At Manning, on the last day of term, we used to play it in French! The winner would shout BANGO! or MAISON MAISON! :wacko:

We used to play Battleships, too.  HMS whatever the teacher's name was. "I've just torpedoed Mrs Barnes!". Response, "Well, she's a big enough target!". Great fun!

• Like 2

My early experiences of Bingo (or Lotto as it also said on the box) was when we visited my grandparents on Grimston Road.

We'd go on a Sunday afternoon and have tea around 5-6pm. Then the bingo cards would come out and we'd play with real money contributed by the adults (but the kids would get the financial prizes if they won). The prizes were amounts like 3d or 6d, which in those days was worth having if you were 8 years old.

• Like 1

Bingo reminds me of what we have around Christmes in the church hall. We each have a very worn card and a handfull of dried  beans , peas or corn to cover the numbers that are called out. 5 in a line also wins but the winnings isnt money. The locals donate prizes. Butchers donate sausages and salami, wine producers donate wine all local. Peanuts are poured onto tables,for,us to chew on to concentrate and bottles,of local wine flows, a bottle every 3/4 persons. Cards cost very little and theres usually a full capacity.and its a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

It's just gone 9.00pm and I've just got back from our centre Bingo. I won the snowball £10 and following game @ £2.80. Might buy 'er indoors another frying pan or wok, tomorrow.

• Like 1

I too remember playing bingo at the Adelphi. My wife once won £400.0 one evening. But what I remember best of all was that you could buy mushy peas during the interval, as well as a cup of tea. They did other food and beverages mind.

Mushy peas! You could buy them on the Central and later Victoria market, at the mushy pea stall. They were also a delicacy at Goose Fair. We got a couple of cartons with our fish and chips takeaway from Southwell last week. They were a disgusting runny green goo. 

Hiya Phil., last time I had mushy peas at Goose fair, I noticed all the large catering tins under a partially covered shelf. Shattered my image of remembering large vats of dried peas soaking in water. Nevertheless,  I still have peas with mint sauce as and when.

Eating out is a con at so many places. You think it’s cooked on the premises but basically it’s a Brake Brother’s ready meal.  I peeked into the kitchen of a fancy pub restaurant in Cornwall a few years ago and saw row upon row of microwave ovens. Some restaurant prices are a complete rip off. We rarely eat out other than for a simple pub lunch.

• Like 1

Will you be zipping over to Primark, Mr Mayfield, to purchase a hoodie with a Gregg's sausage roll emblazoned on the front?  Or, "It's a pastry thing," down one arm?  I wonder if they'll be selling them in Bulwell at Gregg's?  Can't see Ben wearing one. Not stylish enough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60311654

I don’t shop in Primark! Neither will I wear clothes that display the brand’s label prominently on the exterior. I don’t patronise Greggs either. Southwell fish and chip shop is the lowest I will stoop and I usually wait in the car whilst my wife goes in! :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 2/12/2022 at 11:11 PM, nonnaB said:

I dont even like plastic shopping bags with shop logos on them.

I see that Lyles are changing the logo on their Golden Syrup and Treacle for the first time in over 100 years.

I thought it was a lion having a kip with some flies buzzing around it. Apparently not, it was a dead lion's carcass with some bees around it using it to make honey. It is based on a well know story from the bible. Not surprising that that I haven't heard of it as I have never ever read the bible and we don't have one in the house. The rebranding, including plastic bottles shows a happier faced lion. the classic tin logo will remain unchanged

It was a riddle that Samson set.  It was ‘out of the strong came forth sweetness’

The answer was of course a lion (strong) and honey (sweetness’) from the bees 

I ate golden syrup sandwiches growing up and I'm very familiar the logo and the motto. but only today have I learned the lion is dead!