What was your Co-op Divi number?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember I was a patient at the Children's Hospital and the Doctor said I could go home and did I know my Mum's telephone number. No I said but I know her Co op number it's 92092

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter! I remembe

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the containe

Posted Images

Southwell, as mentioned in the post mate. My partner gets loads of bargains this way in the Wollaton (Russell Drive) shop too. Some incredible savings if you're smart about it.

Chilwell had 4 Co-op stores:

• High Road Chilwell (next to the Hop Pole) as mentioned above, the building still exists but is has not been a Co-op for many years.
  • Bramcote Avenue opposite the top of Park Road, building demolished, 6 houses on the site.
  • Corner of Bramcote Avenue and Cator Lane, again, building still there but not as a Co-op.
  • Depot Corner, recently a Kennelgate but currently vacant.

The 4 Chilwell sites were Long Eaton Co-ops.

• Beeston High Road branch was a Nottingham Co-op. Building demolished & redeveloped.
  • Chilwell Road Beeston opposite Foster Avenue - demolished, now Wilkinsons store site (for the time being)

Strange that most of us have a divvi number etched on our brains. Don't want to divulge me Mam's in case I want to use it as a memorable number in a password, etc. but as with other posters, remember me Mam quoting it weekly to the milkman.

I do remember the 'big' Coop on Parliament Street having lifts worked by attendants who used to pull a lever back and forth and announce what was on each floor (like 'are you being served' opening credits). They were phased out of course to reduce costs. The toys were on the top floor and at Christmas they had the best (and free) Santa in town. They also had a 'bargain basement' which was actually in the basement!

Used to be 5862 then they added 20 as a prefix so then had to remember 205862 when we went to the coop at the junction of Coningswath and Cavendish Roads where J G Rolls was (is?)

My father had the Shell garage in Wollaton Vale, right next to the Hemlockstone Pub, in the early 60s. He built it in anticipation of Wollaton Vale being extended out to link up eventually with the M1. In those days, Wollaton Vale effectively ended at Arleston Drive. Sadly the extension plans were apparently put on hold for whatever reason for some time.

Association with this thread??? He sold the garage to the Co-op in early 63 and I stayed on working there for a few months.

Surprising the number of people who came in for petrol and didn't have or bother with the Divi number. Even more surprising that the Co-op never twigged that our family bought a lot of petrol from that garage.

It was, I think, the second petrol station that the Co-op then owned in Notts.

Anybody out there that remembers that service station?

Yes mick, there was a Co-op in Beeston.

I cannot remember my mum's Co-op number, so I feel really cheated in life; especially as I used to go and collect her divi for her from the uppermost floor of the Co-op, Parliament Street; I remember catching the lift up there and the huge, lift attendant in his splendid uniform calling out the different floor levels as we made our way to the top.

So yes, I feel really cheated that I cannot for the life of me remember my mum's Co-op number.

I can't believe you can't remember your mum's number, I thought it was dinged into all our brains as kids, going up to the top shops Co-op with our mum's shopping list in hand. They always asked for the divi number.

Anybody out there that remembers that service station?

Hi Trevor S,

I do recall the service station in Co-op ownership. It had a showroom on the right of the plot and I think it had some lock-up garages at the back of the site.

From around 1970-ish the Co-op divi was replaced by Co-op blue stamps to compete with Green Shield stamps and Sperry & Hutchinson 'S&H pink stamps'.

The Co-op sold the site in the mid 1980's and it was redeveloped for/by Q8 Petroleum (Q8 belonged to Kuwait) together with a car wash..

The site has changed ownership and is a 24 hour Spar shop with Total fuels.

A health centre/doctors surgery stands on the site to the right.

Hi Trevor S,

I do recall the service station in Co-op ownership. It had a showroom on the right of the plot and I think it had some lock-up garages at the back of the site.

From around 1970-ish the Co-op divi was replaced by Co-op blue stamps to compete with Green Shield stamps and Sperry & Hutchinson 'S&H pink stamps'.

The Co-op sold the site in the mid 1980's and it was redeveloped for/by Q8 Petroleum (Q8 belonged to Kuwait) together with a car wash..

The site has changed ownership and is a 24 hour Spar shop with Total fuels.

A health centre/doctors surgery stands on the site to the right.

Thanks Littlebro. When we sold it in 63, the lock up garages were incomplete with no roofs or doors, the lube bay was being fitted out and the wash bay at the pub end was not in use.

Off thread, what's with the photo of the Mustang??? Do you have one?

Kath, I probably cannot remember my mum's Co-op divi number because I was probably bored at having to do so many errands for my mum and others on the 'Circus'. If something's 'boring' in life I tend to forget about it! At least being an 'errand girl' - although I didn't have much choice - earned me some decent money; a Capitalist at such a young age!

Off thread, what's with the photo of the Mustang??? Do you have one?

I wish.

I do not really rate USA motors, they have image but little style. The Mustang is IMO an exception.

It is in my bucket list to tour the west coast of the USA. I have been there twice but hired family vehicles. I would love to go there again with an iconic car such as the Mustang.

I hired a convertible Mustang for the week while I was staying in Vancouver once. I don't think they have the capabilities of comparable European or Japanese cars but it was nevertheless great fun. Lovely sound too!

newtitel.jpg

Kath, I probably cannot remember my mum's Co-op divi number because I was probably bored at having to do so many errands for my mum and others on the 'Circus'. If something's 'boring' in life I tend to forget about it! At least being an 'errand girl' - although I didn't have much choice - earned me some decent money; a Capitalist at such a young age!

I forgot you did shopping for several folks, who most likely all gave you their divi number!

A friend rented a Mustang in California when I first visited in 1995.

Having owned a Mustang T shirt bought at Santa Pod in 1970,

I was dissapointed, as it was like a tin box on wheels.

Very thin metal. Perhaps recent models are an improvement.

Dunno what the 60s models were like?

Nowt like the "LeBaron" we hired in Fla '94

not that this is it !

6963671333_7d68acbd22_b.jpg