What was in YOUR sandwich?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can understand anyone who has never had a life threatening illness not wanting to spend money experimenting on what may or may not be a waste of money, but there are some of us out there who are liv

My Cholesterol is within safe limits without statins ! 

For those of you who don't like the taste of Benecol, it is a matter of personal taste because I do like it, otherwise I would not buy it. For instance, as for expense, compared to a bottle of wine or

I've been reading the posts on this topic and can't believe how fortunate you all were. I could envisage, as a child, peering through the window as I levered myself up the window sill and watching you all eating your food. I'd lick my lips and realise that if I wanted food then I'd have to go to the park. There, I'd compete with the pigeons for the scraps that were thrown down by bird lovers. I'm sat at my computer with tears rolling down my cheeks as I read Compo's post (#122) about him losing his legs. I had a younger brother, aged three, who disappeared one Bonfire Night and was neve found. I remember that we had stew for a whole week at the time. It was the first time we'd had meat. Yes, times were very hard as a kid in the Meadows.

Anyways, did anyone mention Sausage Sarnies?

In the early 70s probably around 1970, Nottingham Coop took over the Boston and Skegness Cooperative societies, to become Greater Nottingham Cooperative Society (GNCS)

Boston had their own recipe for 'Boston Sausage' so it started to be sold in all Nottingham Coops.

I think it might have been quite spicy with herbs? There was also a Tomato Sausage with tinned tomatoes added to the mix.

Anyone remember these and can you still get them?

Ah, but not for long after eating Compo's legs !

Me mam ate me dad, & me gran ate me mam while she was 'evily pregnant wi' me...................so I never got born....................now that's real poverty foh yer!!

Monty Python has a LOT to answer for!

Nobody to mention the wet paper bag we lived in.........................................it were torn anall..........................

:biggrin: AAAAAhhhhhh, come on now Paulus me thinks you're telling porky pies; I know for a fact that you weren't brought up on Nottingham's mean streets but on la creme de la creme of Housing Estates: Aspley Lane (Aspley Estate). :biggrin:

:biggrin: AAAAAhhhhhh, come on now Paulus me thinks you're telling porky pies; I know for a fact that you weren't brought up on Nottingham's mean streets but on la creme de la creme of Housing Estates: Aspley Lane (Aspley Estate). :biggrin:

Yikes!!................methinks I've bin' undone!!.................yes I admit to having my own estate, known as Aspley (or Aspleh) dependant on where you lived..........nevermore will I be able to present myself as poor...................or even working class!! only the landed gentry resided on Aspley Lane.............but I was born on Minver Crescent, from humble beginnings!!............ :laugh:

Speaking of Lincolnshire sausages, we are going out for dinner tonight and I know we're having bangers and mash, and they will be homemade Lincolnshire sausages. The latest Brits to move to our town have a B&B and he makes his own sausages for breakfast. [The couple came from Bourne, Lincs]

:) Katyjay, there was a 'Sausage Maker' on the TV last night: fascinating the way they feed the sausage meat into the (what looks like) plastic covering! :)

PS: Quite an Art, Sausage Making: there was a Court Photographer, name of Norman Parkinson who used to clear off to his West Indian retreat during the 60's, to work on the perfect recipe for making sausages. Can you just imagine: big, fat, sausages sizzling in the sun. :biggrin:

Anyway, Norman's Sausages were very popular at one time.

PS: Hope I'm not banned from 'Nottstalgia' (no indecency intended). :ohmy:

I mentioned elsewhere in a recently revived topic, all about Pork Farms tomato sausage .

Our local 'tommy sos' to me isn't that bad. Made by John Moores and son , it used to be sold in their two shops , but (unfortunately) they were bought out by our ethnic freinds and of course pork is a no no !! They still make them and sell them through their old shops as "Beef and Tomato" but don't tell any body though !

They were that nice , that when we we still courting, and I was working abroad, that I got SWMBO bring a couple of pound out to me every time she visited.

Just about every sausage in the book available here in oz, and 99% are crap ! sausage rolls are even worse !

Found a gourmet butchers, run by an old pommy bloke and believe it or not he learnt his trade at Pork Farms in Nottm,, he does old english cumberland porkers, and they are good !

Even saw some lamb kofta sausage there other day.

Had a mate who had his own butchers shop in old basford, used to make his own sausages, one day he got raided by the gestapo (ministry) re the beef content of such, was a bit worried for awhile as all sorts went in them, all the left over crap, sawdust mice etc (ok maybe not that extreme but you get the idea) as it was they passed whatever test they did lol

:) A double on Aspley Lane - WOW!! The same as my grandma - she had a piano too (in the lounge).

You didn't happen to live across the road from the 'Forum' cinema did you? :)

Yes Jackson, 458 Aspley lane, first house on the green, big side garden. There was a garage opposite us, next door to the Forum, it's long gone with Aspley Medical Centre where it stood;

458:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl