irish descendants up there too. When I listen to Bluegrass and some of their other folk music I detect a lot of similarities to Scottish and Irish country music.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HSR said:

About 60 miles! ;)...

Battery was flat..so rush job..

Not so much a joke, more a dry cynical oberservation, Not sure if it's still the case. Fullerton plant cut"s all the parts, then 'shipped' to Mexico for assembly. Workforce often interchanges.

The quality of "budget ' instruments today is amazing, the MIM Strat" I have is better than my '89 (don't tell her  ;)).

I have a "64 also, here I can tell a difference in the hardware.

Second hand you can pick one up for £350, perfect playability and tuning stability..ish. Replace the hardware if fussed with Lindy's, got a brilliant guitar for about £700.

The US version...2000 plus..and your still not getting the real deal..

You've got a '64 Strat? Wow.

Where did you pick that up?

I hope you're well insured.

Col.  I was so pleased to listen to Gigli singing Vesti la Giubbia.  My Dad's favourite -a normal working class bloke with a desperately poor background, who loved operatic arias.  Another favourite of his was Jussi Bjorling - I love this 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, annswabey said:

Col.  I was so pleased to listen to Gigli singing Vesti la Giubbia.  My Dad's favourite -a normal working class bloke with a desperately poor background, who loved operatic arias. 

That brought back memories for me because my grandad - who lived in Radford and worked at Players - had a thing about Italian opera. They never had a television set but did have a record player, and one of my memories of visiting them is hearing my grandad play records (including 78s).

At the time I didn't really understand what I was hearing (and I didn't particularly like it) but in retrospect I now know it was Italian opera. I'm still not very fond of it, but whenever I hear it, it brings back memories of visiting that house in the 1960s.

• Like 3

I don't mind operas. Never understood them but nice to listen to. Now I find they are more interesting when listening to them. When I saw the video of Gigli I thought what a strange title as I'd never heard of it and translated seemed an unlikely title for opera.Then listening to it, one phrase is "laugh, clown" and I would have said that was something in the title.

I enjoy listening and watching the young men called Volo. I watched them grow on tv and now they travel the world doing concerts, opera as well as other serious music. Three very disciplined and pleasant young men.

The words to this are beautiful. A song composed by Lucio  Dalla

Talking of Vesta la Giubbia, have you heard the one about:

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.”

First attempt at this, appears to have worked! There's another show that has some fantastic bluegrass.have DVD.i can't view utube due to data limitations..

I am not a lover of opera, the sooner the fat lady sings the better as far as I am concerned. It may be due to the fact that it was pushed down our throats at school. It sounds like someone scraping their nails down an old glass blackboard to me with a lot of people shouting and screaming.

It would not be good for us all to like and dislike the same thing, each to their own musical pleasure

I am not an opera fan, either, although I do like choral music and have sung in several choirs.  While I'm not a Verdi fan, I do like the Requiem. Mainly, my interest in music is greatest up to the late 1700s and is mainly concentrated around early music and plainchant.  That said, I love Vaughan-Williams, Butterworth, Finzi and some other, later, composers.  Stockhausen, John Cage and Einaudi you can keep!

In contrast

I love Bluegrass music and in particular Flatt & Scruggs. They composed this song and it was used for the tv show of The Beverley Hill Billies. Fantastic banjo playing.

Way to go Nonna B. Earl Scruggs version of Foggy Mountain Breakdown with men with banjos is sublime. Just look at the speed of their fingers on the frets and the picking.

Another top musician was Roy Clark, it was said he could play anything with strings.

• Like 2

Didn't know Steve Martin played. You learn something new every day.

Hugh Laurie and especially Jeff Goldblum also have their moment's!;)

Why isn't there a dedicated Nottingham music thread on here? Copyright?

Like these.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great performance from Bonamassa ....

( shame about youtube now sticking bloody ads in the middle of songs:angry:)

Been digging in .. and on.. my 50s collection. Romantic stuff!!

• Upvote 1

And a few years later the Flamingos had this massive hit wot we useter play down the 360..

Sadly.. it seems that the original Boogaloo ..of Latin/Carribean origin.. has been hijacked by certain Far Right groups.