Kookie Brynes...cool Cookie...stole the show....sadly passed last year............

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, Ayup Ben, pleased to see you back and sorry you’ve had health issues but hope you settle into your new home quickly.  Did you get out before the rent man called?   Just hope that a few of th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Posted Images

Love this one....Shades of my Palais and 99 club days........Paul Jones great voice........

• Like 1

I wish I could dance.  I was always useless on that front.  Not a good look for a supposed DJ... :(

Anyway.. what I have actually been listening to in the car recently is a bit of Pavarotti.

Che Gelida Manina (Your Tiny Hand is Frozen) La Boheme..

This Aria just pulls you along.. you have no choice but to follow.... magnificent.

And ..Pagliacci....

After checking on our site whats post have been put on, I am now going to watch the "Kilkennys" on utube.

Early Nottingham Group  ??

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Fat men and women screaming in a foreign language. Not for me thanks, but good for those that enjoy it

Thought you were talking about the Eurovision song contest for a minute Oz.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Fat men and women screaming in a foreign language. Not for me thanks, but good for those that enjoy it

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has that opinion of opera.

• Like 1

As an addition to my previous post, I should point out that I like almost all of music (classical, rock, pop, etc etc) but I just can't get on with classical singing. The more extreme it is, dragging out notes and warbling endlessly up and down the scale, the worse it sounds.

My parents used to complain about pop music and "you can't understand the words they're singing"  and I always pointed out that in opera you can't even indentify the language they're singing in. 

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Ahhh, proper music...

Hint of irony there Jim? ;)

6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

You're entitled to your taste Oz, although I think that 'screaming' is a bit unfair.

For me.. I like those melodies, and Pavarotti isn't necessarily my favourite operatic tenor. I also like Gigli very much. As for Opera.  I couldn't sit through the whole thing, with the 'sung' dialogue.  I just like the tunes for the arias.  Even then, the lyrics can be surprisingly banal when translated.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has that opinion of opera.

As above Kev.  For what it's worth I can't stand those girly pop singers like Mariah Carey et al when they get into warbling, though I could listen to someone like Sarah Vaughan all day.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

and I always pointed out that in opera you can't even indentify the language they're singing in. 

I think it's usually Italian or German, though it can be other languages.

https://vocalsintune.com/what-language-is-opera-sung-in/

Would you decribe this the same way you described opera above?

It brings me to tears. In a good way.

• Like 1

Good grief!   :Shock:

Here's a bloke singing proper.

46 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

For what it's worth I can't stand those girly pop singers like Mariah Carey et al when they get into warbling, 

Totally agree. For me one of the worst recordings ever in the whole world is Whitney Houston ruining 'I will always love you'. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, DJ360 said:

Here's a bloke singing proper.

Even I worked out what the title means having never studied German.  You don't really need to know much more to 'get' the song...  But: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/du-bist-wie-eine-blume-you-are-flower.html

8 minutes ago, Beekay said:

At least you can understand what he's singing !

Yep... that's the problem.  What sickly lyrics!!

Had a pint in the 'Peach Tree'' with (well same time)  David Whitfield''........listening to radio Luxemburgh (sp) crackling...about 1963........same night Mike Winters came in....rubbed some shoulders me ya know..........

No irony at all Col. I enjoy hearing him sing but best, in my opinion, was Domingo in his young days. Callas, though not technically the best soprano, really was something special. Netrebko is top of the current crop.

My car has a 10Gb hard drive, virtually all classical music.

Like you sitting through a full opera can be boring and I suspect most people are waiting for the 'good bits'.

Can't disagree with that Jim,  I too like Domingo.  I'm also very fond of an album of Italian songs sung by Gigli, whose style was often more introspective and less histrionic.  Pavarotti was I believe classed as a 'Spinto', but my knowledge of subdivisions of Tenor is limited to say the least.

As for classical in general.  I'm not much impressed by the likes of Wagner, but I'm very fond of most of Dvorak's stuff, Elgar and Vaughan Williams too.  I love Mozart Clarinet Concerti.. and similar stuff by Crusell and Weber. Also Mozart Piano Concerti.. especially 23.

Lots more stuff too.

As someone noted elsewhere.... 'So much music..so little time...'