Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story is when the alleyway was constructed 17th/18th century men would urinate against the wall to help combat this practice these angled bricks (some with fluted tops) was set into the wall therefore directing any urine from the culprit back towards his trousers and boots, I don't know whether it did stop the practice but I think we could do with something like these against some of the walls in some cities these days

Newark-10-02-24-1.jpg

Newark-10-02-24-2.jpg

Rog

• Like 3
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I wasn't hoping for much and wasn't disappointed. All Indian food tastes pretty much the same to me. A high end Indian restaurant, Ghurka One, in nearby Rolleston has just closed down to be repla

So sad Rog.......all towns and Cities are going the same way........our World is becoming unrecogniseable from the one we knew and grew up with......and its not for the better.........

Between Castle gate and Middle gate there is a small alleyway and at the entrance off Castle gate are these unusual bricks set into the wall about twelve to fifteen inches from the ground, the story i

18 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

There's also a piece today about an archaeological dig at Newark Castle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68252477

I tried to have a look at the dig yesterday but you can't get anywhere near it, the only place where you could see a little part of it was through the archway but the ground is absolutely covered in pigeon crap so I didn't bother, such a shame really because there are loads of people interested but unable to access it

Rog

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

We certainly could do with more public toilets. The centre of Nottingham is bereft. Perhaps fining people for peeing in the street is a money raiser like speed cameras. I’ve never been caught doing either!

Just because youv'e never been caught, does'nt exactly mean you did'nt do it. Nothing surprises me on this forum.

• Like 1

Didn't they make a film by that name?....'Nanny McPee'.

Edit, Was walking along Eastbourne seafront once and we spotted a 'lady' crouching down, and she was definitely NOT  taking a pee ! Not been back since.

31 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Didn't they make a film by that name?....'Nanny McPee'.

Edit, Was walking along Eastbourne seafront once and we spotted a 'lady' crouching down, and she was definitely NOT  taking a pee ! Not been back since.

Regular occurrence around Boston so I'm told Barrie

Rog

Boston went down the pan some years ago. It used to be such a pleasant town. I remember queuing at Tates fish and chip shop, a local institution. Immigration has not done east Lincolnshire and Boston any favours. It’s similar now in Spalding and Wisbech.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Boston went down the pan some years ago. It used to be such a pleasant town. I remember queuing at Tates fish and chip shop, a local institution. Immigration has not done east Lincolnshire and Boston any favours. It’s similar now in Spalding and Wisbech.

and spreading throughout the whole country

Rog

• Like 1

There’s a sign in Southampton airport saying ‘Southampton for the Continent. Eastbourne for the Incontinent’.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Regular occurrence around Boston so I'm told Barrie

Rog

Back in 1965, I used to deliver coal to F.M.S. Boston, ( Farmers Market Supplies). 20 tons of washed singles out of Gedling colliery.

( That's where I had my one and only collision. I hit a bullock near the Ancaster crossroads).

It was on the A153, heading to Sleaford, about 1/2 mile from the Xroads. Came out of a brilliant sunshine into very heavy shaded area and this black bullock ran out into the road followed by its mate. One on either side of the road.

Nice to see the blossom out in Newark yesterday, even in the rain

Newark-17-02-24-1.jpg

and Trent bridge through the mist

Newark-17-02-24-3.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like the "Tour of Britain is coming back to Newark again this year

Rog

l understand that Wyse Guys Menswear closed down before Christmas. As far as l know the only menswear shop left in Newark is Masdings. I can recall Randalls, Ernest Rick, Whitehouse, Greenwoods, Alexandre, Burtons, Michael Reed, Hamblings, not forgetting Marks & Spencer. There was also a boutique on Kirkgate where l bought an ill-advised tank top.

They all seemed to have been there for ever (apart from the boutique) and we assumed they always would be. Where do blokes in Newark buy their clothes now?

I buy my shirts, always checked, from Edinburgh Woollen Mill, online. Anything else I drive to Downtown (Boundary Mills) near Grantham. No parking problems and only about half an hour’s drive from home. I tend to be given sweaters at Christmas and have heaps of them. My shoes are always the same style so I buy them online from Padders when my current ones have worn out. I stopped being trendy 60 years ago! I did like Randall’s shop in Newark though.

Now I am retired and due to the casual lifestyle here in OZ I only have 3 semi formal shirts, the rest are collared casual polo shirts, the same goes for tailored trousers and I no longer own a suit. Summer wear is usually a T shirt and shorts, winter is cotton track suit pants with a fleece top. I don't own an overcoat. A drizabone oilskin jacket suffices for a cold rainy day when I am outside.

Thanks philmayfield for the tip. l also want checked shirts. I'll take a trip to Boundary Mills and EWM/Pitlochry in Lincoln. lf l find something satisfactory l can order online in the future.

l forgot to mention Alkit on Castlegate. l suppose their market disappeared with the closing of most RAF stations in the area.