Ayup gang,

Does anyone remember which secondary school served the Dunkirk area, please?

Hey up Compo. It may have been Cottesmore school on Radford blvd. But I would'nt swear to it.

( Looking at activities pages, I don't rate your chances, unless your'e in to politics).

There was a school right at the bottom of Lenton blvd, where we used to walk to for woodwork, but that may have been just a primary school. I cannot recall any other school in that vicinty. No doubt someone will correct me. 

Thanks Barrie.

M.G.B. I'm sure used to be on Harrow road, but not sure if it's still going. Both my two younger brothers went there after attending Southwold Primary school on Wollaton road, ( next to Raleigh entrance).

Had a quick look on Mr.Google but it looks like a nursery/primary school now. Remeber M.G.B. being a concrete and glass affair. I would have thought it a bit far from Lenton C.T, but then again kids could have been sent anywhere, perhaps even Clifton comp.

I certainly don't recall any of my school  companions coming from Lenton addresses.

18 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Someone told me recently that Bluecoat had taken over what was formerly Clarendon College. Does anyone know whether that's true?

I thought Clarendon had been demolished. May be wrong tho'

Did'nt Bluecoat school start on Beechdale road? Opposite the entrance to Bilborough depot/ Harvey Hadden stadium. Seem to remember all the girls getting on the number 16 on Granby street, ( is that still there? ). Always thought it was a Catholic school. 

Archway Trust, who own / run or whatever, Bluecoat have been given a short lease on the old People's College building on Maid Marian Way for temporary use for their 6th form.

The space that frees up at Bluecoat is being used for start up pupils for the new Free Secondary school being built on the old Clarendon site, should be finished this year.

When the new Clarendon (not called that) building is open, start up pupils will move and Bluecoat get their 6th form space back.

Whether Archway will run the Free School I know not.
Edit,, yes they will be, to be called Bluecoat Trent

I think the plan was to demolish the old Peoples building and redevelop the whole site.
Another Edit, yes to be the "Gateway to the Castle", whatever that is.

Whether all the above is still correct, I also know not, as it was a few years ago when I saw the proposals.

• Like 2

Thanks, Stuart. That makes a bit more sense of it.

@BeekayI think Bluecoat started in a building on Mansfield Road,, opposite the Victoria Centre. It's accessed from a side street (Bluecoat Street?). I presume the building still stands and it's probably listed.

• Upvote 1

Just been reading Bluecoat history, think it was written a while ago,,

The Blue Coat School

This was founded in 1706, but the present building, which stands at the foot of the High Pavement, was erected in 1723, on ground given by Mr Wm. Thorpe, a benevolent attorney. It contains a large school room, and a suite of apartments for the residence of the master, who has 100 guineas a year, and he is allowed six tons of coals annually for the use of the school. Two statues, in niches at the front of the building, represent a boy and a girl in their school costume. The charity educates and clothes sixty boys and twenty girls, till they arrive at fourteen yearsof age, when the former are put out apprentice, with a premium of five guineas each, and the latter have each two guineas for the purpose of clothing them for servitude. Mr and Mrs Cockayne are the teachers, and attend as well to the religious as to the moral instruction of the scholars. The charity, which is supported partly by annual subscriptions and collections at the parish churches, is endowed with property which produces upwards of £380 per annum. A new school is about to be erected, on Mansfield Road, for which ground has been purchased.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just had a look on Google. As usual, I'm well out of my depth. Know bugger me !! The school I was referring to is Trinity Catholic school, on left side, going down Beechdale road, just past Kingsbury drive. Think I was getting mistaken because the girls uniform was/is blue blazers. The ages as far as I knew were up to 18/19, so you can imagine, as an impressionable 19 year old myself I found some of the older girls quite admirable. So, I'm blaming Compo for confusing this doddering old fart.

Cheers everbody and thanks Jill and Stewpot.

• Like 1

There is also Bluecoat Harvey Haddon campus and Bentinck Road junior campus as well as the main campus on Aspley Lane, the latter originally built when Bluecoat Street was vacated. 

Edit. Not very relevant to the original post, but interesting.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Archway Trust, who own / run or whatever, Bluecoat have been given a short lease on the old People's College building on Maid Marian Way for temporary use for their 6th form.

The space that frees up at Bluecoat is being used for start up pupils for the new Free Secondary school being built on the old Clarendon site, should be finished this year.

When the new Clarendon (not called that) building is open, start up pupils will move and Bluecoat get their 6th form space back.

Several of the 11 year old children in our Mapperley Park neighbourhood are expecting to start at the new school being built on the Clarendon College site this September.  The builders need to get a move on!  

This is what happened to Clarendon, no longer fit for purpose, too expensive to heat and to maintain.
So replaced with a new building to be used as a school.

Clarendon moved to a new site in Broad Marsh as part of a merger of most of the Nottingham and surrounds Colleges, now all called Nottingham College.

jxoR0EN.png

• Like 1

Heat?  I don't remember Manning having any heat. Just icicles INSIDE the corridors...and it didn't always have corridors. Originally, when you left a classroom you were outside and at the mercy of the elements.  No one seemed to think it wasn't fit for purpose when I was there... Except me :wacko:

Were you being held at her Majesties pleasure Jill? At least Nuthall Cowsheds where i went we had hot water radiators and the place was temporary for years even took my 11+ there.

7 hours ago, loppylugs said:

What happened to Clarendon college?  Late wife did secretarial training there.

My cousin took a secretarial course there too, 1964-5.