Arkwright Street

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

I dont see the point in demolishing all these buildings, yet leaving 3 that have been empty for years, do they think that once the tram goes past these they will be desirable lettings?

If that old bank is #1 Arkwright Street they've applied for planning to convert it into a law center. ie loadsa solicitors...Lovely Jubbly!

That would suit the area.

All of the old buildings on Carrington Street are now Solicitors.

Except the two hotels which are now doss houses.

That would suit the area.

All of the old buildings on Carrington Street are now Solicitors.

Except the two hotels which are now doss houses.

That alwats was the case in the 60s in that area.

A barrister without briefs is a Solicitor. ;)

I cant remember the names of the two hotels on Carrington Street (but someone will?)

I am sure they were quite upmarket in the 50s and 60s?

Thanks Cliff.

Yes you are right.

They were perfectly located for tourist or business visitors to the city using the train, or parking in the multi story car park opposite.

Shame they have been allowed to go downhill to such an extent!

• 4 months later...

Wal Mart is already here, Bought out ASDA, the original store in West Bridgeford was GEM.

Now ASDA-Walmart.

The Brand 'George' is an ASDA brand and is now sold in Wal-Marts in the US.

I wish,due to work commitments, waiting for health related tests,Thanksgiving,and my wedding anniversary this Thursday,22nd, 'my cup runneth over'

Beside all that,I can't leave for the cold climate of Nottingham, my blood is to thin,(it would freeze).All the best to you guys at the 'meet up',

• 2 months later...

I remember AMR I bought railway books from there it was run by a deaf/dumb bloke called Jack Gibbons, I went on a number of trainspotting trips and got to know Jack quite well, I never came across any funny buisness though or heard of any.

Brian.

Yes, AMR was 'Attenborough Model Railway' and it was on the right hand side past the railway bridge going from town. In the early 1960s it was the best place in Nottingham for railway books as Sisson & Parker never seemed to have any good ones.

There's a picture here:-

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM018610&pos=2&action=zoom

When the shop there closed (which may, or may not, have been when the demolition started) he moved his business to a first floor above a shop on Derby Road - that would have been by the mid-1960s. I can't remember when it finished there.

Definitely sells tobacco products by the signs in the picture and others on PTP but, the other items in the window seem to be large sweet jars and bottles??

Reference to a tobbaconist near AMR in another post on this thread. Cannot find any reference to Mallot's or 80 Arkwright Street elsewhere.

Could Mallott's be an off-licence?