More Council Lunacy

BRITAIN’S first council-imposed workplace parking charge scheme has begun, with firms likely to have to fork out a total of around £8 million in the first year.

Nottingham City Council, which is running the scheme, said it will help fund major transport improvements in the area.

But the AA dubbed the scheme "a tax on work" which would damage local businesses and employees.

Known officially as a Workplace Parking Levy (WPL), the scheme requires companies in the city of Nottingham to pay an annual fee of £288 for each parking space on offer to employees if more than 10 spaces are provided.

Companies with 10 or fewer places and emergency services do not have to pay any charge but do need to be licensed under the WPL scheme.

The money raised has to go on public transport. Schemes that will benefit include Nottingham's tram service, improvements to the city's rail station and bus improvements.

Councillor Jane Urquhart, the head of transport and planning on Nottingham City Council, said: "The WPL provides a vital funding stream. Without it we wouldn't be having two more tram lines, or indeed the railway station redevelopment, both of which are now under construction."

She added that WPL was "helping to slow the likely growth of road traffic congestion while raising money for further investment in our transport infrastructure".

AA president Edmund King said: "At a time when drivers are facing record prices at the pumps, further charges for parking at work are the last thing they need.

"This damaging 'tax on work' should be stopped from spreading elsewhere as it will damage the economy and hit employees who just can't afford it."

Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said: "The council blames commuters for Nottingham's congestion, but people travelling in to the city to work make it the prosperous place it is.

"Officials recognise many firms might simply pass the charges on to employees, adding another financial burden on to car owners already facing crippling running costs.

"Businesses and their workers also need to beware of the huge hike in prices already confirmed for the future. The levy will jump 15% next year and be 32% higher within three years."

From April 1 2013, the charge per space will increase to £334, rising to £364 in April 2014 and to £381 in April 2015.

Been paying it for months at Innovation Park, University of Nottingham and I resent it.

I had to buy a book of scratch card parking tickets at around £75 for fifty days parking - just to go to my place of work.

piggy 4th anniversary today of being made redundant and 4th anniversary of the last day of his treatment and things still looking good another blood test this week,

things were really difficult for us at the time but once we got settled into life with a little less money and worked out a new budgit for us to live we do ok , yes we are more restickted as to what we can spend and some of the luxeries have had to go but we manage

You also realized which was the most important too.

Glad to hear Piggy is doing well.

Since my Redundancy/enforced early Retirement I have not had a minute!

OMG! in 28 days time I will have been 'retired' one year!

makes me wonder how I found time to go to work. I go on another (national) site on the net which appears to attract snobs in it's live chat room, discussing their latest £40,000 car, their IT jobs, or of houses they own take great delight in winding them up, "glad you're earning so much, the more tax you pay the better my dole will be" "don't know what I'll do if they bring in this £600 limit on the social, wife loves her Merc but we won't be able to keep that and the Z4" or similar! lol (Before anyone asks, worked all my life till a few years before retirement, even after my heart bypass, but paying to get to work? are they totally trying to drive firms out of Nottingham? we'll have an empty city full of empty tram routes!

yes the main thing mick is he is still in remission from his cancer and it stays and we enjoy our lives the best we canand we all know how busy my social life gets at times like most people who no longer work we make the most of if and wonder how we found the time to go to work and as long i i have got enough money to eat put petrol in the car and go out with friends when we can afford it i dont mind. dont need to spend a lot when we go out for or magical mistory trip in the car pop in a flask and a couple of sandwiches point the car and go were ever it takes ususually only into derbyshireor mayby out to rutland. but we very really plan were we are going. on sunday we had arrange to take out our friends to squires motorcycle cafe nere leedswe picked them up of up there for lunch there treat for us taking them. had lunch looked round about 2pm dave sez shall we go for a bit of a drive and head of back home yes ok we say off we go ended up at flamborogh head then of down the coast to bridlington because one of them had never been before and headed the scenic route home through beverly ex down the old 614 route till we got to blyth iland and back homedid not get home till 8 pm but it was a great day and the only place we had realy planed to go was squires .makes the day much more interesting for us as passengers but of course i know that have has the drver has to think ahead to a certain extent.

Hi Babs,glad to hear Dave checked out OK,I got a clean sheet last week.

Denice and I never plan outings,you can't beat 'Flying by the seat of your pants'.

there is more exitement to the journey.

Hey Jackson, who said we got out of our first childhood. :yahoo:

• Upvote 1

NOT REALY JACKSON BUT NOW OUR KIDS GROWN UP AND OFF OUR HANDS ALTHOUGH THEY STILL AT HOME AND NO GRAND CHILDREN TO CONCIDER WHEN WE GO OUT WE CAN DO WHAT WE LIKE GO PLACES WE WANT TO GO TO NOT WHAT WILL BE OK FOR KIDS TOO SO IT CAN ALSO BE A CHEAP DAY OUT COUSE ITS NOT ALL CAN WE GO HERE CAN WE GO THERE CAN WE HAVE THIS CAN WE HAVE THATS ALL DAY LONG. BUT I STILL LIKE TO GO TO THE ZOO AND SAFARI PARK BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE SOME PARENTS STILL THINK PEOPLE ON THERE OWN SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED INTO THESE PLACES, WHILE I AGREE CHILD SAFTY MUST BE UPPER MOST SOME PEOPLE TAKE IT TOO FAR.

There are no parking fees at all anywhere in Wick and there are more spaces than cars.

thats stupid could have at least have discused it with him and if nessasary asked him to sighn something to say he was aware of the risks but was prerared to take then and wished to contiue with his allottment at his own risk but i surpose this comes as well from those people who sue for the sightest thing even when a lot of the responsibility is there own.

Come the next election David Bagshaw will be voted back into office by the people who are complaining about him. How many times do you hear people say "I've voted ??? all my life. My parents and grandparents voted for them and so will I" They vote for them irrespective of how they perform so they deserve what they get. If people voted these people out for being poor Councillor's then the incoming one's may think twice about smashing Nottingham's historic buildings down to make a new car park.

• 4 years later...