Anyone watching the Ashes?

Lunchtime on the first morning of the first test England are 3 for 124 on a magnificent day at Egbaston, Birmingham.

England were building an innings on what looks like a very placid pitch. Crawley just out on lunch for 61

What have the England selectors done with the bowling attack? Two geriatric fast bowlers, no place for Wood and for goodness sake Moeen Ali? Can't bat or bowl at this level. I assume Broad is in there given the success he has had against Warner, I cannot see any other reason to pick him over Wood.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nottstalgia's team to beat the Aussies,,     Carni. Great solid opener,who can sing,, Sue B can be relied on in a crisis Jill. Will punish,anything out of line,, Nonna. R

I think the problem with cricket is that, as far as I'm aware, it's only played at Public Schools now so the majority of kids are not exposed to it, even television coverage is on Sky rather than BBC,

Stokes did not come up with the runs, neither did Bairstow but Harry Brooks's 75 steered the ship home to keep the series alive. Did anyone notice the rainbow stripes at the bottom of the stumps. WTF

Isn't anyone on here interested in the Ashes???

Broad has got Warner again and then next ball had Labuschagne caught for a golden duck. If they can get Steve Smith out cheaply and then Travis Head they will be well on their way

20 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

Isn't anyone on here interested in the Ashes???

I usually watch the 1 hr highlights programme on BBC2 in the evening. I'd watch more if it was on free telly during the day.

Yes Oz, I’m watching it, a great start for England.    At the same time we’ve got the kitchen TV on and I’m watching the Trooping of the Colour at the same time.  Oh what a busy morning! 

It is fair to say that cricket was the winner in the first tests thriller near the Villa.

After waking at 1:30am I put the radio on just to check the score, fully expecting a draw and heard that Australia needed some 60 runs to win and England 2 wickets. Enthralled I listened to the end where either team could have won and the Aussies scraped home to win by 2 wickets. I wonder if Ben Stokes is ruing his decision to declare? I hope not as it prepared the path for a wonderful game of cricket. Now looking forward to the 2nd test at Lords, hope the weather remains kind.

Anyone going to see the women's test at Trent Bridge?

• Like 1

Your right what a cracking end to the first day of the Ashers. I  was sitting on the edge of my seat, Come on England  !!!

Australia win the women's test by 89 runs and gain 4 points in the series for the Ashes.

Australian off-spinner Ash Gardner takes 8 wickets. England were well in it being behind by only 10 runs after the first innings. However late on the 3rd day they lapsed into collapso cricket mode and were all out before lunch on the last day.

Kudos to the ground staff for preparing a wicket that gave both sides a chance.

Back to the men's game on Wednesday at Lords. 

Come on you Poms get your act together and not give your wickets away trying to play "bazzball" whatever that is supposed to be. If they go two down it will be bye-bye the Ashes.

To paraphrase the late great John Arlott "It is not a bright sunny day here at Lords. England have won the toss and elected to bowl"

Broad and Anderson have opened the bowling. I hope Broad gets Warner cheaply, as usual, on a slightly green wicket which should help the seamers.

Good first test.....almost re-kindled my love of the game........i know i'm in the minority but i grew up thinking to bat-out the last day of a test and save the match was terrific..........

Going in to bat knowing you had no hope of a win....meant bat the day out with a good defence......and so draw the game........from school days up to nearly 50 my best batting achievement was 59 not out batted all afternoon and made a draw out of what seemed a lost cause.....felt even better than a win...lol...........The match was played at highfields and i was playing for ABGibsons Peterborough v. ABGibsons Nottingham..........Most of the players wanted the game over and done with.. and go for a Pint or back to  Peterborough including the EX wife...:crazy:...she didnt go to another game of Cricket with me..........it even got a mention at our 'Divorce'':biggrin:

My problem was i grew up being a great Fan of 'Trevor Bailey'''....you older Cricket fans will know what i mean......

PS.........I was never popular with my team mates in Peterborough ..so much so when we played mid-week 20 over games  i was always number eleven when it came to the batting line-up.......

• Like 2

There used to be a ‘Thursday afternoon cricket league’ for people such as shop workers who had Thursday afternoons off. I recollect them using the playing field on Thackeray’s Lane that backed onto our garden when we lived on Park Rd. In Woodthorpe.

16 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Good first test.....almost re-kindled my love of the game........i know i'm in the minority but i grew up thinking to bat-out the last day of a test and save the match was terrific..........

Going in to bat knowing you had no hope of a win....meant bat the day out with a good defence......and so draw the game........from school days up to nearly 50 my best batting achievement was 59 not out batted all afternoon and made a draw out of what seemed a lost cause.....felt even better than a win...lol...........The match was played at highfields and i was playing for ABGibsons Peterborough v. ABGibsons Nottingham..........Most of the players wanted the game over and done with.. and go for a Pint or back to  Peterborough including the EX wife...:crazy:...she didnt go to another game of Cricket with me..........it even got a mention at our 'Divorce'':biggrin:

My problem was i grew up being a great Fan of 'Trevor Bailey'''....you older Cricket fans will know what i mean......

PS.........I was never popular with my team mates in Peterborough ..so much so when we played mid-week 20 over games  i was always number eleven when it came to the batting line-up.......

Morning  Ben   oh! if only we could turn back the years!  Each Sunday in summer (days gone by) we would go down to Proctors pleasure park in Leics. I was lucky has dad and mum had a car, also my aunt and uncle had a car, so off we all went for a picnic, but most important we had dads cricket bat in the boot. The bat had come back from Aus when he had served over there in WW2. Well when we arrived stumps set up getting ready to play if any body was watching then dad invited them to play, soon we had two good sides. At the time their was not a mention of any ladies playing cricket (Good God man ladies don't play Criicket) I would have loved to have been in a ladies team. Now a few years later too old/ or mabe not flexible enough.     ps  At the time dad had trials to play for Nottinghamshire and he passed, but due to what poor pay cricket players received he could not accept the offer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I played cricket when I was a kid, mainly because there were no other girls to play with on the new estate we lived on but apart from that I’ve always loved the game, spending many hours with my Dad at Trent Bridge. Dad also kept wicket for (I think) Gedling Miners Welfare.  The only time I’ve ever been to Blackpool was as a tiny baby when my Dad was playing cricket there! In fact I have lots of cricketing tales to tell and names to drop but won’t do that on an open forum!  

On 6/29/2023 at 2:04 PM, mary1947 said:

At the time their was not a mention of any ladies playing cricket (Good God man ladies don't play Criicket) I would have loved to have been in a ladies team.

My wife had two aunts whom I think played for Notts Ladies in the 1950s so they certainly had a team then. I am sure one was a wicketkeeper.

England seem intent on committing batting suicide by citing "bazzball" for continuing to throw the bat at almost anything.

I can't see them getting within coo-ee of Australia by playing this stupid type of cricket in a test match. Australia will be two up by the and of this test and very likely the ashes will be theirs again.

Is Stokes a failure as a captain with his "bazzball" approach?

3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

England seem intent on committing batting suicide by citing "bazzball" for continuing to throw the bat at almost anything.

I can't see them getting within coo-ee of Australia by playing this stupid type of cricket in a test match.

We Need Trevor Bailey.and..Geoff Boycott....oh yes and me......:biggrin:

• Like 1

Unfortunately State school playing fields have been used for housing in the past few years but cricket is still played in Independent schools.  Our 10 year old granddaughter is in her school team and has played in a couple of inter-school matches this term.  

Mens Test - Barring someone actually playing cricket and not throwing their wicket away there is a very slight chance they could salvage a draw. More likely it will be over before lunchtime and England will go two down in the series making it most unlikely they can regain the Ashes. To do so they will have to win the remaining three tests. Methinks if they lose this one it is time for a clear-out and bring in some young blood. I include the team, the management and the selectors. Off to Headingley on July 6th for the next test.

Womens Test Series - Sadly it looks like the women's team has the same issue with their situation having suffered a heartbreaking 4 wicket loss with one ball remaining at Edgbaston. The next game is on July 6th and Australia need only to win two of the remaining two T20 or three ODI's to retain the Ashes.

Ok it lasted beyond lunchtime and Australia reverted to their default cricket playing mode, CHEAT. Well if not exactly cheating then certainly not playing within the spirit of the game. They could, should, have recalled Bairstow

Don't know what got into Bairstow's head just to wander off down the wicket. Not to mention the flak that the Aussies got after the game. Should result in an interesting third test certainly with a bit of spite. The Poms need another Larwood to give the Aussies a bit of "chin music". Can't wait to hear the crowd chants.

• Like 1