Floods October 2023

The Trent used to be dredged and was deeper when there was commercial barge traffic so that must have helped it to take more water. The river, however, is tidal up to Cromwell Weir just beyond Newark and the state of the tide will have an effect on the river flow. 

The Trent at Newark yesterday

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

Managed to get out of our village alright but the Witham has overflowed near Bassingham, Thurlby,Aubourn,Haddington and the police closed off the roads around there

Rog

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Floods October 2023

The river was over at Gunthorpe this morning but I’ve seen it worse. No water washing over the A612 at Gonalston anymore and all the water has disappeared from the catchment area of Lowdham cricket ground by the island. It’s slowly getting back to normal other than in the low lying fields.

I remember being taken to see the 1947 floods in Nottingham. The flooded Arkwright St. could be seen from the higher ground of the Midland station entrance. 

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

It’s recently been reopened with a new landlord. Got to sell a lot of food and drink to cover those outgoings though

The turnover is quoted at a tad over £658k, with profit circa £38k

My mum was living with the rest of her family down the Meadows, on Queens Grove in 1947.  This street was next to what is now The Vat & Fiddle pub.  The properties had a downstairs sitting room and a staircase up to the ‘best front room’ at street level.  Mum told me that when the Trent flooded their piano was floating up at the ceiling of the downstairs room. She and my Dad wore wellies to go out ‘courting’!  They got married later that year. 

8 hours ago, Brew said:

It would float if the frame was wood rather than cast iron.

Eureka (I have found it) Now you have to run around the town naked Brew.

Archimedes worked out that all an object has do to float is displace its' own weight in water.

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Eureka (I have found it) Now you have to run around the town naked Brew.

Archimedes worked out that all an object has do to float is displace its' own weight in water.

Doh.... not again... last time the neighbours said they were not sure what I was wearing but it needed ironing...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just got back from Newark. The flood waters have receded considerably and it’s now possible to see the course of the Trent. The roads are all clear through the Trentside villages but the A617 is still closed at Kelham bridge and there is a diversion in place via the A616 and the old Great North Rd. The water height measured at the Colwick gauge is now within the normal parameters.