admin

Alfreton Road

I once lived in the cul de sac above and left of the Capitol, and could clearly see it, and hear the trains. The Leen runs parallel to the green strip.

10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The building in the lower centre is the Capitol; the Colliery was behind and to the left, now occupied by a bit of green space and a bit of housing. Not sure I'd want to live in one of those houses.

Yes, I can now work out which window I was looking out of as a child.  We had friends who lived on Lynmouth Crescent and the Colliery must have been directly behind their back garden. Often visited them and never realised.  I suppose the whole area is riddled with mine workings.

I had friends on there too Jill. The Whylds, who owned a filling station on Ilkeston Rd near the Loggerheads pub.

A crowd of us would often play in their garden which ran down to the Leen. Yes, we often fell in ! 

• Like 1

Our friends were Bernard and Jean Hutchinson who lived at, I think, number 7. I remember how quiet it was down there.

Back to the top end of Peveril Street, where it comes out alongside the bank building at Alfreton Road.... 

mGGYRVQ.jpg

• Like 3

Peveril St.was a booming little area ..even in the late 1970's.

Nottms first KFC opposite that bank..Johnathan James..The Windmill..The Alma and The Spread..Skills..Machins..was it the Dilshad Indian?..even the Marquis Of Waterford..not forgetting Scientific & Technical.

• Like 1