no, sorry no more of that area maps but you (and anyone else) can run off photocopies of anywhere in nottingham at 26" to mile scale (as enclosed) for whatever machine costs, last time I went I think 10p at top floor of angel row library, only restriction is maps have to be 25 year old or more. Anyway here is a puzzle! What does the 1915 date refer to on enclosed map? daybrookstation.jpg

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Managed to buy 4 plates in '68 from a schoolmaster friend who had acquired 20 (!) from Derby Works for their brass weight. Paid £70 for Malay States, Queensland, Hood & North Borneo. Idiot that

Hopefully this will be a picture of the last northbound steam special, perhaps some of you recognise yourselves The last southbound York-Bournemouth is the train on the left.

A topic about old Nottm railway stations might interest a few of the train buffs on here !   http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/lost-railway-stations-nottingham-220673

Thank you Ashley......can remember playin on the rope hauled wagons up to the mapperley coal whalf (thick ears if caught)...pitmen could run in wellies!!!!!...lol

just a quick thought and i know its off topic abit...but this pile of god knows what thats been dumped down the airshaft...i`d say a good 30 ton of it....surely its illegal(flytipping)....theres a stream runs through the middle of the tunnel and this craps on top of it.....pollution risk?.. i think so having seen a number of car batterys etc amonst this pile....But surely someone at the scout hut would have known something, its not as if it was a one off dump must have taken a few trips and some time....if they did would this make them accountable for such actions????

Re the map, yes the date is the obvious answer, but as I said 3rd line bottom left far as I know only added in 1930's? and no council estate there 1915, maybe bit like pc message "copyright 2000 etc"I get when valves warming up or whatever! when bought new in 2003? Tell you what to say Daybrook was "backwater station" in later years there was some track and buildings etc there? actually when built it was on GNR mainline and in 1900, 25 years after built, 216 trains a day (24 hours) went along that route! and we thought we did well trainspotting!

These dumped batteries in pile of crap up the tunnel? do any look any good? always on the lookout for any freebie bargains , oy vey :biggrin:

they best get "BoB-A-Jobbing" to pay for the clear up once the environment people have been a visiting......

ube, How far did you walk in? what's confusing me is the pepper pot (scouts land gedling side of mapperley plains) looks to be still intact "chimney"? can't see how rubbish got down it? they'd have to take rubbish up 12? ft to drop it down? last time I saw gedling end one was about 10 years ago, then still intact. no idea when squash club one went? always assumed demolished when squash club built?

A few other items of interest, most know of the old valley rd GCR bridge being replaced? but I only found out recently via "picture the past" photos that the perry road bridge on same line we all knew wasn't the original one, ditto the arnold rd bridge over the GNR Leen valley route, also that GNR mainlines from around there to daybrook had goods line added making route 3 tracks with edwards lane bridge having to be widened. knew likes of ilkeston rd bridge at radford and wilford rd bridge being altered but these were for road widening. Anyone any other info on post building alterations to lines, bridges etc? (after GCR and NSR built) or remember where line to Hucknall no.1 pit crossed hucknall rd near 44 bus terminus?

As far as I can recall, the railway spur that fed Hucknall No. 1 (Top pit) was linked to the line from Bulwell Common Station and as such crossed Hucknall Lane over the viaduct near Bulwell Lido.

Don't know about that route, I remember the viaduct and main line going at the back of a school then crossing access road to the golf courseoff lawton drive , route of such can still be seen there back of bulwell hall estate and from Hucknall bypass, The line I meant I assume came off the Midland and crossed Hucknall Lane on a crossing somewhere just north of the forest pub (swinger), I had wondered if the footpath that runs behind the the houses through to Shortwood Avenue area of Hucknall was the route? but a bloke I worked for told me it went more towards hucknall through the houses at side of road and route could be seen by later built house on such being different to rest, but I've never found it! At some point it must have gone under the GCR? ( or rather the GCR built over it) and I wonder if the substantial bridge/almost tunnel now demolished that the footpath used was that pit lines route?

Yes...I also think it came off the Midland somewhere near to the Bone Mill/NCT 44 terminus...close to the scene of the recent crossing tragedy - crossed Hucknall Lane, went beneath the GC embankment and passed over Farley's Lane. Shortwood Avenue was not built until the early 60's (my ex lived there, from 'newly built') so logically could have run on that site, or perhaps slightly westward thereof...

My 1921 OS map is currently out on loan; I'll have a look if/when it is returned!

Cheers

Robt P.

never envisaged it crossing farleys lane!, thought it would be more towards where the stream (Leen?) was, re Shortwood Ave etc, My mother bought one of those houses on there brand new about £2000! uncle did similar with semi bungalow on farleys lane think 1963ish? hence interest

The path which runs/ran on beyond the bottom of Shortwood Avenue and eventually parallels the GC embankment (have walked it several times) is still named 'Farley's' on maps. Should have made it clearer that I meant the crossing would have been on this section - westward of Shortwood Avenue.

Cheers

Robt P.

The new railway time table for 2009 has omitted Newark Northgate station, the printers say they are not going to reprint the time table to include Newark Northgate and travelers will have to check train times on line, could this be the thin end of the wedge for the time tables demise, if all works out ok what's to stop the powers that be telling every one to check on line and get rid of the time table forever?

Rog

Ayup Rob

Dunno if it's included in the Aberdeen one, just heard it on Lincs FM, caused a bit of a stink.

I always thought most time tables should come under the heading of Fiction anyway, I think the

publishers and rail company have a bit of a nerve telling folk to check on the internet about rail times etc from and to Newark because of their error, I tried the other day to find times and prices from Newark to Edinburgh and gave up in the end because i was completely lost on the websites, might drive up instead

Rog

Perhaps I should have mentioned firbeck!!

Rog,

In my experiencce the 'best of a bad bunch' for booking an online rail ticket is Virgin...all options, with types of fare is set out clearly. The former GNER site was lamentable. Reckon Virgin can issue any nominated ticket, even for other operators....might be wrong now, a while since I used them!

Cheers

Robt P.

Ashley, perhaps the topic's run out of steam? ;)

yes, lets get stoking, had a walk down to where the cotgrave pit line branches off the old GNR line to Grantham at Radcliffe, horrible concrete viaduct but theres a triangle junction there too, I wonder IF as some have envisaged the old MR Melton route reopened thet could join up here? would have hell of a job rebuilding original route through west bridgford etc!

Flippin 'eck - I was just goin on about that mapperley tunnel to some work mates the other day. I used to play down there as a kid, at the east portal, in the mid 80's. I never knew where it came out on the north end - now I do!

I'm sure you lot know this site already but I found it great to overlay a modern map onto an old 1920's map of the area, you can really pinpoint old railway lines and where they used to be. Check it out:

http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html

Just zoom into notts and away you go

jonjo...welcome, and thanks for the excellent map link.

Re the earlier Hucknall No 1 discussion, with Ashton:

Map confirms that the spur began from the GN (!), north of where it crossed the LM and headed south to cross the A611 nearer to the Forest Hotel than we thought! All much of a surprise to me...

Also, there was a stub to Broomhill (from Shortwood) which would account for tracks around upper Farleys Lane.

Cheers

Robt P.

Yes did indeed come off the GNR, you used to be able to get through allotments to where it would have branched off? and with (one assumes later?) connection to the GCR, looks near as I can make the first bit of Hucknall Bypass follows the route, I know British Rail "donated" some routes back to local councils following Beeching closures etc, I wonder if GNR retained earlier closed lines ownership and such passed to BR as parts of M1, Western Boulevard, and now this road built on former GNR/pit lines, I've also heard something similar on the cards for near Mapperley Tunnel with Boys Scouts losing part of their land