At one time, everybody in Nottingham knew Albert Brown.

Was this youir delayed response to my statement in #2 ?? Albert was always in Yates's or around other bars in town...................supposedly a 'predatory' man I can't recall seeing him in 'company' with anyone in particular

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have posted these before - but here are some early 20th century postcards of the Market Square:

wasn't there a time in the past that nottingham was known as the queen of the midlands, well the bloody crown has slipped a bit, now on me own have had the chance to go to Nottingham, looked up the ol

And to keep the theme going....a fairly close-up view of the Exchange; demolished to make way for the Council House.

First met Albert when I almost fell off a trolley bus,he grabbed my arm to stop me hitting the floor.Never seen a man with makeup on before,quite a shock.

In later years got to know him (to a point) as the character he was.

Hi Paulus, I was referring to the 'piggy and babs' posting three above mine; Babs wrote about Albert Brown styling her hair and it made me remember how back in the 50's / 60's, this character was very much part of the Nottingham scene.

You mention 'Yates' Wine Lodge'; can you remember a very sophisticated bar downstairs? It may have been called 'The Mahogony Room.

Around 1970, I was 18 and on the last 43 bus back to the Meadows from town.

Albert Brown was several rows behind me and complaining to another passenger about

being beaten up, because he was "queer" (Gay meant happy at that time)

Obviously referring to me and my shoulder length hair, I heard him say...

"And look at him, you cant tell if hes a man or a woman?"

There were rumours that he was always being beaten up. I wonder if he happened to know Quentin Crisp because they must have happened around the same time - and there couldn't have been that many of their type on the land.

yes he knew quinten crispamong others but many of the gays he knew wernt out and wanted to keep there sexuality quiet and as he used to say some of them you would not belive were gay or bi sexual . others were very influensial people who would loose a lot if they came out.

hi mudgie

are you sure you wernt one of the guys i would wave bye bye too, usually the guys who would pester us for dates and no matter what you said to them and told them you wernt interested,would not take no for an answer so hence we would arrange to meet them and then wave bye bye to them as i had long dark hair and my friend had long ginger hairit was hard to mistake the pair of us even on the back of a bike. my friend was tall and thinand i was very petite at the time unlike nowstill under five foot tall though.

You mention 'Yates' Wine Lodge'; can you remember a very sophisticated bar downstairs? It may have been called 'The Mahogony Room.

I remember that bar (under another name) being (re?)opened up in the early mid-eighties I think. 'The (??) Bar' as in something like The Mint Bar for example. Was a nice bar.

Entrance was just to the right of the two main doors at the front of the building on Long Row. There was also another separate little bar to the rear of the main building which could be accessed either up a yard from the main pub or alternatively from an alley half way up Market Street.

Denshaw

You are right, he did live in the Meadows. I have a block of houses in my visual memory, but could not put a street to it.

It was 42 years ago!

Thinking back to the days of Albert Brown and Quentin Crisp - 40's, 50's, 60's - and how they were pilloried for their homosexuality, wearing of 'feminine' clothes and make-up; yet in the 80's Boy George flaunted all this and went straight to the top of the charts with: 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?'

Definately a case of answering back:

'Do you really want to hurt me?

Do you really want to make me cry? . . . .

Hi babs, I wasn't one of your stood up dates,but I would still have waved at you. lol

Am I right in saying back in 64/65,the ground floor bar in Yate's had sawdust on the floorboards.

Being 'gay',was illegal when we were all young.I suppose thats why we didn't see many.Albert was more of an institution.

Yates's definitely had sawdust on the floorboards, & possibly spitoons also....................or perhaps that's just my memory running riot...............I wonder where the phrase 'spit & sawdust' originated from, anyone know?

Yates's Wine Lodge had an entrance on Market St', & also an 'offie' where you could buy 'Australian Sweet Mountain White Wine' or something similar, either in bottles or draught, fill your own container from the barrels, I recall wine was also served in 'Schooners' of various sizes..................

ONLY EVER WENT IN YATES A COUPLE OF TIMES WHEN I WAS YOUNG WASENT MUCH FOR GOING INTO THE TOWN CENTRE TO DRINK ONLY WHEN I MET UP WITH MY SISTER JEAN FOR A DRINK ON A FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE GOING OF DOWN THE HART TO BOOGIE. THE ONLY OTHER PUP IN TOWN WE WENT IN ON A TUESDAY NIGHT WAS THE NEW MILTONS HEAD ON PARLIMENT ST THEY HAD A DISCO IN THE BASEMENT. HAD SOME GOOD NIGHTS IN THERE.

• 3 weeks later...

In the 60's my girlfriend was working as a Temp for a solicitor in the Market Square. We used to meet up every lunchtime in the Square and have lunch together in the sunshine. Regarding Albert Brown, I think he only became so renowned was because he was the only overt homosexual person around at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photo RGR but where have all the taxis gone??

Back in the late 50s, South Parade was two way, much wider with a taxi rank (Black Consuls, Zephyrs, Morris Oxfords, Wolseleys and the odd Peugot with cream/white bonnet and boot livery) extending at least half the length of Slab Square and taxis facing towards the Council House. Searched PTP and in 75, taxi rank still in place but taxis facing away from the CH. Now, in RGR photo, only trams.

Do taxi ranks still exist in the town as we used to know them or have they disappeared like so much of the Nottingham of old?

They're off to the left of the shot , around the bottom of St James' Street

Thanks Beefsteak....at least these and other pages are preparing the wife and I for a bloody big culture shock when we pay a visit after an absence (me) of nearly 48 years!

You're right there !!

I've only 'been away' for 13 years, been back at least 4 times a year since and it's different every time I return, so god alone knows what you'll notice (Or recognise for that matter.)

I only live just over the border in D*rbyshire but the changes are evident to me!

Dont forget to let us know when you are coming over Trevor

Nice photo RGR but where have all the taxis gone??

Do taxi ranks still exist in the town as we used to know them or have they disappeared like so much of the Nottingham of old?

The taxis now all live on Wheeler Gate (off to the right), which is one-way coming into the Square

Like this.....http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wheeler+Gate,+Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&hl=en&ll=52.952827,-1.149729&spn=0.001829,0.005053&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=39.320439,82.792969&oq=wheeler+ga&t=h&hnear=Wheeler+Gate,+Nottingham,+United+Kingdom&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.952774,-1.150624&panoid=ICxJA5_UDvOUpGhrElKK4g&cbp=12,136.89,,0,7.21