• 2 weeks later...

One of the ladys said fifty bob i said i just want to use it not buy it.

Anyway that was a weeks wages as a apprentice so out of my financial range at that time ,Not that i have ever paid for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

The Tower pub - I used to catch the bus from the University to Slab Square in the 1960s, walk down to Broadmarsh and catch the bus to West Bridgford to my digs. Occasionally I would pop in to the Tower for a half, as the bus to the far end of Bridgford didn't run that often, and I didn't fancy the long walk from Trent Bridge, so preferred to bide my time with a half. I would have been approached by at least two or three ladies of the night before even getting to the pub, but once in the pub, you would be approached by various "ladies".  I was over 18, but looked young for my age, and mostly they were having a laugh.  Occasionally they would even buy me a drink, so I must have looked needy.  The pub interior was spectacular, and makes me wish I'd taken a picture (mind you if you had you would have been thrown out).  I remember it vividly - the whole pub, including the bar, was covered in white tiles, like a toilet.  One of the regulars told me that was because it made it easier to wipe the blood away after one of the regular skirmishes. Nottingham in those days was, like Manchester where I was from, full of working class character. Both towns have been ruined since, whatever the planning ponces say.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to The Tower - pub