'How does your garden grow?'

Ah the famous Sherpa Tencigs; so called because he was once chain-smoked a whole packet of fags in a drinking session with Sir Edmund Hilary after a night on the town.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

Ah the famous Sherpa Tencigs; so called because he was once chain-smoked a whole packet of fags in a drinking session with Sir Edmund Hilary after a night on the town.

Did he not have a friend called Burt Lungcancer? ;)

And another called Anthony Quim, who used to hang around with Alan Ladds-Nightout, John Payne-inthebutt and Yul Coppit. They had a beturbaned Indian bearer called Randi Ram. Ladies of the night came at Vincent's Price in those days.

Groan.....

isitsafe

Taken from my garden the other day - a near vertical rainbow:

IMG_4446.JPG

Fledgeling swallow in the shed. Five were successfully reared in this brood:

IMG_4462.jpg

Cracking sunset the other day:

IMG_4455.jpg

• Upvote 1

Norrabadun considerin' as I dint bogger abaht wi'it. Just took the photer and darnloaded it t't forum.

Heard a good discription of our soil on the allotments "porridge"

Tried to dig up some potatoes yeaterday even a foot down the soil is saturated, if our ground wasn't well drained we would be under water.

Potatoes very poor even for this time of the year.

:) Well, one thing's for certain, there's a particular plant thriving on the amount of rain we've had recently and that's the Hydrangea.

Hydrangeas, you either love 'em or loathe 'em (as is the case with Madonna).

Me?: I love 'em. :)

I have five bushes of them in my back garden; of them all I favour the cream Hydrangea. It's done Super Well this year increasing its flowers, they look strong too. Last year it didn't take much rain to diminish its blooms, yet this year the flowers are standing up to the recent rain bashing.

The Hydrangeas growing in the front gardens of some neighbouring properties are putting on a wonderful show. Passing by a bungalow today I marvelled at a complete hedge - must have been about 20ft long - of pink Hydrangeas; an attractive feature for a garden.

Blue Hydrangeas too, grow in profusion around where I live. I love the colour: blues, mauves and pink flowers mingling together. I believe a blue Hydrangea is created by either giving the plant drinks of cold tea or placing iron pieces near to it; anybody tell me?

:) Let the year 2012 be designated as 'The Year of the Hydrangea'. :)

Ah, the hardy Madonna, very attractive in it's early years, but liable to become gnarled & sinewy if allowed to grow wild & untended............ :)

Hi Jackson,

Yes you can put iron filings around the base of the plants to produce different colours, picked that one up from an old allotment holder friend of mine, unfortunately no longer with us

Rog

Another thing that likes the rain is grass.

Not been able to cut it for two weeks. Its a foot high now.

It was flooded for days and now is waterlogged!

The things that are managing to thrive in my garden this year are the begonias (in planters) and busy lizzies. Surprisingly, the outdoor tomatoes are doing pretty well in spite of things too - may have a long wait for some ripened fruit though!

My hydrangeas got frosted and knocked right back to the ground. One has died, the remainder will not flower this year. Just spent two days strimming grass in order to be able to mow if it ever dries out. Spuds doing badly - also frost bitten in June. Tunnel and greenhouse several weeks behind schedule. The only place that is doing ok is the railway rockery. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Railway rockery is doing ok this year (left of picture); all else is a diz arse ter. I wonder how far I can go with my guerilla gardening before Network Rail move in with the weedkiller?!

IMG_4475.jpg?t=1342434109

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the opposite platform every fortnight during the growing period. I planted spring bulbs over there some years ago, along with spring flowering saxifrages and other rock plants. The platform is made of stones with grass growing on top. I also planted the trees and shrubs. The shrubs are not doing well and are out of sight in this picture.

I take it that still belongs to the rail company, do they not mind particularly as you have to cross the tracks?

However your improvement to what would normally be an overgrown area is comendable.

Passing rail passengers must appreciate your hard work.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't imagine the passengers know who cuts the grass. I'm certain the railway knows (Ours is the only house near the line for several miles in either direction) but turns a blind eye. Wouldn't happen in more populated areas though.