Hi Y'all.

Haven't posted a lot lately time seems to run out on me but today time stopped.

I had to have my best friend "Solomon" the Black Lab in my profile pic put to sleep. He had developed a cough and X rays showed cancer through his lungs and spread into his abdomen. He had been groaning sometimes just lately and did not want to walk so much but we just put it down to old age. I complain and don't want to walk so much either.

I had to make the choice. To have kept him around longer would only have been more torment for him and it certainly did not make me happy seeing this once healthy and strong dog so much in pain. I know he is better off now but the next few days will be rough. Those of you who are dog owners will know the feelings. I have now owned three dogs during the last thirty five years and Solly was the best although each were unique characters.

I would like another Black or Golden Lab but may have to pass on that as I am mid 60s and a strong and boisterous young Lab might be more than I could handle.

Thanks for reading my sad ramblings. I know things will pick up again in a few days.

Solomon December 11 1998 - July 9 2010. Best buddy a man could wish for.

So sorry to hear about your dog, Loppylugs, I know how you feel, it's like losing a member of the family. Dogs are around you more than your kids are. Like PB suggests, go to the dog pound and find a dog a couple of years old, or a Lab rescue would love one of their dogs to go to a good home like you gave Solomon.

Kath

So Sorry Loppy, Losing such a good friend.

Dont let your age hold you back on a rescue dog.

and it will help heal the pain a little.

Hi Loppylugs,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your best pal, I think you did right as its not fair to keep them in pain.

My two old Gals are 11 and starting to slow down and have problems and I am dreading the day when I lose them. I am 63 and like you coudnt manage a young dog now as I struggle to walk myself at times but perhaps an old dog in the pound who needs a bit of love and attention maybe worth a try !!

I cant really imagine life without dogs, I have always had them and love them all to bits.

Owdtite.

I'm so sorry to hear of you losing your doggy. That's very sad. I'm glad you felt able to share and I hope that you will remember only good things about Solly - I'm sure you will.

Take care of yourself.

Stu

Yes , I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Remember you have the pictures and cherish all the happy memories.

Thank you to each and every one who took the time to respond.

I will be giving thought to your suggestions in the days ahead. We may make a trip or two before we make any decision. I always hate leaving my dog in the kennel when we go away. Makes me feel like I'm stabbing my best buddy in the back. I don't want to make a hasty decision. It would be easy to go over to the pound and come home with another dog today. It is a 10 to 15 year commitment not to be made in a hurry.

I buried Sol in a shady spot at the back of our garden. Had to dig at 6:30 in the morning as it is too hot here by 9 a.m. Anyway he always liked to pee there so I thought it might meet his approval. It will always be a special place. Built it up and planted some Chrysanthemums there this morning. The house seems so empty. Even though he spent many of his recent days just sleeping, he would always show up at meal times. Never lost his appetite until the last day or so.

Thanks again guys.

So sorry for your loss Loppy, my neighbours lost their Alsation to cancer a few weeks ago and it seems so strange not seeing him around anymore, he waas a huge old boy but a wonderfuly natured dog he would always come to me for a fuss and a cuddle whenever he was in their yard they scattered his ashes in the Derbyshirs hills as that was his favourite place whenever they took him out

I am sorry to hear your loss Loppylugs.

I have suffered the same loss before some years ago.

It makes me appreciate the time I spend with my dogs.

I do hope that you give a second chance to another

friend who is in need a good home, and caring owner.

Loppylugs - I was so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend.

Have you thought of homing a rescued greyhound?

We`ve had three of these over the years and now wouldn`t have any other breed.

They`re gentle, come beautifully trained and are real couch potatoes!

They only need a couple of 20 minute walks a day.

The Retired Greyhound Trust would give you further info.

but you`ll need grieving time first.

LL

You may recall my grief and anguish 18 months ago when our Springer died, then a few months ago when we had to say goodbye to our lovely Percheron horse.

I feel for you, I really do, I'm sure that nothing I can say will help, only that I understand what you are going through at this time.

Quite frankly, don't rush into getting another dog, it took us over a year to handle doing that, yes we took on a rescue dog from the RSPCA, which makes you think about HIS welfare more than anything else, a love, but hard work all at the same time.

He's a Jack Russell, has turned out to be everyones pal including with our old boy Scooby, and a dear friend to all.

He'll never be another Meggy, but then, she could never be another Jerry, it works both ways, both were/are fantastic characters.

All the best and my sympathy, Meg resides under the plum tree next to our pond, I cast a little head stone for her myself, she will always remain dear to us.

Thanks for your concern, Firbeck.

You are right in what you say. We shall take some time before we get another dog, but we do intend to do so. Some years ago my wife bought me a cushion embroidered with the words, "A house is not a home without a dog." So true. We both miss him really badly but realize that there will never be another "Solly." As I used to say to him while rubbing his long ears, "They don't make 'em like this anymore. They stopped with the '98's". He lapped it up. The tears are not quite so close now. I know that I did the right thing in not letting him suffer anymore. I would do the same again.

Your concern is a real blessing. Thanks.

Dave

Beyond The Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,

I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free

Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side

Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!

And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see

Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new

And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright

That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.

'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold

And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,

We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart

If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

cg - 1995

God Bless.................