'How does your garden grow?'

Love the Yucca flower in your garden, Rog...what's the secret of getting them to flower like that?

More snow and sleet forecast for my area this weekend.  I shall be in the Cairngornms and hopefully enjoy the snow from the comfort of a BR MkI carriage and a steam locomotive on the Strathspey Steam Railway for it fist operational day if the year.

• Like 1
  • Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

Don't know if theres any secret Paul but the roots are under a permeable sheet with flint gravel over it so the roots are in a damp environment,the top is in full sun,when we get some,the main plant has now gone as it too overpowering and started choking other stuff but every year we get about half a dozen baby Yucca's coming up from the rhyzomes thats still left in the ground

Rog

• Like 1

As a point of interest if you look at the picture with the Lupins in the foreground slightly to the left of them in the rocky part of the garden is a "striped rock" it is actually a Mammoth tooth that came up from one of the quarries I worked at, I did have a few of them but the grandchildren have took them all now and given them to the schools, there is one or two fossils still in the rockery along with quite a lot of "round" flint rocks,unusual to see round rocks (all from the quarries) so a good talking point if anyone is looking around the garden

Rog

• Like 1

Well I've done it now,I gave the grass it's first cut of the season so that means it'll be my job every weekend from now until the back end of autumn,only a light cut today with the blade of the mower raised a couple of notches,the strip of land that is in the field at the back of my garden I also cut down using my strimmer so all is looking neat and tidy apart from the moss in the grass,I have another petrol mower with a scarifier blade on that should take care of that though,greenhouse all tidy with sweet peas just poking through as is the blue trailing lobelia  seeds,all my garden planters and pots have had a good wash with soapy water and are drying nicely,I fixed some fan shaped trellis to the front wall at the side of the living room window ready for the sweet peas to climb up,weeds removed from the flint gravel that's on the front garden although there was hardly any,footpaths swept,garden tools wiped clean and oiled and put away,mower and strimmer brushed off and put in the garden tools shed,time for a sit down and a cuppa,I'm knackered

Rog

• Like 1

No problem as usual. Just an edit ! Ok ? 

2 hours ago, NewBasfordlad said:

Ian your going to love me. Bordeaux mixture of exactly that formula was banned by the EU November 2015. I don't why as it is one of the best preventative fungicides going.

A flame thrower is just as effective !

• Like 1

I was killing some weeds that had come through in my greenhouse the other week with a blowlamp,ended up cutting new pieces of glass to replace the ones I cracked with the bloody thing :crazy:

Rog

• Like 3

They say you are closer to heaven in a garden than anywhere else on earth. Well at my age I'm too bloody close already so I've done away with the garden!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ARGH! Me bleddy garden is ruined!  Flipping long cold and windy winter has turned all my bushes brown :( This is the first time this has happened since the long winter of 2010.  Looks like being a sparse summer in the borders this year :(