:) I often take a trip out to Southwell - courtesy of my bus pass. First thing I do when I arrive at the historic town is take a walk up through the twitchell to the local Co-op. In there, I'll buy sandwiches and fruit, plus a couple of cans of something - normally Gin and Tonic. Then I'll make my way to the Minster, choose a pew in the grounds.

I'll enjoy my meal, read a little and then go take a look around the Minster and consider the wonderful gargoyles and architecture of this beautiful, historic church - both inside and out.

Afterwards, I'll normally visit the library - love libraries; how civilized of the place to provide a drinks making machine now. Oh, and then after the library I'll visit the antique shops - take a browse round.

Take a trip to Lincoln Jackson,the cathedral is an amazing structure to walk around inside and out.

If you take the pedestrian route,up the steep hill from the town,be sure not to hit the 'gin and tonic' till you reach the top. thumbsup

• 1 month later...

Whilst in Lincoln don't forget to pay a visit to the Lincolnshire Life Museum in the old barracks on Burton road, similar to the Brewhouse yard museum in Nottingham with all the old style shops and house rooms done out in the late 1800's decor,plus all the old agricultural machinery from way back, also on the plus side is it's FREE with FREE parking

Rog

Visiting Lincoln?

Always park at the bottom end of town and walk up to the Cathedral area.

Save the easy downhill walk for the last part of your visit.

As you go up the hill towards the Cathedral, visit 'The Jews House' on the left.

Its like a local history society.

There is also a nice Indian that does good lunches, also on the left.

I don't tend to bother with the lower part of town when visiting Lincoln, it's just the same shops as anywhere else. I park up behind the Cathedral area and tend to stay up there and along Steep Hill. Brayford Pool is worth a visit though.

Have to agree with Rog's words about the Lincolnshire Life Museum. Visited there for the first time time summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. A great little free facility.

I tend not to stop at all when in Lincoln, I have my chauffeur drive straight through and take me between RAFs Scampton and Waddington..............................(Cheers Rog )

We went to Lincoln yesterday. Theres usually somewhere to park for free at the top,near Bailgate,so we start there and go down Steep Hill,although sometimes we turn right part way down on to Michaelgate, just to confirm that the ugliest new build in Lincoln is still there. I can only assume that the owner had some friends in planning.

Coming back up steep hill,after lunch in the Royal William IV, on Brayford Waterfront was a challenge though,and at one point a chap with a walking stick was making better progress than me.Great place though.

As stated, went over to Lincoln this week.

There is a drunk problem down the bottom end certainly.

The houses at Sincil Bank are now bed sits an the area is not a good one.

Lincoln itself remains an impressive city.

Hope the can get rid of the street beggars tho!

Reading about all the interesting things available within the City of Lincoln, I've decided that I'm going to take my grandchildren for a visit this coming weekend.

It's been such a long time since I visited the Cathedral: Amazing Architecture and such a History. My grandson was awarded top place in his recent History exam, so I am sure he will appreciate a visit. :)

Behind some of the pillars you can see graffiti scribed into the stone by medieval people.

See if you can find the Lincoln Imp in the cathedral take a pic if you can find it

There are 365 steps up to the roof

By the way i went down steep hill on rollerskates.

athough one of my sisters lives just on the outskirts of lincoln a small village called cherry willingham i have only every been to lincoln forxmas market and for bike fest keep saying i am going for the day as lincoln is one of places you can get mobility scooter hire but i think its at the bottom of the hill.but i will do it one day when its not so busyused to love the christmas market but it too much for me to walk round know and too busy to get scooter round eaisly so we not been last two years

• 2 months later...

Whilst in Lincoln don't forget to pay a visit to the Lincolnshire Life Museum in the old barracks on Burton road, similar to the Brewhouse yard museum in Nottingham with all the old style shops and house rooms done out in the late 1800's decor,plus all the old agricultural machinery from way back, also on the plus side is it's FREE with FREE parking

Rog

Yes Rog very interesting, Cafe is good too.

When I ever go to Lincoln(2 or 3 times a year ) I always head towards the cathedral area.

There are plenty of s/h bookshops & antique shops for me to look round.

+ guess what a nice pub or two.