Anyone remember.........

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is true Stephan but when I come to power I will insist, even make laws that things revert to how they were, ban all trams and re instate a proper railway system using a north to south station so

My bra yes, the change chute, no.

Does anyone remember the enclosed overbridge that went through Victoria Station? I always used to find it an atmospheric sort of place.

Ashley...The entrance to the tunnel was demolished and sloped off and is now a pedestrian walkway from the park to B&Q car park.I was surprised in those days it wasn't blanked off,it was always full of rubbish and graffiti.I left the area before B&Q got the site...my workshop was at the bottom of a slope which has since been filled to make the car park level.

The brook was culverted through the embankment and I take it the water pit the other side (north) was built to take any excess water.I guess the first section of Five Ways park adjoining Mansfield Road is also intended as an excess water area.I don't know why the council don't create a landscaped ornamental lake there as it has no other use being boggy all year round.It would look well with a few willows and ducks.

The brook used to run through a tunnel near the Five Ways pub. There was also a short street of houses just above the Five Ways, on Edwards Lane, unless I am mis-remembering, that served as a training street for the army. It was probably purpose built during the war?

Apologies to all for the long quote list in my previous post - hit the wrong button and by the time I realised it was too late and I had to snip the quotes. I couldn't see how to undo my mistake :o((

The brook used to run through a tunnel near the Five Ways pub. There was also a short street of houses just above the Five Ways, on Edwards Lane, unless I am mis-remembering, that served as a training street for the army. It was probably purpose built during the war?

It was a training site for Civil Defence...some cracking pear trees in there...HUGE juicy fruit...that they cut down when they built the new houses.

• 2 years later...

Recall going in those "shells of houses", as I recall just four walls, holes for windows and doors, no stuffed dummies to bayonet as lead to believe! (was reminded many year later of the place watching the competition shoot out in the film Magnum Force) (Dirty Harry)

I was warned off those houses by parents. They said there were unexploded munitions in there.

Barclaycon: The image is from The Rise and Fall of Nottingham's Railway Network Volume 1 Lines in the City. Hayden J Reed. BLP books. Page 71

How's that?! :)

No munitions on that site. I was a member of the civil defence rescue team until the corps was disbanded. The house's were all built to give different training scenario's for practice rescues. The actual training rooms were the wood billets to the rear of the site.

The most important aspect of the whole site was the underground nuclear bunker.

Colin

Loads. I'll scan a few later - Transport Police here just now taking witness statements from SWMBO and me.

The following three pics are taken from: The Rise and Fall of Nottingham's Railway Network Volume 1 Lines in the City. Hayden J Reed. BLP books. Page 71 ISBN 1-901945-70-7

scan0002.jpg?gl=GB

scan0003.jpg?gl=GB

scan0004.jpg?gl=GB

I am sure that I have some photos of Thorneywood station with a loco in steam but I'm blowed if I can find them!

was it the railtour before the tracks were took up? re the photos, great not seen any of those before however the middle one is confusing? the route looks to be going downhill? whereas far I know after a short level stretch on leaving the GNR it was uphill at 1 in 70 inc through Ashwell's tunnel? what an ideal route for a tram line though?

I seem to remember reading that it was electrification of the (old) trams that sounded the death-knell of the NSR. No-one wanted to meander from Victoria to Thorneywood, Sherwood or Daybrook via Sneinton, when a corporation tram would take them direct up Carlton Road, Woodborough Road or Mansfield Road respectively - and much more frequently than the train service.

This is true Stephan but when I come to power I will insist, even make laws that things revert to how they were, ban all trams and re instate a proper railway system using a north to south station somewhere in the city with connections to the NSR, and intigrate the Robin Hood line into it, all loco's would be steam powered thus creating lots of jobs maintaining such and the reopening of local pits, might even introduce back to back workers houses with healthy outside toilets and a "nightsoil" man emptying such via the back passage, (it's no wonder there's lots of ill health with toilets next to or even en suite with bedrooms) Was also thinking of banning the parking of cars of workers coming into the city thus forcing them to use the trains, but on reflection realise they would surely never stand for that and I might lose alot of votes in the next election

• Upvote 2

Re- #69 - Ashley - hear what you say, and I'll certainly go along with the steam trains etc. but are you prepared to be the night-soil collector ?! Or, having come to power, would you reserve that for (as it now appears, a certain MP never actually said) "plebs"? Actually, the health hazards of that system might be a cue for a thread about Nottingham's redoubtable and long-serving medical officer Philip Boobbyer?

Ashley: it's an optical delusion. The bridge is Thakary's Lane looking towards Woodthorpe.

There are some more photos Barclaycon but none of the line when open. I think the one's I have may have been in a copy of Evening Post "Bygones" magazine.