In one of the cemeteries? Forest Road or the one at Canning Circus; or perhaps part of the old church wall at the church just up fro the Salutation?

I would have said Lenton Abbey within the city, perhaps my age but to me anywhere within the old "bus protection signs" was the city, not that it's part of that abbey, nor part a church, the castle, trent bridge, in a cemetery or railway related, Stu noticed something, and Cliff Ton on the right lines, Wish I could give a better view or clue but it would give it away

is it a well?

It looks to be roughly 3ft diameter, which is about the same as the well in our garden. Could it be the remains of St. Anne's Well?

The old road bridge at the top of Arnot Hill Park, can't remember the road name. Taken from the railway embankment? ISTR the stone walling up there, although it is 30 years ago so I'm probably wrong.

I was thinking this way earlier but couldn't remember any likely places in the city: Is the graffiti on a pair of disused lock gates on a Nottingham canal somewhere, perhaps the Trent end of the Grantham Canal? Or the Canal basin by London Road?

I've an idea it's a type of sump or drainage feature of some kind in the foot of a dried up canal as Compo suggests. I know that ROT is your area Ash so I had wondered if it was on the Grantham Canal in the dry bit from Fosse Bridge near Cotgrave? I realise that's not really 'town' though.

Might it be the dried up Nottingham Canal near Lambourne Drive at Wollaton?