Nottinghams hidden 'alleys'

After having a stroll down 'Nottinghams georgian shopping alley' .. One of my little loves of nottingham..I even love as your walking through the tunnely bit - look up, theres a little window covered in dust and cobwebs, i just love it!! i wondered how many of these alley ways are scattered about around nottingham that we dont know about or even notice?

IMG_8948.jpg

^^The georgian shopping alley ^^

....Anyone know of any? Or maybe some other unknown little gems of nottingham?

• Upvote 1

Next to Foxy's, Denshaw. & i love it for the same reasons, Stu! I would of LOVE to be able to spend a day in the 'olden times' just to see what it was like & looked like.

Oh & stu, forgot to say.. Walked past the record shop tonight. its gone, empty :(

You get a real 'feel' for a different era as soon as you step into Hurts Yard Pixie - especially from the top I think. Most people seem to pass by it every day without a second thought.

Shocked to hear about Rob's Record Mart. It was still open when I passed quite recently. Even more surprised as it looked as though Rob had been through a big clear out and reorganised the shop. Maybe Rob had enough of playing two or three gigs in a night then back to open the store in the morning?

A sad loss for Nottingham that.

I also like Cannon Court nearby with the very pleasant Alley Cafe.

2427523015_5d8f42480d.jpg

10691301.jpg

Think when the weather stops being so bitter & cold i might take a bus into town with baby & have a stroll around nottingham to find some little places like the one i first mentioned, I love walking around past the galleries of justice, i LOVE the cobbled road & old pavements. I also love it near the castle, the old houses near by... Gives you a real feeling of old nottingham. Iv allways been a fan of old buildings and history.

Maybe have an explore of this one Pixie. St. Mary's Gate just around the corner from the Galleries of Justice. Nottingham's original Theatre Royal. This is copied from my response to somebody contacting my blog site:

'I’m not sure how deep your interest is in music hall but there is another relic from that time that few Nottinghamians know about. There was an original ‘Theatre Royal’ in Nottingham which was placed on St Mary’s Gate in the Lace Market, a few doors up from the Keanes Head pub. All that remains of this original music hall now is a barren looking doorway of a white, arched design. Adjacent to it is a replica of it which was an electricity board building and built in sympathetic style.

The reason I know of this building is because I went to a talk about it at a local book festival once. The talker, Michael Payne, described the music hall scene of the time in great detail and with eloquence. He referred to such performers as Champagne Charlie and Paganini who appeared there. Apparently the theatre was latterly used as a warehouse before meeting it’s demise at the hand of the Luftwaffe in the 1940s’.'

A bit more about it:

Scroll down:

http://www.arthurllo...atres.htm#royal

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

Ill be certain to have a look at that.. Im guessing its near the contempory? Another place thats strange to think that there used to be a train line with regular steam trains running by the end of the steps that where there before they re did it.. well, well before they redid it to build the contempory.. or even broad marsh... Speaking of broad marsh, i bought Bygones the other day about the marsh land.. Apparently they could of avoided demoloshing drury lane or something hill lane - cant remember wich one so dont quote me on that, as it would of just ran past broad marsh when built - what a waste, one less historic place for nottingham.. There all slowly going.

& you have a blog site? you know, for ages iv wanted to become a blogger - iv read all sorts of online blogs, but i wouldnt know where to start or what to talk about lol. people will read half of a post n nod off! lol

Pixie, you may be interested to know of some booklets produced by the Nottingham Civic Society, which you can purchase from the Nottingham Visitor Centre. these are the " Get To Know Nottingham " series and the " City Guide " series. These are wonderful publications, which I have found to be fascinating. They will help you as you explore our great City.

Will have to have a look at those, thanks gibbo! It amazes me how alot of us will go into city centre for shopping or a night out and never notice all these 'oldy worldy' places, their like hidden gems.. Amazing places when you find them, like stepping into a new world or back in time. Its only a matter of time before most of them are nocked down or built over for modern buildings or roads.. Such a waste

Walk up High Pavement from Fletcher Gate with Contemporary on your right Pixie. Take the left turn into St. Mary's Gate when you reach the church railings. Go past the Keanes Head pub on your left and it''s just a little further along. All that's left is the original arched doorway (and a mock doorway next to it).

Blog is linked at the bottom of my posts The Tears of a Clown

Make one yourself free here - it's easy! You could do one all about Nottingham - post up all your thoughts and pics on there? WORDPRESS

Maybe have an explore of this one Pixie. St. Mary's Gate just around the corner from the Galleries of Justice. Nottingham's original Theatre Royal. This is copied from my response to somebody contacting my blog site:

'I’m not sure how deep your interest is in music hall but there is another relic from that time that few Nottinghamians know about. There was an original ‘Theatre Royal’ in Nottingham which was placed on St Mary’s Gate in the Lace Market, a few doors up from the Keanes Head pub. All that remains of this original music hall now is a barren looking doorway of a white, arched design. Adjacent to it is a replica of it which was an electricity board building and built in sympathetic style.

The reason I know of this building is because I went to a talk about it at a local book festival once. The talker, Michael Payne, described the music hall scene of the time in great detail and with eloquence. He referred to such performers as Champagne Charlie and Paganini who appeared there. Apparently the theatre was latterly used as a warehouse before meeting it’s demise at the hand of the Luftwaffe in the 1940s’.'

A bit more about it:

Scroll down:

http://www.arthurllo...atres.htm#royal

http://www.thisisnot...tail/story.html

Good post Stu I never knew the place existed, makes you wonder how much of our heritage has been lost in time, just spent the last hour reading what there is about it, the powers that be should rarely make an effort to at least include it on the tourist trail and maybe do a small exhibition in one of the existing sites, when you consider that Shakespere may well have performed there it's national heritage not just local.

There's not too much to see apart from a doorway (courtesy of the Luftwaffe) but it's worth using your imagination. The talk I went to about it was absolutely fascinating and brought about images of people crammed in to the old theatre watching the popular touring artists of the day. Some of the described behaviour by the crowds of the day was interesting!

When I'm in the City, I'm forever looking up at the buildings.....frightened of missing summat I suppose! My wife is forever telling me to get a move on....

These 'Alleys' are the few remaining yards from Victorian days.The cramped housing of the 1800s created them with houses crammed together and the yards being the means of access.Scouting through the 1881 maps shows just how many there were in old Nottingham.Hurts yard in the middle of the first map.

6fab747d.jpg

But for really packed housing,over Market Street was the area known as 'The rookery' with yards galore running from Parliament Street to the Square.This was one of the worse disease ridden areas of Nottingham along with Narrow Marsh with little or no sanitation.Nearly all demolished at the end of the 1800s and replaced by such as the Griffin and Spalding building the new main Post Office and the other Long Row stores.The Rookery was responsible for that side of the Market square being more or less a bog in wet weather for many years.

2d1ecf36.jpg

• Upvote 1

As an addition to poohbear's excellent maps of alleyways, here's a few photos of what those places actually looked like. No doubt everybody was very friendly and neighbourly, but not ideal living even back in those days

http://www.pictureth...014902&prevUrl=

http://www.pictureth...002402&prevUrl=

http://www.pictureth...000397&prevUrl=

I have a very large scale map of Broad Marsh & Narrow Marsh areas dated 1881

Scale 10 feet to the mile (1/500).

Map too big to scan as it is 42" x 28"

The number of small court yards and alley ways is amazing

By the way there was 6 pubs on Narrow Marsh later Red Lion Street /Cliff Road.