Correct me if I'm wrong, but in your link CT, the opening picture shows what looks like the late General Hospital.

Been through those gates many a time, usually as a patient.

Thanks for that CT. Must admit, I have never heard of Harts or the restaurant, but then, I have been away since early 1987. I find all the changes quite frightening.

It was started by Tim Hart who ran a rather upmarket hotel/restaurant, Hambleton Hall at Rutland Water. I’ve never been there but I have been to Harts in Nottingham many times (as a guest thankfully!) It was an excellent place to eat, probably the best in Nottingham since the demise of the Black Boy hotel. I haven’t eaten out in Nottingham in years so I wouldn’t know where to go now.

World Service is good @philmayfield, ‘though we’ve not been there since before Covid.

Not surprised Harts closed down, whenever we dined there the restaurant was quite empty so there wasn’t much atmosphere.  We’ll certainly give the Forest venture a try, if it happens. 

Yes, I’ve been to World Service long ago. I think that was the Services Club restaurant. I never come into Nottingham anymore. It’s just not my scene!  I don’t have any smart clothes. :biggrin:

We used to use the Dorchester just off Sherwood Rise and the Sagar in Sherwood.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, I’ve been to World Service long ago. I think that was the Services Club restaurant. I never come into Nottingham anymore. It’s just not my scene!  I don’t have any smart clothes. :biggrin:

Never heard of the Dorchester in Nottingham, was it as posh as the Park Lane Dorchester?!!
The Sagaar was TERRIBLE when we last frequented the place, then during Covid we ordered a takeaway which was awful, the food was swimming in oil.  It looks closed now, maybe they still do takeaways though.  I certainly haven’t seen the man with the dodgy wig in the supermarkets buying a trolly full of iceberg lettuces lately.  

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

yes !  philmayfield there was a Dorchester near Sherwood Rise I use to work at NHTA on Sherwood Rise there was also an Irish folk club near there,  can't remember the Sagar in Sherwood where about's was it.  

If you come into Nottingham and want a place to eat Cosy Club on Market st is the place to go.  

It is 7 years since the builders wanted to change the Guildhall into a hotel. They are now ready to go.  The central police station and the fire  station are being pulled down and guess what??  they are being replaced with student flats.

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

yes !  philmayfield there was a Dorchester near Sherwood Rise I use to work at NHTA on Sherwood Rise there was also an Irish folk club near there,  can't remember the Sagar in Sherwood where about's was it.  

Opposite the library and the undertaker’s.

• Like 1

The old Central Police Station and Fire station are NOT being demolished.
It's been mis reported somewhere and picked up by others.

The Grade 2 listing remains on both parts, as it still does on the Guildhall.
The City council have had to reduce the sale price to Miller Birch for the whole site as development of the Fire / Police Station area will be more expensive as it will have to take account of the Listing.
Presumably it will still be for students but with far fewer units.

Development of the Guildhall Hotel with the additional tower block behind it stands as was previously approved.

They might as well raze the whole of central Nottingham to the ground and turn it all into student flats. There’s not much left of it now anyway. Why trek into town when it can be delivered to your door. Do people still take pleasure in shopping? Why are there so many dimbos around when everyone goes to university these days?

• Like 1

Nottingham University did some number crunching about students back in 2015. It’s likely that the figures are a lot higher now.

Every student studying and living in Nottingham is worth £10,933 of extra annual economic benefit to the local economy, with international students alone contributing £129.7m to the Nottingham, East Midlands and UK economies through their spending off-campus.

The £129.7m of economic impact created by the University’s international students, supports 2,200 extra jobs in the UK. The £88.5m of fees they bring to the University helps support Nottingham to provide courses in science, medicine and engineering.

Lets get our City Back    Nottingham QUEEN OF THE MIDLANDS  

21 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Why are there so many dimbos around when everyone goes to university these days?

A graduate with a Science degree asks "Why does it work?"

A graduate with an Engineering degree asks " How does it work?"

A graduate with a Business degree asks "How much will it cost and can we make a profit from it?"

A graduate with a Liberal Arts degree asks "Do you want fries with that?"

• Like 1
6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Nowadays university seems to be the equivalent of National Service but without the discipline. Where do you end up with a degree in ‘media studies’ from Bolton?

Courses to study ‘Taylor Swift’ are now being offered in the US.  Our neighbour’s daughter left NGHS with excellent A level results and went off to study ‘History of Art’ in London.   Last I heard she was working in a pub. Unless a kid is exceptionally arty I would think an art related degree is a waste of 3 years and a lot of money.  

Our daughter went to NGHS. She went to Central St. Martins and did an arty degree. She remained in London and worked at ASOS in advertising for some years. She later returned to the sticks and took a masters degree. She now works for the NHS dealing with people with

dietary disorders. I wanted to be a dentist, then an airline pilot but became an accountant and then an engineer and then company chairman. Our son wanted to be an agricultural engineer and is now a lawyer. My wife wanted to be a psychiatric nurse and finished up as a  schoolteacher. Life has many strange twists and turns! 

I wanted to be a psychiatrist. That's after I realised I would never be able to work on the biscuit counter in Woolworth's which was my ambition as a young child. By the time I was a teenager, they'd gone self-service. No consideration, some people.

• Like 1