jackson

'How does your garden grow?'

Talking of ants, very few here this year. Likewise wasps and hornets. Plenty of bees though - it was/is a bumper year for the lavender harvest.

• Like 1

That pumpkin looks like a piel de sapo melon. Several small growers of them around here. The keep very well into winter.

It does a bit Jonab, had one the other day as at the moment our melons are a hit and miss but piel di sapo you can guarantee they are always good.

Re ants I think they are all down here. Flying ants are beginning to congregate.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

What are you going to do with your pumpkin ?

I think I shall invite the entire village up for a feast, Nonna!

:rotfl:

• Like 1

Pity I'm not nearer.

What does the Piemont grape crop look like this year, Brenda?

Although not renowned for grapes here, there are a lot grown and to me (very much a non-expert in viticulture) it appears to be a very good year.

In fact, it looks to be a good year for all the harvestables - farm crops and perfumery raw materials.

Not sure Jonab. The vendemmia hasn't started yet and the grapes seem to be still small so will either have to ask my neighbour , they have vineyards all round us or go for a walk down the road to see, which at the moment is what I'm not very capable of doing. I pass in the car but as the roads around here are very narrow its best I only take a quick look. The moscato grape will be the first and I think that will be towards the end of august.

Could someone tell me when I cut my roses in pots back please? Is it when the leaves fall off? How far do I cut them back? Also same for my fuscia.

No good me growing roses then, we're away during that period!!

10 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I prune my roses in November and again in February, if needed.

I've got a small (4ft) White rose bush in the front. It's still producing flowers - Do I leave it alone, or prune it back for Spring?

S.G., one theory is that if you cut back at this term of year it may encourage the plant to put a spurt on to make new growth, which you don't  want, because the plant needs to rest and winter weather won't  help it. Personally, my choice is, if there are no more flowers I  prune. I've  trimmed Rose's right back to about 6-8" and they've  done very well. I found that roses at this late in the year don't  always open or just rot away. Having said that, we've  got two little beauties growing near the door in a pot. The plant only being about 18" high.

I tend to prune very lightly when the flowers have all finished, then properly prune around the end of March

Does anyone grow Bamboo?

I'm looking for a clump forming variety which will grow up to, but no higher than about 12 feet.  I want it to provide light screening, without being too dense.. also ideally evergreen. Any ideas?

Just a word of warning DJ, bamboo is the fastest growing grass. My neighbor had some in their garden and it totally destroyed their patio, slabs lifting ect. When I went round to relay the slabs, i couldn't believe the root system, they were thicker than my finger and a good way from the actual plant. It took considerable effort to get rid of the damm thing!!

I agree with Waddo Dj don't go there they can be a thug, You could grow it in tubs

that's the only way to stop them spreading 

• Like 1

....or keep a couple of pandas in your garden.....

• Like 3

Thanks for the encouragment peeps... :rolleyes:

I am aware that Bamboo can be invasive, which is why I said I was looking for a 'clump forming' variety/species.  The RHS web site gives lots of info and differentiates between 'clumping' and 'spreading' varieties.  I was just hoping for a personal recommendation.

You just have to do your research Dj, I do know there is a black stemmed one that

may not send up tap roots but I don't it's name.  

No worries Sue. I'll check out the various UK Bamboo suppliers and see what they recommend.  If I get it right.. I may also end up with a source of Bamboo canes for my Beans...:biggrin:

• Like 1