'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

Good for you, Pixie. today I have sorted out some old window frames in order to measure them up for use as a cold frame in the garden. I currently have a streaming cold though and it's not been an easy task :(

JOIN THE CLUB COMPO WE ALL GOT IT AT OUR HOUSE. ALL ON ANTI BIOTICS NOW SO HOPE TO BE OK BY FRIDAY AS A BUSY WEEKOR SO COMMING UP. FOR ME AND DAVE AND GLAD TO SAY NOT IN THE GARDEN BUT OUT SOCIALIZING

I still have soeme red cabbge, leeks and sprouts growing. The sprouts, like most other stuff, have not done well this year.

Been saying this(link below) about allotments for a year or two now.

The T.V. gardeners make no mention of how much GRAFT it takes to maintain an allotment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/plants/vegetables/allotments/9754198/Amateur-gardeners-inspired-by-TV-being-turfed-off-overgrown-allotments.html

Been saying this(link below) about allotments for a year or two now.

The T.V. gardeners make no mention of how much GRAFT it takes to maintain an allotment.

http://www.telegraph...allotments.html

PS in the growing season I put in over ten hours a week & in winter I tend to work when the weather permits

It really can get out of hand very quickly. I have 2 acres of poor land in northern Scotland and since taking early retirement last year have managed to keep on top of it but only because I have several large landscaped areas that can be left to semi-wildness without looking bad to the eye. It took many years of hard graft to get it from a rough tipping ground for rubbish to what it is now.

Feeling alot better now, a course of antibods sorted it out! But its my daughters turn to go down hill, but she has a tummy bug, poor lass, and poor mummy having to change them nappies every half hour! Yuckie!!

Cant wait to get the garden here sorted, its depressing enough without this weather, but one good thing is iv managed to chuck some buckets out to collect the rain to slap in the fish tank on its next water change. Need to find a way of getting up a ugly concrete path so i can turf it! And i need to weather proof a shed the past tenant built from breeze blocks etc, did a good job but the sheds sweating/dripping from the roof and everything insides gone mouldy! lovely! But it is about 8ftx6ft... not a bad size, could rent it out! haha. Lots to keep me busy this spring outside

Yeah iv been told to pop a couple of vents in, it has a double glazed/upvc window in so i wasnt sure weather opening it a tiny bit would help or make it worse. Getting a couple of vents put in and getting some weather proof paint on the outside (for the problem and to make it look nicer than grey breeze blocks lol)

Ventilation is essential Pixie. Opening a window a little will not really help because you need a "Through flow" of air. It needs to come in one way and go out another in order to take the moisture laden air out. It will be worth it though :)

Funnily enough my son and his wife lived for a couple of years in a small modern (built within the last 5 years) two bedroom house. It was one of eight in a block - four each side, and therefore literally, back to back. Even with modern central heating it proved to be very susceptible to damp - black mould rapidly taking hold on the walls etc. However, my understanding was that the main objection to back-to-back was the enormous fire risk, especially with open fires and gas stoves etc. with exit only on one side.

Ventilation is essential Pixie. Opening a window a little will not really help because you need a "Through flow" of air. It needs to come in one way and go out another in order to take the moisture laden air out. It will be worth it though :)

The roof seems to be dripping alot, but i cant work out of its a leak or condensation. The roof is wood and im not sure if its even finished being built. Ill grab a pic once the rain calms down, but i think the waters getting in somehow because its worse when its raining. Going to take out everything thats gone mouldy that im able to save, chuck the stuff i cant, and put the stuff that can get damp in the loft as the lofts been sorted after i moved in. Feel like knocking it down and having a bigger garden! lol

It may not have been felted. If not it is not a huge job and can be done quite easily. A builder's merchant will sell you the stuff and you can get a book on how to do it from the library or as likely as not on the internet! :)

:) Well, I was hoping to get my back garden tidied today but no such luck: rain has been forecast for the next three days :unsure:. But, ever the optimist me and I hope that some dry spells intercept - more for those people suffering with floods rather than the Christmas period. :)