Our carbon footprint?

10 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Your so right PP so, as we are (well most of us) all getting on in life I don't think we can do much about it

So just smile be-happy

Well, I'm 85 Mary and trying to do my bit to reduce my large carbon footprint - still smiling and happy though :)

To be honest, for me to make a significant reduction would mean quite a change of lifestyle. Downsizing from our rambling old house would be one but we would struggle with that.

If we all did little things........

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

but we would struggle with that.

Which is the main reason we're still a long way from our goal. We would all agree to to most the drastic of changes provided it did not impinge on our comfort level. In many ways we're all nimbys to some degree.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 3:59 AM, PeverilPeril said:

Oz will know what I'm referring to when I say that my speciality was hot runner control.

Pevril Peril, What was your hot runner system called I may have used it either in the UK or OZ?

Has anyone on here had a good look at the styling of the new all electric SUV's. Just seen an ad with the new KIA EV9. It looks like it has been styled by a four year old. Three square boxes joined together it is absolutely fugly. What happened to cars with style? (picture from CNET)

2024 Kia EV9 First Drive Review: Lightning Strikes Thrice - CNET

After years of streamlining the fronts of cars and making them more pedestrian safe in the event of contact, including shock absorbing bonnets with explosive lifters, greater clearance under the bonnet to allow it to collapse etc, the trend now is the style and size of vehicle above, 4x4 style, which I believe, like vans and lorries are allowed to be less pedestrian friendly.

Get hit by the thing above and you'll flattened back onto the road and run over, and squahed, instead of being safely lifted onto the bonnet.

Agree. They also seem to give driver's an impression  of both superiority  AND invincibility, which negatively  affects their driving and their consideration for other road users. And finally their headlights are higher and more likely to dazzle driver's of 'normal' vehicles.

I had to use a 4x4 to get through the floods in our village this morning. We’ve had at least one in the family long before they became fashionable. Floods and deep snow haven’t kept us housebound. We’ve never hit anything or anybody in over 40 years. The people who complain about them secretly wish they had one! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Pevril Peril, What was your hot runner system called I may have used it either in the UK or OZ?

We had a dozen injection moulding machines making LDPE handles. Never used the hot runner system although I have seen it in use.

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

When I was at DMS I sold Japanese Plagate shut off nozzles and the Swedish Heldin probes along with my own design Manifolds and Minifolds. Later I was a partner in PMS systems who made controllers for the big Multi Nationals. They were taken over by MoldMasters, then Husky after I retired.

ps - we had an agent in Adelaide - Bob Parrington - he also owned a football club.

What used to be a large/medium-sized car a few years ago is now small alongside many EVs.

Drivers who have trouble with spaces in car parks will give up trying and just leave the thing anywhere.

I noticed at the car park in the new B&Q in Newark yesterday there were 10 charging Tesla charging stations. All were vacant as were the other 10 at Waitrose. We often do a 300 mile round trip and return without stopping on the way and still have half a tank of fuel when we get home. Electric cars, if you can afford the initial cost and the high depreciation, are idea for the daily commute or shopping and I applaud those who have already bought them for without them the technology wouldn’t be advancing. I’ll be waiting and assessing for the moment.

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Has anyone on here had a good look at the styling of the new all electric SUV's. Just seen an ad with the new KIA EV9. It looks like it has been styled by a four year old. Three square boxes joined together it is absolutely fugly. What happened to cars with style? (picture from CNET)

2024 Kia EV9 First Drive Review: Lightning Strikes Thrice - CNET

This is what happens when you let computers design things, at the moment computers have no imagination and certainly no soul,

Rog

8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The people who complain about them secretly wish they had one! :biggrin:

Agree Phil!  We had various 4x4 vehicles years ago and found them indispensable when we lived in a village 12 miles cross-country on narrow lanes to the boys school.  

I quite like the looks of that Kia EV 9 - but there again I've never liked swoopy cars. Big estates or SUV's for me. Pick up's even better. The Kia, being boxy, will have more space than a curvy design.

The problem with EV's is space due to the volume of battery, so a bigger car has relatively more space per overall volume.

I think a lot of EV's are bought on company schemes. My SIL has one and the terms are very attractive and includes a low cost recharging contract. If I were still in business I would definitely be running a large EV.

9 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

They were taken over by MoldMasters, then Husky after I retired.

ps - we had an agent in Adelaide - Bob Parrington - he also owned a football club.

Often used Mold-Masters hot runner systems for our US customers. Still got a Swiss army knife they gave me 30+years ago. More often than not we used Yudo hot runner systems from Korea.

I knew Bob Parrington well. He came up with a unique way of internally cooling mould tools. The company is called Ritemp Technologies and he is also co-chairman of another Adelaide company called Comtec Australia. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I had to use a 4x4 to get through the floods in our village this morning. We’ve had at least one in the family long before they became fashionable. Floods and deep snow haven’t kept us housebound. We’ve never hit anything or anybody in over 40 years. The people who complain about them secretly wish they had one! :biggrin:

I have never been stuck in snow.  Even when I had a very lightweight Fiat Grande Punto 'Sporting' with low profile tyres I managed.

We had a Range Rover for the balloon, it never saw snow, we had a Mitsubishi all wheel drive, that too never saw snow. We have Mercs now that won't even get off the drive if there's more than an inch of snow. Living on a substantial hill do we need a 4x4? nope, we have a solution - stay indoors...

If we ever had any substantial snow here I would lock my car in the shed at the bottom of the garden and retreat to a room far from the road at the front of the house

The idiots here do not know how to drive in the wet. God help us if it snows.

• Like 1