Which seaside town was best?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a youngster we left the car in Skegness and caught the bus (As a family) down to Gibraltar Point intending to do a bit of birding and naturing (Me and Dad were keen birders my sister and Mum were i

It was to the South of Winscale (Seascale as she is now known) All I can really remember was that it was a pig of a place to get to ,a pig of a job to find when you got near there (No sign posts sayin

We would camp in the corner of a field which contained a derelict cottage right near the sand dunes. We did not encroach on the dunes as it was prohibited. Nearby was a sign which read 'No Camping on

Posted Images

Was that the place that was on the left as you drove north?

It was to the South of Winscale (Seascale as she is now known) All I can really remember was that it was a pig of a place to get to ,a pig of a job to find when you got near there (No sign posts saying "Top Secret Military Instalaion This Way" and nobody around to ask either ) a pig of a job to unload / as it was blowy as hell, a pig of a job to wait for the test firing, a pig of a job to reload, and then a pig of a job to drive back along all those pitch black, icy Lake District roads.

All in all a pig of a job !!

• Upvote 2

My niece posted a photo recently of a trip to Skeggy on facebook, with her dad leaning up against some railings on the seafront. There were wind turbines behind him in the sea. That was a surprise.

There was another phot' compnay, in competition with Wrates, can't recall the name but they had candy striped blazers & Wrates had red blazers (or vice versa). I can recall being on the prom' (The Pullover??) in Mablethorpe & both photographers would be snapping the family at the same time, give you the ticket & tell you the photo would be posted in their seafront booth later the same day!!

Me mam loved the idea, but dad insisted that his Kodak Brownie snaps were better, although only 2" x 3"!! Me mam said only reason his were better was that:

hewontonem!!

My niece posted a photo recently of a trip to Skeggy on facebook, with her dad leaning up against some railings on the seafront. There were wind turbines behind him in the sea. That was a surprise.

I'm amazed they're expecting any wind, at skeggy???????????.....................................Oh yeah, "Skegness is so bracing" .......I almost forgot

Ah yes "Skegness is so Bracing" said the Skegness morris dancer aka the Jolly fisherman.

Hi there Compo, regarding Sea Buckthorn, yes you can eat the berries; they're supposed to contain far more vitamin C then oranges, perhaps that's why the birds love 'em.

Ta mi duk!

I forgot to say, folks were dressed up for their holidays/day trip, because in those austere days, nobody had a holiday outfit. You didn't buy shorts or sandals to use for just a short time, everything you had, had to last you.

Cliff Ton posted a picture of a DUKW amphibious craft. As many of us remember, they were used to give rides on the beaches, post WWII. They were not only used at Skeggy and other such resorts but at least one was used in Nottingham itself. Here is a photo of a DUKW being used to evacuate flood victims in The Meadows area during 1947:

scan0009.jpg?gl=GB

anybody remember the "follies on parade" at the end of the pier, it used to be a bit cold walking back from watching them on a sunday night with the breeze blowing across.

THAT BOAT STILL IN ACTION OWNED BY THE GUY WHO OWNS BEESTON MARINA AND MORED OUT SIDE THE CAFE AND BAR.

MABLETHORP WAS ALWAYS OUR HOLIDAY DESTINATION EITHER GOLDEN SANDS OR THE MILL SITE SEACROFT RD HENCE WE WOULD ALWAYS BE SINGING AS WE WENT BACK FOR THE NIGHT UP AND DOWN SEACROFT RD IN AND OUT OF THE EAGLE THATS THE WAY DADS MOMEY GOSE POP GOSE THE WEASLE. IN THE EVENINGS WE WOULD GO TO ONE ORE THE OTHER PUBS IN MABO BUT WHEN WE STAYED ON THE MILL SITE WE WOULD ALWAYS END UP IN THE EAGLE AS IT WAS AT THE TOP OF SEA CROFT RD.

ONCE A YEAR WE ALWAYS WENT BY TRAIN WITH NETHERFIELD RAILWAY CUB TO SKEGNESS WE WOULD HAVE A TRIP OUT TO SEA ANDA MUST FOR MY DAD WAS GETTING ON THE CANAL BOAT THAT RUNS DOWN THE SIDE OF THE BEACH FROM THE CLOCK TOWER TO THE LITTLE FUNFAIR PAST NATURE LAND ,WE AS KIDS TOUGHT IT WAS GREAT BUT AS WE GOT OLDER REALIZED THERE WAS A METHOD IN DADS THINKING AS IT WS CHEAPER BECAUSE NOT SO MANY RIDES AT THAT END WE WOULD THEN WALK UP TO THE SHIP CALL IN FOR A DRINK AT THE SHIPFISH AND CHIPS FROM ACROSS THE RD AT MR SALTS AND THEN UP TO LUMBLEY FOR A DRINK IN THE BEAR GARDEN AND BACK ACROSS THE RD TO CATCH THE TRAIN HOME .WE HAD OUR OWN CARRIDGES ONE FOR THE MEN AND TWO FOR THE WOMEN AND KIDS THERE WAS ALWAYS BEER, POP CRISPS AND SANDWICHES TOO FOR EVERY ONE BUT MORE FOR THOSE KIDS WHO WERE NOT LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET FISH AND CHIPS SOME PARENTS TOOK A FEW SANDWICHES WITH THEM TO EAT ON THE BEACH AND THAT WOULD BE ALL THEY GOT TO EAT ALL DAY SO WHEN THEY GOT ON THE TRAIN THEY WOULD BE HUNGRY AND TIERED SO IF THEY DID NOT GET FED ON THE TRAIN THEY CRY AND PLAY UP SO IT MADE FOR A BAD JURNEY BACK FOR EVERY ONE SO THE COMMITEE OF THE CLUB ORGANIZED WITH THE LUMBLY TO LAY ON SANDWICHES CRIPS AND POP FOR THE JURNEY HOME. WHEN WE GOT BACK TO NETHERFIELD STATION MOST OF THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN WOULD HEAD OFF HOME AND THE MEN WOULD GO BACKTO THE CLUB BUT AS THIS WAS ONLY ACROSS THE RD FROM OUR ST WE WOULD GO IN FOR A LAST DRINK BEFORE GOING HOME TO BED, ARH THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Good old days indeed P&B. Was the Ship the pub at the very far end (North) of the promenade? You mention the private carriages - that's something they can't put on any more.

• 4 years later...

Compo. that photo, #64 looks like Hawthorne Street, I'm going by the factory chimney stack, looks like Hosene's.

Had good times in em all..................even Cleethorpes,Honest..............lol.

Anderby Creek. Had some great times camping there in the early to mid sixties.

Fires on the beach that my mate could even see from miles up the coast.

Potatoes out of the field. Hot pies and ale in the Axe & Cleaver in Huttoft I believe. Great days.

• Upvote 1

I've never been but have looked at some old pics of jaywick(which is now run down and home mostly to people on benefits)such a shame as judging by the old pics it looks like it was a lovely place once.

Before Spain became popular a lot of Local criminals used to like Anderby creek as a hideaway..............

Ok, keep it secret Benjamin.

Actually on one trip, three of us had got the train to Skegness and then the bus to Ingoldmells. We then thumbed a lift to Anderby and were given one in a mobile shop. I hate to say it, but we put bananas and other goodies into our bags.

I will always regret that despicable action, but my two mates were poor students.

We would camp in the corner of a field which contained a derelict cottage right near the sand dunes. We did not encroach on the dunes as it was prohibited.

Nearby was a sign which read 'No Camping on the Dunes' . My mate was merrily throwing a sheath knife at the sign when the local plod arrived. They totally ignored the knife thrower and told us that as we were on private property, we were technically trespassing.

We were advised to camp in the dunes. We didn't protest and retired the the dunes for the duration of the Bank Holiday weekend.

• Upvote 2