mary1947  keep trying gal. Good for you for getting out there, only a matter of time before you can be a Lewis Hamilton.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Nuncargate ??   I did not go to Nuncargate on my scooter, I was only ???? which was years before I needed my beautiful Red mean Machine. 

Mrs B you will be please to know that I have put my name down for the Monaco Grand Prix.

After 15 years of pot holes (And I mean very, very big POT HOLES) Sedgwick street is finally going to be resurfaced.

I will take that comment back as the whole street is not going to be resurfaced as I don't think that the council have enough tar, so all that is been done is the centre of the road, The only good thing about it is that folk can still park  both sldes while it is being done.

Next Day    wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   went down the middle of Sedgwick St in my mean machine  did not feel one bump or find any pot holes, must remember to stop at the bottom though as it is a main road.

I like those made by Taylors of Bottesford.

Dickenson and Morris do a very good one that can only be bought in its Melton Shop I think it has a different colour wrapper to the one sold in supermarkets.

15 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Aldi's Specially Selected Melton Mowbray pork pie is nice. Plenty of meat, gelatin, nice crust with a hint of pepper 

Are you sure about having jelly inside the pies H.A., cos' if I go down to Aldi to buy one and there's no jelly inside, I'll come looking for yuz. :ninja:

I was starting to enjoy Maloneys of Tuxford pork pies which I got from the Gonalston Farm shop but now that’s burnt down I don’t know of another local stockist. I did try Hockerton Farm shop but their pies were very stodgy. Perhaps Spring Lane may bake their own. I’ll check when I’m passing. Maybe Stoppards in Southwell do them as well. They certainly make excellent meat pies.

On another note, the Yorkshire-based makers of “Vale of Mowbray” pork pies is being wound-up. Sold primarily in supermarkets as a budget brand.

Never liked their pies. Rock-hard pastry, no jelly, and pink sludge filling.

https://www.just-food.com/news/uk-pork-pie-firm-vale-of-mowbray-enters-administration/

17 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Phil., surely there are still some original pie shops in Melton, and I don't suppose it's a million miles away from you.

It must be a sign of age......when I was young I liked pork pies but hated the jelly, so I used to pick it out and throw it aside.

As I've got older I now couldn't eat a pork pie without a reasonable amount of jelly in it.

I very rarely eat pork pie as I'm not much of a pastry fan and I hate the jelly in them. It reminds me of that awful ham in a tin that my Grandma used to buy for Sunday tea, and although I've never eaten any the jelly has always reminded me of frog spawn...yuk!

I do love jelly babies though BK.

Green and Black ones are the best.

• 1 month later...