Nostalgic age.

When I write in this forum I see everyone, myself included, as between 16 - 25yrs old - I suppose that must be my nostalgic age. I wonder if anyone else always visualises members as being a generic age rather than a real age?

:crazy:

Yes Compo, Me to.

I find being older myself now I look on older people in a different light than I did when I was younger.

It seemed at the time that Older people were people who were old. Never gave it a thought that they were once young.

Now I see them as young people with wrinkles?

Yes, I tend to think along those lines. I've put it down to the fact that my youth was spent in and around Nottingham. I emigrated when I was 25. So I suppose I'm stuck in a time warp. When folks write about Nottingham I still tend to visualise it as it was back in the 60s. I guess I'm still a teen/twenty something inside, but the snow on the roof and wrinkles on the face tell another story.

As I am only 17 I am qualified to talk about this ;)

It's awkward to come to terms with the idea that an increasing percentage of the population is younger than yourself. I'm gradually coming round to it.

I think one of the biggest factors is that "old" people are not acting the way "old" people used to behave. For instance, when I was a kid, anybody over the age of 60-ish was definitely an old person who looked like my grandparents, doddered around a bit, wore old fashioned clothes, and got confused with anything remotely modern. Now people over 60 can look and behave like much younger types, and don't look like grey wrinklies.

Best example is look at the music business, people like Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey (The Who), Mick Jagger etc etc. They are all well over 60, but did your grandparents look like that? These days old people are acting and looking like much younger people. It's all too confusing for us older types.

Wouldn't it be nice (no, not the Beach Boys) if we could go back to our youth with the knowledge and money we have now? Even a pension of £100 per week would make us wealthy in comparison.

What i remember at my age of 16 was

Always being broke

A 56lb bag of taters

Feeding the meters if you had a penny even the Tv had a meter on it

Planning when you could turn the immersion heater on to get some hot water

Tv & radio licence

Beer bottle bike licence

Working 2 - 3 jobs before you figured out that it cost you more to get to the the jobs than you earned , I was told get a bicycle( Long Eaton to Carlton to Woolaton then home) .................................................................In your dreams

& if you were going somewhere you always made a plan about a week before.

Lucky Poo I was 21 when i finally finished my apprentiship & was now supposed to get 7 pounds 2/6 + a extra 5 shillings for passing the City & Guilds with credit but got the sack instead as i was too qualified.

Jackson and I grew up on the same street but once we left school, we didn't see each other much, then after marriage, we never saw each other again, and still haven't. I've not even seen a up-to-date photo of her so in my mind's eye, she is still looks like a teenager.

Yup. especially on hot days when it got really gooey. Right near the kerb you could do this, the rest of the road had gravel chips on it. When you think about it, there was always someone walking about on the street, folks walked everywhere. Always something to look at. I did a street view of my bit of the street the other day on Google Earth. Crikey, what a diference to when I lived there. For one thing, the entrance to the old nursery is now the entrance to a whopping great school behind my house! Not sure if 'big park' is still there, if it is, it's much smaller and 'little park' is gone and a building in it's place [community centre?] Most of the front gardens are slabbed over for the cars to park on. To sum it up, it looks a bloody mess, LOL.

In those days there was no traffic on a sunday.

Less cars and everywhere closed so nowhere to go if you had one.

As I remember, there were no cars at all at our end of Norton Street.

The short bit off Hartley road.

There was a guy on Crew Terrace that had a Dormobile.