Already painted that on Pianoman, Any idea about the seats colour, I think I remember them being red and the upstairs had the long seats as opposed to the doubles in two rows

Rog

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to find a Leyland Atlantean I could re-brand as NCT, so here is the result from this     To this         Waiting for the destina

A Reliant Regal with City of Nottingham Water Department on it side, I didnt know they used these, can anyone remember them.  

Lincolnshire transport museum Hykeham open days 30 June 27 October free admission, refreshments available at reasonable cost also open Sundays 11.00 till 16.00 but no buses running

No, I didn't look inside it - I just took the pictures! If it had the long seats upstairs I assume it is a lowbridge bus.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

If it had the long seats upstairs I assume it is a lowbridge bus.

Yes it was the, the upstairs side walkway protruded into the lower deck and many a passenger bumped their heads when standing up to get off the bus. The Midland General B8 from Mansfield to Nottingham via everyone's back garden was often an AEC Regent III RLH (Regent Low Height) and Barton Transport had a very special Dennis Loline II which was the lowest ever for a fully enclosed double deck bus in the UK 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Yes it was the, the upstairs side walkway protruded into the lower deck and many a passenger bumped their heads when standing up to get off the bus. The Midland General B8 from Mansfield to Nottingham via everyone's back garden was often an AEC Regent III RLH (Regent Low Height) and Barton Transport had a very special Dennis Loline II which was the lowest ever for a fully enclosed double deck bus in the UK 

Midland General also had Bristol LD6's with the same arrangement. Regularly used on B1 for no apparent reason.

Some Clifton services went over Clifton Bridge, and others went over Trent Bridge. The latter route included going along Wilford Lane which had a low railway bridge. All the operators (NCT, South Notts, WBUDC) had low-bridge buses to cope with that bridge. That's how I had direct experience of those long seats and side gangway.

• Like 1

Camms also used to have a double decker with the upstairs side walkway. I used to travel to school on it when they ran special school busses from Broxtowe Lane to my school, High Pavement. I don't know what make of bus it was though, sorry!

Incidentally there was a transport rally at Ruddington last Sunday, did anyone go? I know that there was a Shippos Foden lorry there because a friend sent me a picture. 

• Like 1

Didn't know Camms had one of those, good bit of info there Marrowman, still waiting to get over to Ruddington heritage place to see some of their vehicles, hopefully this summer, I live not far from the Lincolnshire transport heritage museum and that's worth a visit, sometimes having open days and free bus rides in their vintage buses

Rog

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The latter route included going along Wilford Lane which had a low railway bridge. All the operators (NCT, South Notts, WBUDC) had low-bridge buses to cope with that bridge.

As an aside wasn't the Chateau, a Berni Inn on Wilford Rd.

In all the years of going to Nottingham I never travelled on a South Notts or a WBUDC bus. NCT Trent, Barton. MGO, Gash's but never those two.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

As an aside wasn't the Chateau, a Berni Inn on Wilford Rd.

Yes, the Chateau was a Berni at some point in its life, although I never managed to visit the place. It closed down and was demolished in the early 2000s, and the site now includes a Gym, a Starbucks, and a Lidl.

2 hours ago, plantfit said:

Didn't know Camms had one of those, good bit of info there Marrowman, still waiting to get over to Ruddington heritage place to see some of their vehicles, hopefully this summer, I live not far from the Lincolnshire transport heritage museum and that's worth a visit, sometimes having open days and free bus rides in their vintage buses

Rog

Rog, let us know about open days there might be a few interested on here.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, the Chateau was a Berni at some point in its life, although I never managed to visit the place. It closed down and was demolished in the early 2000s, and the site now includes a Gym, a Starbucks, and a Lidl.

When I worked at SPD, we used to deliver Birds Eye to the Chateau. They used to advertise "Home Apple pie" etc.,  but we delivered it in frozen trays, uncooked. When the trade descriptions act came in they removed the advert and just put on the menu, "Home cooked". nb. I believe the range was called Top Tray and was Birds Eye catering range.

Lincolnshire transport museum Hykeham open days

30 June

27 October

free admission, refreshments available at reasonable cost

also open Sundays 11.00 till 16.00 but no buses running then

A few pics of what they have

DSCF2072.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2062.jpg

Plenty more on show than these few

Rog

• Like 3

We used to go to the Chateau regularly. One night I paused my meal to play the drums as a member of the group hadn’t turned up. I’m not a trained drummer but can turn my hand to most things in an emergency! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Used to love the Chateau, back in the day when Irish coffees were considered posh. I must have had some of that Birds Eye apple pie in my time. My aunty used to have a flat at Riverside on Wilford Lane.

@plantfit, Rog, remind me please, of the name of that other transport museum up near Doncaster way.

I believe you've been there afore. B.

Ah Garlic coffee! We had a subsidiary company in Dublin and one of the directors claimed that his cousin, who worked at the Shelbourne hotel, was the inventor. I thought it was a load of Blarney!

Back in the day the Riverside flats were the upmarket place to live. Now they look like a concrete prison block.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

@plantfit, Rog, remind me please, of the name of that other transport museum up near Doncaster way.

It’s probably the old wartime airfield at Sandtoff. I flew into there many years ago. They did a good Yorkshire fry up!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Beekay said:

That would be Sandtoft I think, some trolley buses there including a couple of NCT ones

Rog

12 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

A Starbucks for a Berni Inn, that was a good swap...not.

• Like 1