'How does your garden grow?'

You might call them weeds Ms.J but I call them flowers. They are:

Common name : Fox and Cubs (Hawkweed, Orange Hawkweed, Hieracium, Devil's Paintbrush)

Latin name : Hieracium aurantiacum, syn. Pilosella aurantiaca

Family name : Asteraceae/Compositae

Hardy perennial (come back every year).

IMG_4344.jpg?t=1341232608

IMG_4343.jpg?t=1341232605

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

Fantastic.

I have been wanting to know what they are for years.

When you say perrenial.

Do they come back from the root each year.

I thought they were re seeding themselves?

The tops die back in Winter and then reappear in Spring. In late summer they seed in the same manner as dandelions. They are members of the Aster family so seeds are airborne away from the parent plant. The seeds begin to grow immediately and by next year will have a root that will flower in June/July. Mine have been there for about ten years now.

The next time I visit the US, I wont tell Immigration that I have it in my garden.

It is on the noxious weeds quarantine lists of several states of the US, cultivation prohibited In Alberta.

In Australia, the plant is considered a noxious weed. Tasmania it is quarantined. In New Zealand it is closely watched

I really don't care what 'foreigners' think - I like it, so in my garden it stays.

thumbsup

Compo, your garden looks exactly like mine doesn't! I don't even have a flowering weed yet! It's drier than dust here, today is the 66th day of dry weather, if it reaches Friday without rain it will beat the 1903 record of number of dry days in a row.

Poohbear, if I lived nearer I'd come and dig your garden over, I loved doing that, very satisfying.

You can pop over and dig it with pleasure... :biggrin: It's rained here every day for about a month...some days only a sprinkle....I'll give you an example.I put my hanging baskets up the second week in May...I've watered them ONCE!

It said on the news tonight that this June was the darkest and wettest since records began in 1910

:) A good idea for seeing what your garden lacks is to take digital photos of the many areas within it; through doing this you will be able to ascertain which areas are lacking in colour.

:) Having done the above, all I have to do now is take a trip to the nearest Morrisons / Wilkos, to check out some end of season plant bargains - to apply some colour to the neglected areas within my gardens. :)

One snag: My nearest Wilko is 300 miles away, my nearest Morrisons is 90 miles away and doesn't have a garden section. My nearest proper garden centre is in Inverness 110 miles away. It's like Going to London from Notts without a motorway in order to get your plants. In fact, my nearest motorway is in Perth 220 miles away and my nearest bit of dual carriageway is at Tore, 100 miles away.

thumbsdown

:)Re your photograph @ #172: one only has to consult this to recognise that you already possess a good colour sense Compo; perhaps the addition of a little deep blue dotted here and there, the same with a warm red (always lifts the picture) and a few dots of golden yellow.

And that would make 'Compo's Compo/sition' just Perfect. :biggrin:

It said on the news today there is a lot of Spannish slugs this year (They are huge)

Is there nothing for them to eat in Spain? & how did they get here................................................ "ferry"? ;)

Expert advice regarding snails administered to me long ago by an old-school gardener.

1. Place snail between first finger and thumb.

2. Throw over next door's garden.

It works by the way.

• Upvote 1

Expert advice regarding snails administered to me long ago by an old-school gardener.

1. Place snail between first finger and thumb.

2. Throw over next door's garden.

It works by the way.

I tried that they came back S........L...........O...........W.............L............Y :)

:) There is absolutely nothing wrong with Snails - all part and parcel of Nature.

In fact I think Snails fascinating: the way they graciously move slowly, carrying their homes upon their backs, erect antennae to the fore - if only life was as simple for we humans. :)

PS: Some humans could do with being thrown over next door's garden, or to make life easier for us we could get hold of a Great Big Catapult and do the honours that way!

:biggrin: What a pleasure that would be!