that's why god made the radio, what do you think

The new one from the inimitable Beach Boys, but made me think about what the radio gives us, over & above the visual media

Imagination???

• Upvote 1

There's something a bit more intimate about the radio.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but a few years ago radio listening stats were up while TV figures were deteriorating. I think this was put down to people increasingly using the internet while listening in to the radio at the same time. Tend to prefer internet and radio to TV watching myself too.

Before we had TV, you either went to the cinema, or if you had enough brass, the theatre, or listened to plays on the radio. Even on Sundays we listened to the Navy Lark, The glums, can't recall the name of the show now, Hancocks half hour and many more great radio shows...

Remember the sci-fi serial, Journey into Space, with Jet Morgan in the mid 50s. Used to be allowed to stay up late to listen to that programme. Still remember when the spaceship was sinking into the ground on a strange planet and the programme finished until the next week!

Apart from documentaries, Arts programmes - which rely upon the visual; drama - in short supply these days; I find televison, most of the time boring.

Whereas the radio, immediately stimulates my Imagination - especially the plays. Note that I choose to use a capital letter for the word: 'Imagination'; because I consider this to be the finest thing that we humans possess and we should work it regularly.

Albert Einstein, physicist was a great believer in the Imagination. :)

Before we had TV, you either went to the cinema, or if you had enough brass, the theatre, or listened to plays on the radio. Even on Sundays we listened to the Navy Lark, The glums, can't recall the name of the show now, Hancocks half hour and many more great radio shows...

The name of the show containing the Glums ("Oh Ron....") was Take it from Here.

"I'm Sorry, I'll Read that Again" was also on Sunday around lunchtime - I will never forget:

"Mr & Mrs Aceousborder and their son, Herb"!

"I'm Sorry, I'll Read that Again" was also on Sunday around lunchtime - I will never forget:

"Mr & Mrs Aceousborder and their son, Herb"!

There was a repeat of "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" later in the week (in the evening I think) - invariably introduced, "It's I'm sorry, I'll read that again, again - ha, ha, ha!" - followed by the theme song (My name is Angus Prune, and I've got a tune - it's called I'm sorry, I'll read that again...etc.)

• 1 year later...

I was brought up on the Goons and Round the Horne - I remember as a naive nine year old asking my dad why Julian and Sandy spoke the way they did (using a few words of what I later found out was Polari), and him turning red and changing the subject. :blush:

Sing Something Simple on the car radio as we came home from our regular day trips to Derbyshire - always seemed to start as we came through Ripley and Heanor. How I hated that programme!

Later, as my music tastes developed beyond pop, Radio Luxemburg and Radio Caroline, a must-listen-to was Extravaganza on Radio Nottingham with John Holmes and Ashley Franklin every Saturday morning, followed by a pint or two with Ashley in the Bell at lunchtime. I seem to recall that Trevor Dann produced the show?

The best thing about radio is that you can absorb it with your eyes closed.

Oh the joys of the wireless, The Navy Lark, Round the Horn, The Clitheroe Kid, Sing Something Simple, Two Way Family Favourites, but the best, to me anyway has to be Archie Andrews and Peter Brough, fantastic, a ventriloquist on the wireless, well I for one never saw his lips move

Sunday early evening,I think it was after 'Sing something simple','Journey into Space'.

Back then it was the 'wireless' we use to listen to.

As a little kid 6/7, I would get up at 5 am with my dad, while he was getting ready for work I would listen to the shipping forecast,I was intrigued by the various names given to areas in the sea around Britain.

They also gave information on the fishing fleets,and their home ports.

The sea areas covering the waters around the British Isles are as defined by the map shown here: My favourites were North & South Utsire (pronounced Utt-seerah

• Viking
  • North Utsire
  • South Utsire
  • Forties
  • Cromarty
  • Forth
  • Tyne
  • Dogger
  • Fisher
  • German Bight
  • Humber
  • Thames
  • Dover
  • Wight
  • Portland
  • Plymouth
  • Biscay
  • Trafalgar
  • FitzRoy
    (formerly Finisterre)
  • Sole
  • Lundy
  • Fastnet
  • Irish Sea
  • Shannon
  • Rockall
  • Malin
  • Hebrides
  • Bailey
  • Fair Isle
  • Faeroes
  • Southeast Iceland

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Aww Paulus, I was thinking you were dead clever knowing all those sea/fishing areas around the British Isles and then you go and spoil it by telling us you cribbed off of Wikipedia. Didn't the shipping forecast used to be on a 1.50pm every day?

Something that I will probably always remember was the Saturday evenings when total silence was demanded in the household. My father would sit at the table, pen/pencil in hand and religiously listen to the radio..............................................for the football scores!

The voice coming over the radio, giving each team and their score in every Division of the League seemed to drone on forever.....Nottingham Forest...one.............Wolverhampton Wanderers....twoooo.

In all the years, I only remember him winning once at the Pools. Saturday night he thought he was rolling in money with so many draws and the next day shot down in flames when he found out everybody else in Britain had the same draws. just a few quid!