Nottingham cinemas

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today accompanied by Mrs C we took a nostalgic trip to the old CapitolĀ  cinema on Churchfield Lane. Last visit was in '65 when I took a young lady to see Dr Who & the Daleks. The Capitol as many i

It was the 'Ritz' Margie,.............and i'm gutted you don't remember me.

#211 & 213, katyjay will not remember the very first time she went to the pictures. I took her to the Aspley - she would have been about five. The first thing on screen was the news. When that end

Thanks Stu, that record shows it being demolished in 1965.

I must have watched films there in 63-65, as I came to Nottm in 63.

Another great Nottingham building demolished.

In note the frontage was was exported to California.

Was this a Masonic organization?

It doesn't look like it according to the nice bit of history detailed on the link, Mick.

'The Mechanics' Institution movement was begun nationally by Dr. George Birkbeck in London early in the 19th century for artisans, or mechanics, as they were then called. Many of them were illiterate, and he wanted to provide them with a means of improving their knowledge by classes and lectures, by good libraries of both fiction and the best-available technical books, by music, drama and readings, and by social contacts with a good cross-section of the better-educated section of the community.

http://www.nottingha...our-history.htm

Cheers Stu,

Sounds like something I would have been interested in If I had lived in the day.

The similarity to the Masonic Hall made me think that.

Just found a pic or two of the old Metropole in Sherwood which is a place I went to on a Saturday morning as a kid. Fond memories!

large.jpg?1320255174

Metropole 1937-1973 (demolished 2006)

http://cinematreasur.../theaters/36924

In it's post-cinema latter days:

NTGM003513.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003513&prevUrl=

NTGM003690.jpg

http://www.pictureth...003690&prevUrl=

Wasn't there a cinema called the Forum on Aspley Lane, somewhere near the end of Melbourne Road? I seem to remember mum and dad going there of a Friday night when it looked a better programme than the Aspley Picture House. (No, I wasn't neglected - grandma was at home to look after me!)

Stephen, you're right, there was a cinema on Aspley Lane called the'Forum'.

As kids, our normal choice for Saturday entertainment was the Aspley pictures but sometimes we'd walk through the estate to the 'Forum'. It was also cheaper there: threepence downstairs and sixpence for the luxury of sitting upstairs. Only problem with this, the Broxtowe kids were thought of as rough, so we ended up always having to pay more money and go upstairs simply to avoid them! :unsure:

PS: I saw my first robot at the 'Forum'; pre this, we kids would talk with wonder about the possibility of one day robots taking charge of the land. Imagine our little minds at the Saturday afternoon picture show when confronted with the clockwork beings for the very first time. :ohmy:

Stu, (I'm sure you know by now) the 'Picture House' became Lyons tea room; of interest to me because my grandmother used to take my sister and myself in there.

I recall when first going into the busy cafe, being told by my grandmother to choose anything I liked. The Knickerbocker Glories displayed on the shelf looked fantastic in their tall, glasses, layer upon layer of colourful temptation; of course I wanted one. "They're a bit too much money, choose something else", grandma told me. I remember feeling awfully let down at the cup of tea and scone; no fit replacement for such an enticing cornucopia! :ohmy:

The days when cinema-building went a bit OTT

mech.jpg

Memories.............Fifteen years old and arranged to meet girl from school (Anne) at the bottom of those very steps on our first and last date. Went to that Cinema and afterwards hot dogs at the barrow that used to be on the footpath nearby. Then home...can't remember whether I walked her to her bus or not. Very awkward days of youth. You live and learn!!!

Stu, (I'm sure you know by now) the 'Picture House' became Lyons tea room;

Thanks Jackson, I wondered if it was. I was taken i the myself then as a youngster. Don't remember too much about it apart from that I think the room went a long way back and was perhaps on two levels?

I remember the Lyons place as well from when I was a kid.

Stu, I agree, it was a fairly narrow place which went a long way back, and was on several levels. You went in at ground level and then went up a couple of flights of steps which were like terraces in a garden. The serving area where you got your food and drink was right up at the top at the back. Then you had to come back to the front half of the building to sit down and eat.