• 2 weeks later...

I had quite a funny experience in there fairly recently...

"The elements were not yet finished with the Friday night revellers however and it was a quick dash for cover into what used to be called The Spread Eagle on Goldsmith Street. (No, I don’t care what it’s called now - it’s the Spread Eagle - okay?) There were signs of life though the other bar which confused. Finally they came.. It was Cee Threepio, followed by Darth Vadar and other indeterminate figures. They tripped past us and lumbered down the front steps onto the wet Goldsmith Street pavement. So began the pub closing time war to end all wars - Cee Threepio versus Darth Vadar! Darth got an early (rather slow-motion I thought), blow in with his light sabre as Cee Threepio was clearly not at his best after a few pints of Stella. Help was at hand for his wooden posturings however, as he certainly was taking a bit of a pasting from Darth. Suddenly a late night drinker came past and grabbed Darth in a headlock from behind. Game over."

Nottingham Nights

During the time that I ran "The Tivoli" on the corner (Next door) I was often to be found in there propped against the bar having a quick one with the landlord (Gary I think) during quiet periods of an afternoon. The next day it was his turn to join me !!

Always liked the Spread Eagle, it's another one that's been revamped in the name of progress and attracting a younger crowd. Which one is it now - The Speak Easy?

• 8 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I went to evening classes in the Technical College in the early 60s our lecture room overlooking the Spread. In winter the rule was if it was getting foggy and we can't see the lights of the Spread we went home early.

Via the Spread of course.

It only happened once in 2 years

The thread started about the place on Goldsmith Street but so far there haven't been any photos. The place has changed so many times, PTP is full of them.

This is 1980s when it's called Spread Eagle...............and mid-90s when it's called the Goldsmith Pitcher.

aMwKZYN.jpg

Then 1998 when it was the Horn in Hand......and now as it is today.

jNPfwwn.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

What an abomination! I remember The Spread Eagle from my tech. college days. Didn't like it very much (I preferred the Guildhall Tavern) but that doesn't alter the fact that these places should be treated with respect and not have these completely out of character modern buildings stuck amongst them. What do the masons next door say to this?

I used the Guildhall Tavern and the Spread Eagle for a pint and a sandwich when I was working in the city. The Spread Eagle had a large trestle table groaning with a large assortment of sandwiches. Hygiene regulations wouldn’t allow such a thing nowadays but I never saw anyone die from it. You wouldn’t even dare have a pint of beer at lunchtime if you were working now!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

You wouldn’t even dare have a pint of beer at lunchtime if you were working now!

Certainly wouldn't. I remember when I was working at Woollies, most lunchtimes we'd nip up to the Sal and have a couple of pints and lovely crusty cheese and onion cobs. It wasn't frowned upon, except perhaps by the odd customer who got a bit too close during the afternoon.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The new building is obviously going to blend in well with the surroundings.

9Qw6FwR.jpg

Ironically the building which is not sympathetic to the surroundings is actually the Horn in Hand. It sticks out like a sore thumb on Goldsmith St.

4 hours ago, jonab said:

What an abomination! I remember The Spread Eagle from my tech. college days. Didn't like it very much (I preferred the Guildhall Tavern) but that doesn't alter the fact that these places should be treated with respect and not have these completely out of character modern buildings stuck amongst them. What do the masons next door say to this?

Apparently, there were no objections to the proposal. You probably wouldn't be aware jonab, the site had been derelict for some years after the previous building burnt down. It is indeed owned by Nottingham Trent but will be used for educational purposes, not student accomodation.

• Upvote 2

I didn't know the next door building had been derelict. Shameful that reparations weren't done sooner, it always conveys a 'don't care' impression.

I can't remember what used to be there in my time (1979 - 80ish).