Duraglit, Brasso, and Companion Sets

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

,,Ham Hock,,Ounce of Yeast,,Camp Coffee,,Sunlight Soap,,Beetop Sauce,,Duraglit,,1/4 of Gorgonzola,,and half a pound of Pork Dripping.......

All sounds familiar....apart from Duraglit. I don't remember that and had to look it up.

• Like 1

Along with Brasso they also manufactured Silvo......did'nt have as much Silver as Brass,so sales were much less.........

5 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I remember Brasso. My grandparents on Grimston Road had one of those fireplace sets of poker, tongs, brush and pan, which were all shiny brass. I was fascinated by them.

They were called ''Companion sets'' think we all had them.......................Edit.....sorry Red,,didnt realise it was one above,,:wacko:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

All sounds familiar....apart from Duraglit. I don't remember that and had to look it up.

Pah ! young 'uns today... don't know they're born...

On 9/6/2020 at 7:14 AM, katyjay said:

companion set

A companion set was one of the first things we made in metalwork at school, did scroll work on the stand and learned how to twist the square section steel for the poker, broom and shovel shafts, turned the handles on a lathe, brazed the shafts into the handles and rivetted the shaft to the shovel. The only bit that was not hand made was the broom head. Mum and dad had it for years, don't know what happened to it when they got gas.

Even i Made a set OZ.................Must have been late 50s,,,,,,Mam still used the Poker for Ornamental purposes right up to the 90s,,,think my brothers still got it......managed to make 3 things in Metalwork......the said Companion set,,a Rod rest and nicest of all a Brass ''Caddy spoon'''........I recall Mr Spears showing and telling us ''How to Titivate it'' causing youthful Giggles.....still got it somewhere,,,always makes me smile when i see it.....remembering my 1st ''Tittivation'' session................:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • 2 years later...
On 9/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, Stuart.C said:

Still available today, for a bargain £12;

V4LZP4K.png?1

Or if Your Stately home needs one a slightly more expensive one;

K3RSLfh.png?1

Remember the black set , we had one  as I recall 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, benjamin1945 said:

managed to make 3 things in Metalwork

I also made a brass ashtray with engine turning on the flat base and a wrought iron fire screen in metalwork.

Woodwork was a "box" with a foot shaped rest on top to keep your shoe polish, brushes and rags in and finally a round coffee table made of veneer faced chipboard with plastic trim glued on to hide the edge and screw in round legs. I remember spending ages getting a good finish on the top of the table.