Way back in the ‘50’s at primary school we used to sing English folk songs in the weekly music lesson. I presume all Notts schools used the same song book. Can anyone remember the title?

In later years we regularly used to go to the folk clubs in pubs in Southwell, Newark and Cropwell Bishop and hear celebrity artists and local singers. Have folk clubs died out now?

One of Cecil J Sharps collection dished up for piano by Percy Grainger, played by me. Sorry, camera was out in the wind.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

I've always remembered the name Sabine Baring-Gould from early school days, in connection with hymns and folk songs. 

And never having known any other person named Sabine, I always assumed it was a woman. I discovered only a few years ago that it's a man.

His main claim to fame may be writing 'Onward Christian Soldiers'.

3 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

One of Cecil J Sharps collection dished up for piano by Percy Grainger, played by me. Sorry, camera was out in the wind.

The next meet-up needs to be in a place which has a piano, and you can play music to accompany us while we eat.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

The next meet-up needs to be in a place which has a piano, and you can play music to accompany us while we eat.

So who is going to play the piano to accompany me while I eat?  :)

4 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

So who is going to play the piano to accompany me while I eat?  :)

I have a feeling you are the most proficient pianist on the Nottstalgia forum Malcolm!  

@ Mal.. I'm very envious of your piano skills.  I can't get both sets of fingers to do the same thing at the same time, much less different things...

I believe Cecil Sharpe House in London is still the HQ of the English Folk Dance and Song Society. An enquiry via their website might get results.

https://www.efdss.org/cecil-sharp-house

We sang follk songs too, though the only ones I clearly recall are 'The Raggle Taggle Gypsies Oh!, and 'Soldier Soldier Will You Marry Me?'

We were forced also to sing. 'My Sweet Little Alice Blue Gown', which isn't English..or a folk song. It's an American song first featured in a 1919 Broadway Musical called 'Irene'., but I digress.. I liked the tune, but hated having to sing those words as an 8 or 9 year old BOY!!!  :angry:

Peak Folk Club activity here seems to have been in the 70s-90s, when I was a regular at a club in St Helens, which later moved to a couple of venues in this village before seemingly fizzling out. Not sure what's happening here.  Also, there's a very strong Irish influence, partly due to our proximity to Liverpool, but that's not a problem for me. I like all decent Folk music.